Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain what a Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance edition is? A Long Range Model 3 does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. If I get the software Performance software update for $2K it brings the 0-60 down to 3.9 (or so I read). Tesla lists several pre-owned Model 3s Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance editions with a 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. That is the same 0-60 as the Performance only edition. I don't see a way to configure a new Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance edition with a 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. What am I missing here? Is this an old configuration that was removed or does the Performance software update actually bring the 0-60 down to 3.2 on the Long Range edition?

Long Range.jpg

Note- all #s are real world measured the same way with 1 foot rollout; not the BS measured with 2 different systems #s Tesla misleads you with

Model 3 LR AWD is 3.9 0-60. ~3.5 with the $2000 boost.

Model 3 P (which is AWD of course, also LR) is ~3.0. By default this comes with the same 18" wheels/tires as the LR AWD does. In fact up until mid-2019 it was physically an identical car to the LR AWD, just different software to unlock more performance and features. Since then it remains the same car- the but LR AWD got a different rear motor around then that is presumed to be less capable than the one it used to come with (and still comes in the P). This is the car often called the P3D- (or some other longer-to-type names)

There's an optional upgrade package you can add to the base P car that gives you larger and heavier and more-prone-to-damage 20" wheels but wrapped in better tires than the default 18s... it also upgrades the brakes if you're a track person, sits 0.39" lower, and adds some cosmetic bling (spoiler, pedals, etc)- this is often called the P3D+ (since it's "plus" the addition of that upgrade package).

Through end of 2019 both versions of the P came with full track mode and the same performance.... starting in 2020 they don't actually list Track mode as a feature unless you add the + but I don't know that I've seen any P3D- take delivery this year yet to confirm if this is a website mistake or if they truly don't include it anymore (previous owners still have it and still get upgrades for it)

Note- all #s are real world measured the same way with 1 foot rollout; not the BS measured with 2 different systems #s Tesla misleads you with

Model 3 LR AWD is 3.9 0-60. ~3.5 with the $2000 boost.

Model 3 P (which is AWD of course, also LR) is ~3.0. By default this comes with the same 18" wheels/tires as the LR AWD does. In fact up until mid-2019 it was physically an identical car to the LR AWD, just different software to unlock more performance and features. Since then it remains the same car- the but LR AWD got a different rear motor around then that is presumed to be less capable than the one it used to come with (and still comes in the P). This is the car often called the P3D- (or some other longer-to-type names)

There's an optional upgrade package you can add to the base P car that gives you larger and heavier and more-prone-to-damage 20" wheels but wrapped in better tires than the default 18s... it also upgrades the brakes if you're a track person, sits 0.39" lower, and adds some cosmetic bling (spoiler, pedals, etc)- this is often called the P3D+ (since it's "plus" the addition of that upgrade package).

Through end of 2019 both versions of the P came with full track mode and the same performance.... starting in 2020 they don't actually list Track mode as a feature unless you add the + but I don't know that I've seen any P3D- take delivery this year yet to confirm if this is a website mistake or if they truly don't include it anymore (previous owners still have it and still get upgrades for it)

Great info Nightshade! I will keep this in mind as I look for a Model 3.

Can someone explain what a Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance edition is? A Long Range Model 3 does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. If I get the software Performance software update for $2K it brings the 0-60 down to 3.9 (or so I read). Tesla lists several pre-owned Model 3s Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance editions with a 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. That is the same 0-60 as the Performance only edition. I don't see a way to configure a new Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance edition with a 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. What am I missing here? Is this an old configuration that was removed or does the Performance software update actually bring the 0-60 down to 3.2 on the Long Range edition?

View attachment 522038

Seems like a lot of confusing in this thread so far.

What you see if what they call the "stealth" or "sleeper" or "P3D-".

All it is is a AWD Long-Range model with the performance acceleration/speed of the Performance model. For all intents and purposes it looks indentical to a regular AWD car, except for a red line under the Dual Motor in the back. These cars where hard to find and highly prized, you were never able to order them. The Performance option was a $2,000 upgrade.

With that being said, even if this car has FSD, it is selling too high. I bought our "Stealth" for 51,500 with the red paint (2k upcharge) and base aeros.

All it is is a AWD Long-Range model with the performance acceleration/speed of the Performance model. For all intents and purposes it looks indentical to a regular AWD car, except for a red line under the Dual Motor in the back

This WAS true for 2018 and early 2019- it hasn't been true since then.

Since then the LR AWD (non P) has different, lesser, rear motor in it than the other Model 3s.

. These cars where hard to find and highly prized, you were never able to order them. The Performance option was a $2,000 upgrade.

That's not correct at all

In 2018 you could absolutely order one right from the website. In fact it was the default option to order a P for the first few months of P deliveries.

It was an $11,000 upgrade from LR AWD to P3D- (well, between $9000 and $11,000 from week to week because Tesla kept tweaking pricing). Then another $5000 to add the Performance Upgrade Package (making it a P3D+

Then near the end of October 2018 that changed.

The PUP became standard (no upcharge- and no option to NOT get it)- this effectively killed the P3D- at the time, making the P3D+ the only P car available at all. (There were a lot of pissed off people about this and Tesla ended up offering a $5000 refund to ALL P buyers, + and -, in exchange for them giving up the free unlimited supercharging they had)

That pricing (P3D+ only one available) remained the case until mid 2019...when suddenly mystery P3D- cars began appearing in inventory- priced only $2000 more than LR AWD.

You could not order THOSE- only buy them from inventory- and only in whatever color/wheel/etc config they had in stock.

Then early THIS year they suddenly added the P3D- back to the orderable website- in fact just like 2018 it's now the "default" base Performance model.

You once again have the OPTION of added the PUP if you want it- but unlike 2018 there's no longer a $5000 (or any) price difference between adding it or not.

And the LR AWD to P price difference today is $8000.

With that being said, even if this car has FSD, it is selling too high. I bought our "Stealth" for 51,500 with the red paint (2k upcharge) and base aeros.

But again- that's no longer possible.

It's now $56,990 for a base P3D- with 18s and the free color.