Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-term Storage of LFP M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a MY and a Bolt. Turning the Bolt in to GM (hopefully) and am interested in replacing the car with a M3 SR+ with LFP battery. We have driven our MY back and forth from Cape Cod to southern AZ a couple of times (last trip was a week ago. 3,345 miles due to visiting friends in NC). Anyway, the M3 would sit in our garage in AZ for around five months at a time.

My question; anyone know what SOC a LFP battery is happiest at when stored? I understand they can tolerate 100% charging on a regular basis, but doubt that would be the best percent to leave a traction battery at when not driving the machine.

Thanks!

Rich

Good article: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1149/2.0411609jes/pdf

TLDR: Store at room temperature and at 70% or below.

1634934920942.png

Reactions: theothertom
Thanks Jeremy. My AZ garage will hit 110 on a few summer days, but I can dream!! Will leave the vehicle plugged in, so hopefully it will run the coolant to the battery.

Rich
Having a garage is definitely helpful and since you are able to have it plugged in, I would leave it at 50% (lowest Tesla will allow plugged in). Cabin overheat protection will help.