Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Phantom Braking Observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quickie on phantom braking. Never had much issue with this problem in either our 2020 MY LR AWD or our newer (2022) M3 SR LFP. Took a 2,800 mile road trip starting May 2nd. The first day of the trip, in the MY (AZ to Cape Cod) we had over 1/2 a dozen phantom braking "incidents." A few were quite noticeable, some less so. Sunny day, good roads.

Next five days of the six day ride (we're old and travel slow...) nothing to speak of in regard phantom braking.

Not a clue what was going on.

Rich

I have a 2022 Model X, FSD 11.3.6 installed. I have a 6 mile drive into town on 2-lane roads with low traffic. On every trip, I can depend on at least one hard braking event caused by safe, normal traffic in on-coming traffic lane. The car brakes HARD. I then touch the brakes myself to get out of FSD, and then use Tesla's new system to report these events when it asks "why did you get out of FSD?". So I report these events at the rate of once or twice on the way into town, and once or twice on the way home.

I have not seen many other comments about phantom braking from on-coming traffic -- though it isn't actually "phantom" braking -- that is, it is not misinterpreting a shadow in the oncoming lane as a car or truck -- the vehicle in the oncoming lane is definitely there -- but the FSD is misinterpreting the cars/trucks as a threat when they are just doing their ordinary, normal thing.

Very frustrating, dangerous because of possibility of being rear-ended, and a source of considerable angst for my wife.

Bill

Long road trip addition to your thread.

2021 MYLR, just bought lightly used with 11,000 miles 3 weeks ago. Went on a 2000-mile round trip getaway with the two kids, wife and gear last week. Denver area to western KY. Paid for 1 month of the FSD subscription to see how it does on such a long drive on I-70 through eastern CO, KS, MO, IL and KY. Some observations on phantom braking we experienced (often).

Current SW rev: 2023.12.5.4

1. Afternoon departure temp on May 26: 71 F, rain storm was chasing us on our way out, but it was sunny where we were heading.
2. Headed east on E-470 tollway, speed set on autosteer/navigate to 75 mph (speed limit is 75 mph).
3. Within 20 miles, first phantom event - hesitation and drop from 75 mph to 71 mph, then slowly back to 75. No cars near us, one car about 3/4 mile ahead. None behind us or beside us. We were traveling in the center lane of three lanes.
4. No more until I-70 east somewhere before Limon SC. No cars near us, cool temps in the 70s, no mirages, mostly cloudy. no overpasses, no shadows, good lighting, no wind. Phantom braking hammers everyone from 75 mph to 51, then gets to 60, drops again to 55, then slowly gets back up to 75. Bug report recorded on car. SOC was around 60% at this point.
5. Charged up to 72% at Limon, then off to Colby, KS.
6. Third phantom braking event near Kanorado (Kansas/CO state line) - not as severe, but noticeable. Drop to ~68 mph, then back to 75. Car was coming up on our left rear quickly. Some cars in the distance, and one about 1 mile back. Again, nothing was around. Disabled auto steer, switched to TACC cruise control only.
7. Made it to Colby with no events, then within 20 minutes of leaving Colby SC, another event, but on cruise control/TACC, not autosteer. Yet another bug report recorded on the mic.
8. Halfway between Hays (worst SC on I-70, by the way) and our stop for the night hotel in Salina, getting dark, still only on cruise control, another hard event. No cars near us yet again. Temp around 78 F.
9. Salina for the night.
10. Salina to KY - absolutely no phantom events on autosteer/navigate or cruise. Side note: Autosteer lane change on the FSD subscription absolutely sucks. Changes lanes to "faster lane" for no reason (I had it set to not wait for me to confirm and just change lanes, Mad Max setting). No cars in front of us or behind us. I let it do it's thing, and within 3 minutes it wants to exit the passing lane and does so, albeit not very smoothly - a slight drop / hesitation in speed and then it moves over, no cars anywhere behind us. Then within 1 minute, it wants to move BACK into the passing lane for no reason. This continued and many times I had to deny the lane change because it made no sense and in a couple of cases, was going to be pulling into an oncoming speeding car! So I turned all of this off and went to the regular lane change on my prompt, not the auto or suggested.

