Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the Tesla rated wH/mi for 2024 Model Y Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that the EPA updated their Wh/mi rating for the Model Y in 2024--and as a result, Tesla reduced the range they list on their website from 330 to 310.

I'm trying to figure out what that Wh/mi is, and what Tesla's Wh/mi rating is (if they have a different number--I'm unclear on that as well).

When I look at the energy consumption graph in my vehicle, the "rated" line looks to me like it's at about 270 Wh/mi. This is curious to me because the 2023 EPA rating appears to be 280 Wh/mi:
1713360859031.png

28 kWh/100 mi = 280 Wh/mi

2024 numbers aren't available for a Tesla Model Y on the FuelEconomy.gov site as of today.

I would expect the rated Wh/mi to go up if we saw a decrease in EPA range, but I'm pretty confident that the line I'm seeing in the vehicle is less than 280 Wh/mi (and not more).

I've got a TeslaFi subscription, and they are running their calculations based on roughly 248 Wh/mi. For example:
1713361561395.png

If 252 Wh/mi is 98.3% efficiency, then 100% efficiency would be 248 Wh/mi (rounding to three significant figures).

My real world efficiency is around 270 Wh/mi, which I know is what really matters--still, I am curious what the EPA rating is and (if different) what Tesla's rating is. Is this published anywhere?

Last edited:
As far as I know Tesla doesn't publish the Wh/mi number but you can do some quick math based on their range estimate to get close to Teslafi:

Assume usable capacity at 100% SOC is 78 kwh or 7800 Wh and divide by 310 = 252 Wh/mi. I'm not certain on the usable capacity though...just an educated guess based on past experience.
I understand that the EPA updated their Wh/mi rating for the Model Y in 2024--and as a result, Tesla reduced the range they list on their website from 330 to 310.

I'm trying to figure out what that Wh/mi is, and what Tesla's Wh/mi rating is (if they have a different number--I'm unclear on that as well).

When I look at the energy consumption graph in my vehicle, the "rated" line looks to me like it's at about 270 Wh/mi. This is curious to me because the 2023 EPA rating appears to be 280 Wh/mi:
View attachment 1039294

2024 numbers aren't available for a Tesla Model Y on the FuelEconomy.gov site as of today.

I would expect the rated Wh/mi to go up if we saw a decrease in EPA range, but I'm pretty confident that the line I'm seeing in the vehicle is less than 280 Wh/mi (and not more).

I've got a TeslaFi subscription, and they are running their calculations based on roughly 248 Wh/mi. For example:
View attachment 1039299

If 252 Wh/mi is 98.3% efficiency, then 100% efficiency would be 248 Wh/mi (rounding to three significant figures).

My real world efficiency is around 270 Wh/mi, which I know is what really matters--still, I am curious what the EPA rating is and (if different) what Tesla's rating is). Is this published anywhere?

First off, this is a Model 3 forum ;)

The "28 kWh/100 mi" blended fuel economy figure is a weighted 55/45% mix of MPGe for city/highway driving, and is NOT the same thing as the range test. The range test involves running the car down until it stops moving with 5 different test cycles (Tesla's choice). Then the combined weighted ranges are derated by ~25-30% for your EPA range figure.

So your "100% efficiency" is actually only ~80% of the efficiency the EPA achieved in their testing. However their average speed is ~45 MPH in the lab with limited A/C and extremely gentle driving.

For 2023, the EPA is saying the Model Y LR gets 330 miles of range with energy consumption at a rate of 28kWh/100 miles.

That means you'd consume 92.4 kWh after driving 330 miles.

But you're saying that the usable capacity of the battery pack is probably only about 78 kWh?

I think I have more questions about all these numbers than when I started!

For 2023, the EPA is saying the Model Y LR gets 330 miles of range with energy consumption at a rate of 28kWh/100 miles.

That means you'd consume 92.4 kWh after driving 330 miles.

But you're saying that the usable capacity of the battery pack is probably only about 78 kWh?

I think I have more questions about all these numbers than when I started!
My understanding was the consumption number on the website includes changing losses....not only energy used to travel somewhere....which obviously is lower.

Reactions: yesimon

View attachment 1039294

View attachment 1039299

My real world efficiency is around 270 Wh/mi, which I know is what really matters--still, I am curious what the EPA rating is and (if different) what Tesla's rating is. Is this published anywhere?
EPA number includes AC charging losses. These are about 11%.

If you use the energy screen method you can come up with 79.5kWh (degradation threshold) for 304 rated miles so the constant is about 262Wh/mi. This will align basically exactly with your rated line, except you have to add 5Wh/mi (I don’t make the rules). So the line is probably 267Wh/mi. However that 262Wh/mi is the charging constant so the driving constant is 95.5% of this which is 250Wh/mi. Probably what TeslaFi is using but who knows.

262Wh/mi/0.89 is 29.4kWh/100mi so that is what I expect roughly for the AC rating. Likely a little lower due to the 304/310 discrepancy. So 29kWh/100mi.

Probably Tesla will adjust to 310 miles at 100% once the EPA docs are finalized.