Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drove a model S a few weeks back. Priced a 75D out with options I wanted at 88,800 before delivery charge. I am a Model 3 reservation holder and I told them I wanted to wait until my number came up before deciding, but ultimately I think I want other options like cream interior (not white) and possibly short range and AWD. My gut tells me that the first AWD will only be LR and I’ve heard the first alternate interior will be white so I could be waiting a while. While I could afford 90K for the S, I’m still having a hard time coming to grips with the price.

I’m to the point that I’m almost considering settling for the Model 3 with the current configuration and see how I like it. However, even that ends up around 55K so isn’t far off a used Model S price wise. Would like to test drive a Model 3, but have no idea when that will be an option to do. My other option is look for a used Model S the way I want. My current car is 12 years old, but runs fine so I’m not in a hurry other than it would be nice to get the tax incentives if I went the new route on a M3 or MS. I’ve looked on Tesla’s site at inventory cars and of the current ones out there, none of them are really what I want and don’t even seem like much of a deal vs just configuring one the way I want. I’ve seen on some other thread some other higher mileage inventory cars that might have a bigger discount. Do those come up on the inventory site on the site or do you need to talk to Tesla to find those? Any advice on a used Model S on the open market?

Thanks.

Test drove a model S a few weeks back. Priced a 75D out with options I wanted at 88,800 before delivery charge. I am a Model 3 reservation holder and I told them I wanted to wait until my number came up before deciding, but ultimately I think I want other options like cream interior (not white) and possibly short range and AWD. My gut tells me that the first AWD will only be LR and I’ve heard the first alternate interior will be white so I could be waiting a while. While I could afford 90K for the S, I’m still having a hard time coming to grips with the price.

Just went thru exactly the same experience. Had the opportunity to see - but not drive - an M3 in a Tesla showroom. It was a "visiting" floor model. Sat in it, played with it, etc and wife and I decided immediately that it was too small for us. We need space to haul stuff on cross country trips. Saw the X and was blown away until reading about the complexity and issues re the FWD's. So we went back and looked at/drove an S. Perfect for us. Priced out 75D in mdnite slvr, tan interior, etc. Came out at 85 vs 105 for X we looked at.
So, we transferred the M3 deposit to the S and bought the S. Pick up in a few days. It was a new build, late March, already at the dealer. Has MCU2. We played with MCU1 in another S, and then MCU2 in the S we are buying. Go for the new build with MCU2 - really fast 64 bit - no lag at all, unlike the MCU1.
The price for new, specd at exactly what we wanted, with 7.5K rebate and free unlimited supercharging still available (with a referral) made it an easy choice. We average over $250/mo in gas, so this and the 7.5K makes it a no-brainer for us.
You said you can afford it....go for it.
BTW - add sales tax, registration, higher insurance, maybe a few hundred bucks for a home 14-50 outlet and the cash at time of purchase starts to flow out fast.
Good luck. Will post thoughts after driving it a bit.....

Yeah... Factoring in the $7500 tax credit which will likely be gone by the time your 3 gets here ... Snag an S ...

Current referral gets you the free supercharging as stated and a $500 credit toward Tesla service or accessories... just remember to order before the 30th ...

It's also a real pleasure to drive.

Last edited:
Yeah... Factoring in the $7500 tax credit which will likely be gone by the time your 3 gets here ... Snag an S ...

Current referral gets you the free supercharging as stated and a $500 credit toward Tesla service or accessories... just remember to order before the 30th ...

It's also a real pleasure to drive.

I did get my invite to configure M3 so I think I’d get it in plenty of time to get the credit. What’s the deal with the 30th? Does something happen with the referral program?

I liked @DanL50's points that he made. For the kind of money you will be spending, I'd say buy what you really want to have and have the fun and pleasure of driving it, assuming you plan to keep it for a number of years. Keep in mind the Model 3 does have something like half the storage space that an MS does if that matters. Once you drive a Tesla, it's hard not to want to be driving one all the time. We absolutely love our MS 75D and only thing that would be a bit nicer is if it had a larger battery but it really hasn't been an issue for us, just I think the thought of bigger is better sticks in your mind (but costs more too). We've really enjoyed driving our MS this past year. I'm currently waiting for a Model 3 AWD and seeing a number of them on the road already I'm now getting a bit antsy waiting for it. It will replace my 16 year old car, which is our second car, so we have the MS to fall back on if we need more space but I can feel your dilemma about which way to go.

BTW as far as CPO's you might want to read this article: Tesla stops ‘refurbishing’ its used cars ahead of big influx of leased vehicles coming back

Congrats on getting the invite btw. If something happens to your current car at least you know you have some quick options available to get into a Tesla either way. If you defer, you can order at any time from what configuration is available at the moment. If you do order an MS, use a referral for sure. No referral credit available on the Model 3.

I’m to the point that I’m almost considering settling for the Model 3 with the current configuration and see how I like it. However, even that ends up around 55K so isn’t far off a used Model S price wise. Would like to test drive a Model 3, but have no idea when that will be an option to do. My other option is look for a used Model S the way I want. My current car is 12 years old, but runs fine so I’m not in a hurry other than it would be nice to get the tax incentives if I went the new route on a M3 or MS. I’ve looked on Tesla’s site at inventory cars and of the current ones out there, none of them are really what I want and don’t even seem like much of a deal vs just configuring one the way I want. I’ve seen on some other thread some other higher mileage inventory cars that might have a bigger discount. Do those come up on the inventory site on the site or do you need to talk to Tesla to find those? Any advice on a used Model S on the open market?

Thanks.
Went thru the exact same thing ( minus getting the invite to config). Sat in and played with the M3, too small and did not have the same feel as the MS. Ended up ordering a MS and currently waiting delivery. Bigger car, more luxurious feel, two screens and good track record of reliability.