Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a 12V/15V Charging Cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the need of locating a 12V/15V Charging Cord. I purchased a 2018 M3 last Dec. and purchased our 2010 Roadster this month. I have a 14-50 outlet now which is taking care of the two currently, but I also have a deposit in for the MY. When that arrives it is going to make things a little more difficult trying to charge 3 cars off of one outlet, so I figured the 12V/15V cord would be ideal for the Roadster as it wouldn't be driven as much and that cord would meet the demand to keep the battery charged.
So if anyone has one or knows of someone that would like to part with theirs I would be love to purchase it.

Do you have a can Sr? If so you can use a UMC with a 12A connector. I simply used a broken UMC and wired it to a heavy duty extension cord and the roadster can charge with that. Oddly enough the model S won’t.
I guess I need to get familiar with the terms can Sr and can Jr before I could answer your question. Currently I have the standard UMC that came with the M3 (it came with a 12A connector) and standard UMC that came with the Roadster.

There’s probably only 3 real accessories for the roadster, the can sr, for standard tesla connector, can jr for j1772 connectors, and a Taylor mesh top. The can Sr will allow you to universally use your Tesla options. They are pretty must considered a must have. If you have the can Sr you have use your j1772 adaptor on that also giving you pretty much all your charging needs.

standard UMC that came with the Roadster.

I think the only charging cable that came with the Roadster was the 120V charging cable? If I recall correctly, the Roadster Mobile UMC was an accessory that cost $1500 and was horribly unreliable?

If you get a Can SR, as XLR8 suggested, you can use a Tesla UMC + CAN Sr to charge your Roadster off a 110/120 V outlet. However, the Roaster thermal management system won't cool the battery at 110/120. Not an issue right now, and I know Tucson is a bit cooler than Phoenix, but it will still be an issue for you this summer.

Can the wiring in your current 14-50 circuit support the current Tesla Wall Connector? I think you can run up to four of those wall connectors on the same circuit? However not sure what gauge wiring you need and what amperage circuit breaker you'll need - and if your panel can has the room. That's a lot of juice.

You are an ideal candidate for the load sharing feature of Tesla's new wall chargers (as @shrink pointed out). You can install 3 Tesla Wall Chargers on one 50A circuit. You can use the existing NEMA 14-50 circuit or install a new one if there's capacity in your panel. All three of your vehicles can be plugged in at once and they will automatically share the available 40A between them.

I third Henry's and shrink's suggestion. When I only had the Roadster, I charged it with the Roadster UMC off a disused NEMA 14-30 dryer outlet (30A outlet, from which the UMC made 23A available to the Roadster). But when I added a Model 3 to the garage, I needed another charger. I believe the Wall Chargers can share circuits down to 16A, but I splurged and got a 100A circuit in the garage to share between two new wall chargers, one of which uses a CAN-SR to connect to the Roadster.

The two chargers intelligently negotiate how to apportion the 80A that are available from the 100A circuit. They do a good job of it, too. If both cars need a charge, they'll offer 40A to each one, but as one of the cars begins to draw fewer amps because it's approaching full (it's usually the Roadster) the wall chargers will offer more amps to the Model 3, up to its 48A limit. But because I only drive one car at a time, one of the cars is usually in the garage already full when I arrive with the other car. In those cases, the non-full car gets the full 80A offer.

It works exactly as it should. And as has been mentioned, you can configure up to four wall chargers in this way. For my situation --one driver with two cars, a 100A circuit was absolutely overkill because I've never needed to charge the Roadster at its full 70A speed, and I'm almost never charging both cars at once. So give some thought to how you expect your three cars to be used, since that will dictate if the 40A from your existing NEMA 14-50 receptacle is sufficient or not. If all three cars are going to used for long commutes daily, you might want to consider a 100A circuit so that each car can charge at 80/3 amps. But if usage will be light, or limited to one or two vehicles per day, sharing 40A might be plenty.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
When I bought the car the dealer new I had a M3 and asked if I would be interested in the Silver Wall Connector w/ 24' cord, I said sure (free is always better than $500.00). I am not sure how to test the unit to be sure it functions since it is used.

When I put in my 14-50 I used the Tesla recommended Hubbel outlet and 6 gauge wire so I know it would be okay for the wall connector.

My idea with this whole issue is for when I get the MY is to have it share a source with the M3 and the Roadster would have a 12V/15V outlet to be plugged in all the time since it will not be driven as much as the other two and from what I have read it wants to be plugged in all the time.

I think what I am going to do, if it makes sense to all of you that are more educated than I when it comes to electrical and charging is to wait till I get the MY and use it's UMC with the 12V adapter and a can SR for the Roadster and to charge the M3 and MY using the UMC from M3. There will never be a case when I will need to charge both the M3 and MY at the same time, that's what retirement is all about, no schedules.

Still leaves me wondering what to do with the Wall Connector (if I can figure out it is functional), probably makes sense to mount it and do away with the 14-50 outlet as I don't have room in my panel to add another 50amp circuit.

My idea with this whole issue is for when I get the MY is to have it share a source with the M3 and the Roadster would have a 12V/15V outlet to be plugged in all the time since it will not be driven as much as the other two and from what I have read it wants to be plugged in all the time.

As I mentioned above, the issue with that is you won't get active cooling on the Roadster and that's a problem living in the desert in the summer.

Last edited:
I'd recommend that you use the load-sharing EVSEs, so you can plug all 3 cars in at the same time. Retirement is great, but why structure your time around swapping charging cords around? EVs also like to be plugged in whenever they're not being driven. If you can plug all of them all in, they'll be happy, and you can focus on doing other things.