Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone confirm what error they were getting? I still have the V2 battery and occasionally see this in my Service/Notifications: VCFront_a180 (Electrical system power reduced - Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly).

It's always at a time that I wasn't in the car. This one was 9:43pm. Wasn't even plugged in and charging either.

I have yet to see an alert pop up while being in the car or driving it. So maybe this is like one of those silent errors that you have to go looking for.
This was my exact experience with the V2 battery. Same error at times when I was not driving. I would never have caught in unless I went into the Notifications screen on the car.

I received the V3 battery yesterday and installed it. I left the car charging overnight and this morning I had the same VCFRONT_a180 error in the notifications.
I have a June 2020 M3 LR with the 2022.12.3.1 software.

I believe I have V3 (released in early March?) with the add on module. Since doing the reset and installing (sent earlier 2019 Ohmmu LFP version back to them), no error codes of any kind. All quiet . . . which is how we like it!

Reactions: Skione65
I believe I have V3 (released in early March?) with the add on module. Since doing the reset and installing (sent earlier 2019 Ohmmu LFP version back to them), no error codes of any kind. All quiet . . . which is how we like it!
I have a question. Did you let the car sit for a while after you removed the stock battery and disconnecting the HV battery before installing the Ohmmu and powering the car back up?

I have a question. Did you let the car sit for a while after you removed the stock battery and disconnecting the HV battery before installing the Ohmmu and powering the car back up?
Both Tesla and Ohmmu directions say 2 minutes is enough.

AZs6zMq.jpg

Well, I got the VCFRONT_ 180 as well with version 3 battery. I put a charger on the Ohmmu and it was at 95% with no active messages today. As I recall, the system will perform an over voltage test about a dozen times before you see an amber warning. All I had was a message in notifications. I suspect, the over voltage test occurred, the Ohmmu disconnected (as it should) then over night it reconnected and recharged to 95%. Hence no active warnings. I sent a note to Ohmmu and swapped in my AtlasBX for temporary. I am waiting to see what the next step is. First waring in a month, most drives are short and I took long one and then the message was generated. Running 10.11.2 (2022.4.5.21) FSDBeta.

Reactions: Perscitus
I don't recall specifically but I followed ohmmu's instructions to the letter
I had one more Vcfront_a180 error from overnight. I also relayed this information to Ohmmu through my existing support ticket. I think I will also go back to the OEM 12V battery later today while this gets sorted out. I just can't explain why some people don't encounter this error and some people don't. Must be different hardware in the different iterations of the Model 3.

Note that this is not a moderator note, nor is it representing TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone but myself, jjrandorin the regular poster.

===================================

When I read the above statement, it translates to me as "We no longer think we can make this battery work without Tesla's help. Please sign this petition to get tesla to help us, so we dont end up having to either anger a bunch of our customers by telling them that we cant fix it,or refusing to offer refunds because we cant fix it.

I also received that, but I’m only on the mailing list (thankfully?).

I’ve been pondering buying one of these batteries for a while, but I’m in the UK so that complicates the whole battery swap thing (shipping here is £90 plus whatever import duty & taxes would apply). I held off buying when I emailed Sean, twice, asking how I would be handled in the whole warranty/beta replacement situation, and received no reply at all.

Reading this latest email, it sounds like Ohmmu are having to throw in the towel, so to speak.

Knowing Tesla as we do there’s pretty much no chance of motivating them to do anything, much less something for third party add ons, for a vanishingly small number of owners no less.

I hate to say it but the chances of Tesla accommodating third party battery solutions - something so integral to the functioning of the car - is slim to none, because to do so would mean that they’re a) accepting of such mods and b) inserting themselves in the support pathway for them (whereas currently they can simply wash their hands of it in warranty terms). They have no incentive to do this, financial or otherwise, and in fact have sound business reasons not to.

Last edited:
I also received that, but I’m only on the mailing list (thankfully?).

I’ve been pondering buying one of these batteries for a while, but I’m in the UK so that complicates the whole battery swap thing (shipping here is £90 plus whatever import duty & taxes would apply). I held off buying when I emailed Sean, twice, asking how I would be handled in the whole warranty/beta replacement situation, and received no reply at all.

Reading this latest email, it sounds like Ohmmu are having to throw in the towel, so to speak.

Knowing Tesla as we do there’s pretty much no chance of motivating them to do anything, much less something for third party add ons, for a vanishingly small number of owners no less.

