Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range or Performance for towing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure its an obvious answer, but I'm looking to purchase a Raven that will be doing a lot of towing of a 4500lb trailer, I want to maximize distance. I used betterrouteplanner and added 5000lbs in extra weight to see what it would show me. I know its not a perfect estimate.

Anyway, I'm getting 337 wh/mi for the long range and 352 wh/mi for the performance. But, the thing is I ran something similar a few months ago and I'm pretty sure the results were exactly the opposite. I realize that ABRP is "beta" for those models.

But, can anyone confirm for me the obvious, that I will get better range with the long range model, while towing?

I'd also be sure to get the 7 or 6 Seater with the larger AC system.

Towing 4500 lbs, based on my research, you should expect about 50% range. So you are talking at least 500-600 wh/mi
You need to be careful with that research. What you are not passing on is the reduction in speed to achieve 50% range loss. Towing, you will likely get 50% of the range at 55-60 mph that you normally get at 70-75 mph when not towing.

Reactions: mswlogo
The 6 and 7 seaters get additional AC components to better cool the back half of the vehicle. Though if the vehicle will often be used for heavy towing without much rear area use to counter-balance, a case could be made against the extra weight of the higher seat count configs.

100D vs. P100D and towing

Regarding Performance or not for towing, I asked the exact same question a couple years ago, and there was no clear answer. However I can tell you now from experience the 100d non-P (which I purchased) has plenty of power for all towing situations and has not experienced cooling issues in even the most stressful of situations. Regen is awesome on down grades too.

Range hit will depend largely on the aerodynamic profile of your trailer. My enclosed car trailer is probably less efficient than the Airstreams and other small TTs. I generally plan to go 100 miles between stops but have pushed it to 120. My consumption when towing is 2-2.5x the unladen drain.

I love the X but if the 3-motor Cybertruck can do even 80% of what they claim, at 130% of the price they say, I’ll get one of those and try to get the wife to give up the ICE for the X.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
I have just finished a 1,300 mile trip towing a 15' Boston Whaler open boat. 1,700 pounds for boat, motor, & trailer. I concur with J-rho that the driver is the aerodynamic effects of the trailer and load - not so much the weight. Any entry imported to the trailer weight to get it rolling will be recovered during regenerative braking (minus tire friction/flexing). The aerodynamic loss forces are there always, with increasing effects as speed increases. I was seeing about 2X range effects - some times I had to slow to 55 MPH to make the longer 132 mile segments between SC.
The MX 100D has plenty of torque to pull the load - so that is not an issue. I would also recommend the 20" tire - there are times as the trailer rocks and rolls that it imparts considerable vertical movement to the rear tires. the 20" tires will give more flex and leeway (I think).