Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Phantom Braking Observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s exactly what the problem is. It can’t see so it says danger ahead and hits the brake’s. I tried it last weekend on an undulating coast road and it was slamming the brakes on at every crest. I don’t have FSD it’s just on autopilot for me but it’s enough for me to say no thanks, I’ll drive myself.
Yes the crest of hills seems to be a trigger point often but not always.

On my 2023 Model S during a phantom breaking event, I have noticed in the road visualization, a small white sparkle at various locations in the lane at the very top of the display where the lines for road sides the fade away.

Reactions: Oparide
I really hope you're wrong about that. Phantom braking is the single most dangerous and stressful aspect of operating our 2023 Tesla Model Y. We're averaging one major/hard event per ~150 miles over the last 3000. The last one I was the driver for came within inches of getting us rear ended by a gravel truck.

I'm sorry, but this is not excusable, normal, "industry standard", or any of the above. It's a safety defect that absolutely needs to priority 1 at Tesla.
I agree. Too much acceptance of this problem. I had about 12 incidents Oval 3500 mile trip. Very scary.

Reactions: fhteagle
Me too. Brand new Model S. Scares the crap out of me.
Maybe if enough people file a claim with the NHTSA, Tesla will do something about it.

It may get worse. Autopilot is being changed from rules based to whatever the AI feels like that day. LOL

I never had the issue with my 2018 Model S. Apparently Model 3 and Model Y owners have been complaining about it since 2021 and Tesla hasn't been able to fix it.
With my 2023 Model S, I repeatedly experienced the issue with Auto Pilot. Hopefully Cruise Control is a non-issue.
Nonetheless, this is not a new problem and I am disappointed that Tesla hasn't fixed it.

I have a 2022 Model X, FSD 11.3.6 installed. I have a 6 mile drive into town on 2-lane roads with low traffic. On every trip, I can depend on at least one hard braking event caused by safe, normal traffic in on-coming traffic lane. The car brakes HARD. I then touch the brakes myself to get out of FSD, and then use Tesla's new system to report these events when it asks "why did you get out of FSD?". So I report these events at the rate of once or twice on the way into town, and once or twice on the way home.

I have not seen many other comments about phantom braking from on-coming traffic -- though it isn't actually "phantom" braking -- that is, it is not misinterpreting a shadow in the oncoming lane as a car or truck -- the vehicle in the oncoming lane is definitely there -- but the FSD is misinterpreting the cars/trucks as a threat when they are just doing their ordinary, normal thing.

Very frustrating, dangerous because of possibility of being rear-ended, and a source of considerable angst for my wife.

Bill
I have the same issue with my 2024 M3 LR, but it only happens with approaching semis or other large vehicles, and then only every 20th or 25th vehicle, not a consistent pattern. Really disappointing.

I have the same issue with my 2024 M3 LR, but it only happens with approaching semis or other large vehicles, and then only every 20th or 25th vehicle, not a consistent pattern. Really disappointing.
2022 MY LR When I was running 11.3.6, that is what mine did. Except mine was more like every 4th or 5th vehicle. If there was any consistency it was if I met a semi, followed closely by a car, it would likely be okay with the semi, but then the car would cause it to brake as hard as possible and slide to a stop. Once it even then shifted to 'P'. (I'm assuming that it stopped so hard it lifted me up off the seat and the butt detector triggered the driver-left-the-vehicle response??

I think I had a couple of disengagements on v12.3 but even those weren't bad and I was only on it for a week.
On the good side now I'm on v12.3.4 and so far so good. I did a 70 mile round trip, mixed highway and city with no serious issues. No more screaming goat noises from the passengers.