RETURN TRIP:

KY to Salina: NO phantom braking events. None. Temps in the low 90s, sunny, plenty of mirages, cars, and opportunities for some "fun" phantom braking through crazy traffic in St. Louis and KC (what is with drivers there, btw??). But nothing happened on autosteer/nav.

Salina to Denver:
1. Left early morning on a Monday, low traffic, sun behind us, temps around 64. Within 30 minutes our first phantom event. 80 mph to 71. I had decided this time to just let them happen and work through the entire "event" unless there were cars nearby, upon which time my plan was to disengage and take control.
2. Several more phantom events occurred for the next 4 hours, usually in very desolate parts of I-70 with very little traffic. There were mirages and some traffic here and there, and I switched in and out of cruise and the autosteer. Neither mattered - about 6-8 more events happened equally and some were within a few minutes of each other - varied from minor to WTF just happened (!!) braking.
3. Decided to tweak some things. Turned off Automatic Emergency Braking setting. No change - another event occurred about 45 minutes later.
4. Turned AEB back on, then turned off the FSD navigate on autosteer subscription setting, setting me to basic autopilot.
5. Drove from Limon to almost I-25 via I-70 and E-470 highways on both CC and autopilot - approximately 65 miles - with ZERO events.

Observations (totally anecdotal):
1. All events happened between Denver/Salina KS and Salina to Denver. NONE occurred east of Salina on either leg of the trip (and those were 11 hour legs each way). Temps were anywhere from 64 to as high as 92. The events never happened on the warmer, sunnier climate days, but rather the cooler, cloudier days with little to no traffic.
2. Kids' tablet cellular signal loss on gaming/streaming seemed to coincide with the events, and both of our phones had very low LTE signals (Verizon). When an event happened late on the last part of the eastern KS trip, the kids would say they were kicked off their games.
3. We have premium connectivity annual subscription.
4. Three events we were actually able to TRIGGER. My wife decided to swipe down on the navigation screen to expand the destination list and SC charge time requirements, and just as she swiped up to collapse, an event occurred. We were on autosteer/navigation FSD setting at the time. Then I tried the same thing she did, and literally was able to recreate a phantom braking event when I swiped up to collapse. The third one happened when I set the car to just cruise control and then cautiously repeated the navigation expand/collapse process (warning the kids and my wife in the process!). Third event occurred - 75 mph to 61, then back to 75 slowly (another bug report recorded).

Summary of observations, theories of causes:
1. Doesn't matter if car is on navigate w/autosteer FSD or cruise control. Events occurred.
2. Turn off navigate w/autosteer subscription - we had no events for 65 miles. Probably coincidental since we were coming into the Denver metro area by this time.
3. Is there a link between bad cell signal in remote areas and phantom braking?? We had no events until we got into the western plains of KS and eastern blah of Colorado.
4. What was the deal with our being able to trigger three straight events by messing with the navigation screen? Wasn't able to recreate again later that same day.
5. We logged at least 20+ bug reports and plan on setting up service call with dates of the events, telling them to look at all data just before each bug report. Hopefully this will help their engineering team solve this issue.

FYI, this is our 2nd Tesla vehicle. We also own a '15 MS 70D with the upgraded MCU2, autopilot and free unlimited supercharging. Still can get 230 on a full charge out of the rated 240 range when new (!!). Took the car to / from Topeka 3 weeks prior (mid-April) to buying the MY, and absolutely loved the autopilot functionality. Rarely had to remind the car I was alert with my hand on the steering, zero events, running on SW version 2023.12.9 and a cool 83,000 miles. Was by far the most awesome experience aside from the longer SC stops (I can accept longer stops when it's free!) and some lane changing quirks where the car would change lanes and then have to come back to center after going a bit too far left/right in the lane. It was soooo relaxing to look around and let the car do its thing. Completely different experience with the new MYLR.