I hate to say it but the chances of Tesla accommodating third party battery solutions - something so integral to the functioning of the car - is slim to none, because to do so would mean that they’re a) accepting of such mods and b) inserting themselves in the support pathway for them (whereas currently they can simply wash their hands of it in warranty terms). They have no incentive to do this, financial or otherwise, and in fact have sound business reasons not to.
The problem here, Hankook purchased salome Ohmmu batteries before Lion was available in the Y's. They reverse engineered the current battery from the Ohmmu design. Tesla, introducing an over charge test for Lead batteries that wasn't there previously brought on the issue. Normally I would say well thats the way it goes. However, since Tesla has done away with Lead batteries, that means there will be a finite number of AtlasBX batteries made. At some point, an alternative solution will be needed. Some say use any lead battery. That will work, but the AtlasBX is 625CCA and the closest alternative I have found is 500CCA. You can't even purchase the AtlasBX unless from Tesla. With a lesser 500CCA battery and cold weather, the issue becomes how well would it perform. A solution of being able to disable the overcharge test in the later software versions would cure the Ohmmu issue. The Lion batteries have a built in BMC. It disconnects from the car is over voltage seen (as it should). After 5 minutes it reconnects.and continues charging. But the car sees that as a failure and throws messages. There is the issue. Also, I am not in any way affiliated with Ohmmu. I just believe in the product as a good alternative. BTW, the older X and S don't have this issue.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I'm probably being a bit stupid, but is cold cranking amps even a relevant measurement for Teslas? Surely it's only the total capacity of the battery that matters?
I would say it's not important for Teslas. Batteries with higher cranking amps usually have thinner lead plates. The thinner lead plates reduces their longevity. Deep cycle batteries usually have lower cold cranking amps and thicker plates for better longevity.

Are folks who have the V3 battery starting to notice issues getting through or is that still working ok? Im a bit surprised at the need for the petition if the V3 solution seems to be working.
At least 2 people on this page have said that they are experiencing issues and have the V3 battery.

I agree with @jjrandorin in that for Ohmmu to talk about petitioning Tesla for support would suggest that they've reached the limits of what they are able (or prepared) to workaround with Tesla changing 12v battery maintenance strategies on a whim. Perhaps they can't sustain swapping people's batteries out under warranty for V4, V5, etc versions to try and fix these problems.

The above said I would be surprised if Tesla didn't have a gateway configuration setting for the battery type. In fact, I'd be willing to bet money they do. The problem, however, is that the battery type configuration might well affect other systems that use this setting to regulate how they operate. The Tesla lithium battery works at ~15v, I believe. I doubt very much changing that setting - even if Tesla allowed it - would only affect the BMS maintenance.

At least 2 people on this page have said that they are experiencing issues and have the V3 battery.

I agree with @jjrandorin in that for Ohmmu to talk about petitioning Tesla for support would suggest that they've reached the limits of what they are able (or prepared) to workaround with Tesla changing 12v battery maintenance strategies on a whim. Perhaps they can't sustain swapping people's batteries out under warranty for V4, V5, etc versions to try and fix these problems.

The above said I would be surprised if Tesla didn't have a gateway configuration setting for the battery type. In fact, I'd be willing to bet money they do. The problem, however, is that the battery type configuration might well affect other systems that use this setting to regulate how they operate. The Tesla lithium battery works at ~15v, I believe. I doubt very much changing that setting - even if Tesla allowed it - would only affect the BMS maintenance.
All that is needed is a way to deselect the over voltage test to the battery that was added about 6 months ago by a Tesla engineer.

All that is needed is a way to deselect the over voltage test to the battery that was added about 6 months ago by a Tesla engineer.
I don't disagree, however if this test doesn't impact their own batteries (lead acid or lithium) or in fact helps preserve them then I see no reason they would provide an end user toggle for it just to satisfy a third party need.

Tesla will simply say - with some legitimacy - that the batteries they provide have been qualified and tested for use in their cars, and that's all they recommend. Anything else is an unknown quantity and not endorsed.

Perhaps Tesla could allow this one specific feature to be turned off, on request, by a service center, as a configuration change. This still burdens support staff with training and procedures for something that does not benefit them in any way whatsoever, so realistically I don't think it will ever happen.

I don't disagree, however if this test doesn't impact their own batteries (lead acid or lithium) or in fact helps preserve them then I see no reason they would provide an end user toggle for it just to satisfy a third party need.

Tesla will simply say - with some legitimacy - that the batteries they provide have been qualified and tested for use in their cars, and that's all they recommend. Anything else is an unknown quantity and not endorsed.

Perhaps Tesla could allow this one specific feature to be turned off, on request, by a service center, as a configuration change. This still burdens support staff with training and procedures for something that does not benefit them in any way whatsoever, so realistically I don't think it will ever happen.
You make good points. In my opinion, it's a long shot that Tesla will take action on this topic.