Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long distance in France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to get my MS in September, but it seems like I have to wait forever. In the meantime one keeps oneself busy with dreams. So here's my dream: how would I drive my MS to the South of France in the shortest time in (say) October?

Specifically, when we drove to to the Marseille region a few weeks ago I noticed that E.LeClerc has charging stations about quite a few motorway service stations, e.g. Just south of Lyon. But I havent found the specs for them anywhere. Further, I found that there are seemingly some high power charging stations around (e.g. Metz & Nancy). But again, the specs are not entirely clear and, perhaps the most important question, how does one pay?

The trip I have in mind would be from (say) Eindhoven to Aix-en-Provence. I guess one would need to charge around Metz/Nancy and Lyon. Any ideas? (I'm fine with replies in Dutch, just don't write it too well myself...)

Due to get my MS in September, but it seems like I have to wait forever. In the meantime one keeps oneself busy with dreams. So here's my dream: how would I drive my MS to the South of France in the shortest time in (say) October?

Specifically, when we drove to to the Marseille region a few weeks ago I noticed that E.LeClerc has charging stations about quite a few motorway service stations, e.g. Just south of Lyon. But I havent found the specs for them anywhere. Further, I found that there are seemingly some high power charging stations around (e.g. Metz & Nancy). But again, the specs are not entirely clear and, perhaps the most important question, how does one pay?

The trip I have in mind would be from (say) Eindhoven to Aix-en-Provence. I guess one would need to charge around Metz/Nancy and Lyon. Any ideas? (I'm fine with replies in Dutch, just don't write it too well myself...)

I don't know about the other stations, but
if CHAdeMO would be supported, you should be fine -when using the E11 (Paris, Orleans, Clermond-Ferrand)
+ several stations in the Provence.

ScreenShot018.jpg

Hi Martijn, If you look at Metz, for instance, there's Renault high power station listed. But it's not clear what the spec is, Type 2, or what. Also I wonder how one needs to pay? This being Europe, there will be a dozen different ways of paying, with harmonization planned for 2056.

Would be good to get this worked out before the MS's get delivered...

Cheers.

I think we have to assume that since there are quite a few Zoe's out there in France, there has to be some infrastructure as well. Maybe contact @RenaultZE via Twitter for some info...

Was just browsing on the subject. It seems that the supermarket chain E.LeClerc has a deal with Renault to provide charging stations. The Renault Zoe uses Type 2 connectors and can go to 44kw charging. So one has to hope that LeClerc's charge points will support the MS @ 22kw. The reason that I mention LeClerc is that I noticed several charge points at the 2nd motorway service station after Lyon, heading south.

Will be driving down that way again in the summer, so will check out the services again.

Problem with Leclerc is their charging outlets is Type 3 or standard 220V@16A. So you have to have a cable with Type 3 on one side, the other side have to be J1772 (to complete with tesla adapter), or directly tesla plug.
Does someone know if Tesla will provide a menekes adapter for rest of Europe ? France is the only country not using Menekes, but soon, chargers will be converted to use it too
leclerc-maiziere-les-metz_717.jpg

Problem with Leclerc is their charging outlets is Type 3 or standard 220V@16A. So you have to have a cable with Type 3 on one side, the other side have to be J1772 (to complete with tesla adapter), or directly tesla plug.
Does someone know if Tesla will provide a menekes adapter for rest of Europe ? France is the only country not using Menekes, but soon, chargers will be converted to use it too
Model S Options Pricing | Tesla Motors
See Charging section.
Tesla will be using a Type 2 charge port in Europe.

If it were me, I'd simply "conduire" to the nearest TGV stop and plug my car into the trains overhead wires. :)

Or take the train, period! I've made the trip from Paris GDL to Nice, via Lyon, Marseilles, (LGV Mediterranee) many times, driven it via Lyon, Condrieu, Aix twice. Long drive but the train is nothing like the rubbish in the USA. In the days before I thought of looking for EVSE.

It sickens me to think the next time I am in France I'll be driving a rental Diesel car. From Nice Gare.

If it were me, I'd simply "conduire" to the nearest TGV stop and plug my car into the trains overhead wires. :)

Or take the train, period! I've made the trip from Paris GDL to Nice, via Lyon, Marseilles, (LGV Mediterranee) many times, driven it via Lyon, Condrieu, Aix twice. Long drive but the train is nothing like the rubbish in the USA. In the days before I thought of looking for EVSE.

It sickens me to think the next time I am in France I'll be driving a rental Diesel car. From Nice Gare.

Tiz quite a lot more expensive than our XC90 with four people plus three weeks of hairspray, makeup and other teenage girl accessories & thus much more expensive than the Tesla. Also difficult to take our boat on the TGV.

- - - Updated - - -

Tiz quite a lot more expensive than our XC90 with four people plus three weeks of hairspray, makeup and other teenage girl accessories & thus much more expensive than the Tesla. Also difficult to take our boat on the TGV.

Geen nieuw draadje aanmaken levert een willekeur aan oude draadjes op die beter konden blijven slapen. Is dit beter dan gewoon een nieuw draadje aanmaken?

(on topic) Ik moet van de winter naar west Frankrijk. Het aantal SuCs begint toch wel aardig toe te nemen maar ik zie nog wel een behoorlijk gat rondom Amiens. Hoe is jullie ervaring daar met een model X 70D, haal ik dat zonder range anxiety?