One random side note - after having free SC on the MS 70D Topeka trip (we never do SC long trips in that car), having to pay for SC sucks, and is way more $$ than I thought. Last year we took our '21 Suburban to KY and spent $406 in gas round trip at $3.25 / gallon and a crappy 17 - 19 mpg. Total spend on MYLR supercharging on the same route? $301. Not much of a savings for adding more time on the trip...but hey, we're doing our part for the earth, right? :)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping it helps others with their phantom braking issues! And maybe a lurking Tesla engineer will take note!

Long road trip addition to your thread.
What you were seeing seems to be pretty common. Sometimes more, sometimes less events.

What is different is the loss of signal to the kid's devices. That's a really hard correlation to make, but I'll have to watch that. AFAIK, Tesla uses AT&T in the US.

Yes, the price of Superchargers went up recently. It can be similar to some high efficiency vehicles, but still less than others. But it only slightly impacts the overall costs for those that charge at home.

Hope you had a great time camping, WKY is a beautiful place and some might nice lakes around.

What you were seeing seems to be pretty common. Sometimes more, sometimes less events.

What is different is the loss of signal to the kid's devices. That's a really hard correlation to make, but I'll have to watch that. AFAIK, Tesla uses AT&T in the US.

Yes, the price of Superchargers went up recently. It can be similar to some high efficiency vehicles, but still less than others. But it only slightly impacts the overall costs for those that charge at home.

Hope you had a great time camping, WKY is a beautiful place and some might nice lakes around.
Yep, they look a lot like what I've read on other threads. Was just hoping to add to the mounting data mountain on phantom braking.

Not sure either about the data loss - was just an anecdotal thing that my wife and I discussed after each event. We would look everywhere wondering what caused it. Bugs (nope, we had more bugs on the car on the Salina to KY and KY to Salina portion than eastern CO/western KS), mirage (nope, temps were nice and some events happened on cloudy days), etc. Then I would find myself looking at my phone signal and the girls twice mentioning they were booted from their games right after a hard event. Got to thinking maybe there is a navigate w/autosteer data requirement. I work in aerospace engineering and we have a navigational issue that is related to wifi signal strength, so it popped into my head as a "hmmmmm" moment.

We didn't do camping on this trip - I'm from KY and we were on our annual summer visit to my parents' house for a lot of lazy R&R! Camping is on the books for next year, however! Although we will be in our gas hog diesel truck pulling the travel trailer instead of either Tesla!

I wouldn't spend much of any time looking for a cause. It's been here for years and it exists in MANY other cars than Teslas. It's just a part of life that will hopefully be eventually reduced or eliminated. I'm sure that it is a pretty low item on the "SCRUM Issues" chart for Tesla right now.

At least in a Tesla, there's a chance that it may be fixed. All the other cars will probably have to live with it forever.

In the Tesla, the navigation isn't based upon Internet connectivity. (I don't think that it is totally based upon GPS as well)) You can actually reboot the infotainment computer with the Internet connectivity and FSD keeps working. It even supports routing without the Internet, although you have to type in your destination. (voice uses Google)

Unlike you aerospace guys, terrestrial folks have to assume that they are going to have LOS, it's a fact of life and physics. (i.e. tunnels) ;)

Reactions: acoburn73
I'm sure that it is a pretty low item on the "SCRUM Issues" chart for Tesla right now.
I really hope you're wrong about that. Phantom braking is the single most dangerous and stressful aspect of operating our 2023 Tesla Model Y. We're averaging one major/hard event per ~150 miles over the last 3000. The last one I was the driver for came within inches of getting us rear ended by a gravel truck.

I'm sorry, but this is not excusable, normal, "industry standard", or any of the above. It's a safety defect that absolutely needs to priority 1 at Tesla.

I have a 2022 Model X, FSD 11.3.6 installed. I have a 6 mile drive into town on 2-lane roads with low traffic. On every trip, I can depend on at least one hard braking event caused by safe, normal traffic in on-coming traffic lane. The car brakes HARD. I then touch the brakes myself to get out of FSD, and then use Tesla's new system to report these events when it asks "why did you get out of FSD?". So I report these events at the rate of once or twice on the way into town, and once or twice on the way home.

I have not seen many other comments about phantom braking from on-coming traffic -- though it isn't actually "phantom" braking -- that is, it is not misinterpreting a shadow in the oncoming lane as a car or truck -- the vehicle in the oncoming lane is definitely there -- but the FSD is misinterpreting the cars/trucks as a threat when they are just doing their ordinary, normal thing.

Very frustrating, dangerous because of possibility of being rear-ended, and a source of considerable angst for my wife.

Bill
After the most recent update 2023.7.15, the number of phantom events I describe above has decreased by like 95%. I happens very rarely now -- and not with a hard braking even then, but an "indecisive" sort of breaking. So a HUGE improvement. Thank you Tesla!

I’ve noticed that the “phantom braking” happens when the car sees some sort of crest in the road which it cannot see a continuation of after the crest so it basically chickens out and hits the anchors. Seems obvious to me that it would do that as it assumes that’s a dangerous situation.

I really hope you're wrong about that. Phantom braking is the single most dangerous and stressful aspect of operating our 2023 Tesla Model Y. We're averaging one major/hard event per ~150 miles over the last 3000. The last one I was the driver for came within inches of getting us rear ended by a gravel truck.

I'm sorry, but this is not excusable, normal, "industry standard", or any of the above. It's a safety defect that absolutely needs to priority 1 at Tesla.
Since it's been around for at least 5 years....

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
My Vegas to/from Barstow experience.

I experienced phantom braking driving during the day from Vegas to Barstow.
I did not experience any phantom braking driving during the night from Barstow to Vegas.
i can second that... Phantom braking disappears altogether around sunset ... around the same time the mirages over hot asphalt disappear.
also zero phantom breaking here in Texas in the winter when it's cold.

that being said... having TACC / AP hit the brakes and take you from 83 mph down to ~50 mph *within seconds* on a major highway between Amarillo - Ft. Worth where folks are regularly doing 85 mph isn't minor nor acceptable imho. Folks honked at us and it is a safety issues applying the brakes for no reason when everyone is just cruising along with you...

I’ve noticed that the “phantom braking” happens when the car sees some sort of crest in the road which it cannot see a continuation of after the crest so it basically chickens out and hits the anchors. Seems obvious to me that it would do that as it assumes that’s a dangerous situation.
This is similar to an observation my wife and I made on I70 westbound in the middle of nowhere Kansas. Seemed when there was an upcoming dip in the highway and an obstacle in the distance (maybe 1/4 of a mile ahead) at the end/rise of the dip, the camera seemed to be fooled as to whether it's a large object in the distance or a smaller object up close. The part the dip seemed to play is that the cameras can't see that portion of the road that's in the dip. It was exacerbated by the distant object being dark against the sky and even more so it seemed as we were driving into the sun.

This is similar to an observation my wife and I made on I70 westbound in the middle of nowhere Kansas. Seemed when there was an upcoming dip in the highway and an obstacle in the distance (maybe 1/4 of a mile ahead) at the end/rise of the dip, the camera seemed to be fooled as to whether it's a large object in the distance or a smaller object up close. The part the dip seemed to play is that the cameras can't see that portion of the road that's in the dip. It was exacerbated by the distant object being dark against the sky and even more so it seemed as we were driving into the sun.
That’s exactly what the problem is. It can’t see so it says danger ahead and hits the brake’s. I tried it last weekend on an undulating coast road and it was slamming the brakes on at every crest. I don’t have FSD it’s just on autopilot for me but it’s enough for me to say no thanks, I’ll drive myself.

That’s exactly what the problem is. It can’t see so it says danger ahead and hits the brake’s. I tried it last weekend on an undulating coast road and it was slamming the brakes on at every crest. I don’t have FSD it’s just on autopilot for me but it’s enough for me to say no thanks, I’ll drive myself.
Drove 500ish mile from Phoenix Az to Tonopah, NV through mostly desert hot conditions today. Temperatures 100-111°F. No phantom hard braking until after noon time. Total of 8 phantom braking episodes from noon till 4pm. I have a 2023 Model Y long range. Drove speed limit at all times with the basic cruise on.