Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to Purchase 2016 Model X P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 MS might be totaled.
Thinking about changing to X and a listing for 2016 P90 with 67k miles caught me eye.
What are concerns, specifically with older ECU? Private seller has not answered question from this morning about number of miles he is getting currently on full charge.
Does ECU issues impact range?

I don't think the 90 kWh batteries have faired that well.

See tech details here: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

My old 2016 X
6w1gNwf.jpg

See tech details here: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

My old 2016 X
6w1gNwf.jpg
Thank you. The graph charts early degradation but some other posts suggested this initial loss leveled off and subsequent degradation was minimal in years 2017-2023? Anyway, I was unaware early Xs had no regenerative braking so, all considered I’m likely to spend more for newer models. I think I was swayed by Elon’s statement that most all batteries would last 400k miles. I guess if you believe that, you’ll believe the car can drive itself?

Anyway, the 2019 P90D is listed by private seller for $39,995 with 67k miles. Sounded like a steal but after reading up a bit more, I’ll buy new or newer.

This was very helpful:

Thank you. The graph charts early degradation but some other posts suggested this initial loss leveled off and subsequent degradation was minimal in years 2017-2023? Anyway, I was unaware early Xs had no regenerative braking so, all considered I’m likely to spend more for newer models. I think I was swayed by Elon’s statement that most all batteries would last 400k miles. I guess if you believe that, you’ll believe the car can drive itself?

Anyway, the 2019 P90D is listed by private seller for $39,995 with 67k miles. Sounded like a steal but after reading up a bit more, I’ll buy new or newer.

This was very helpful:

Attachments

• EE4570B4-7B22-4EB0-9A47-9598E5CB2AE9.png
    EE4570B4-7B22-4EB0-9A47-9598E5CB2AE9.png
    557.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Informative
Reactions: israndy
That statement isn't true. One pedal driving is there but it will not come to a complete stop because of the Induction motors. I regen brakes fine.

View attachment 946307
I’m still mulling this over. I’m really looking for solid replacement to our 2013 Land Cruiser which I could easily unload for $35k, and figured a 2016 P90 X with 67k for $39k was a no brainer. I’m really not worried about 0-60 in 3 but definitely want it in 5. I wouldn’t need to drive 100 miles per day but also want to be able to drive it 100 miles when needed.
Tough choice.

That statement isn't true. One pedal driving is there but it will not come to a complete stop because of the Induction motors. I regen brakes fine.

View attachment 946307
Which… by definition, is not one pedal driving as it requires the other pedal within the car to be used.

Statement is quite true. Factual even.

My daily driver is a 2016 Model X P90D.
Note that when Mayer said in post #7 "I was unaware early Xs had no regenerative braking " , that statement is incorrect. Regen braking is strong at all speeds above 5mph. But you do need the brake pedal under 5mph because regen disappears.
My P90D X is awesome, very fast, and I use FSD Beta all the time, because mine is a December 2016 build. My advice for you is to get a 2017 or 2018 X 100D, which has much higher range and faster charging battery compared to P90D, and 0 to 60 time at 4.7 seconds. You don't need the P90D unless you want the 0 to 60 time under 4 seconds. Just wait until the 100D appears in your region with low transport fee, and buy it used directly from the Tesla website with $500 down. Then it will come with 1 year full warranty directly from Tesla, plus the battery/motors warranty that all the Xs still have. Good luck.

Reactions: Mayer and scottf200
Note that when Mayer said in post #7 "I was unaware early Xs had no regenerative braking " , that statement is incorrect. Regen braking is strong at all speeds above 5mph. But you do need the brake pedal under 5mph because regen disappears.
My P90D X is awesome, very fast, and I use FSD Beta all the time, because mine is a December 2016 build. My advice for you is to get a 2017 or 2018 X 100D, which has much higher range and faster charging battery compared to P90D, and 0 to 60 time at 4.7 seconds. You don't need the P90D unless you want the 0 to 60 time under 4 seconds. Just wait until the 100D appears in your region with low transport fee, and buy it used directly from the Tesla website with $500 down. Then it will come with 1 year full warranty directly from Tesla, plus the battery/motors warranty that all the Xs still have. Good luck.
A 2017 or 2018 doesn’t have the current motor / battery revisions. 😵‍💫🤷🏿‍♂️

Good advice. Thank you!

I’m planning on buying a Q4 2016 X eventually, but maybe not a P. If I were really adventurous I might even try to retrofit the retracting rear wing.

Keep in mind that there are three versions on 90kWh battery. Also that if your pack ever fails you can get a 100 replacement.

I’d want a 5 or 7 seat version where the seats fold flat.

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
Wait, I thought it was 8 years ... so 2016+8=2024?

"8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period. " Vehicle Warranty | Tesla Support
The new and old warranties are different. There was no mileage limit on the old S/X. But the 70% also wasn’t formalized. Still, the 8 year limit still applies. So you’ll probably need to pay for that replacement out of pocket.

I’m planning on buying a Q4 2016 X eventually, but maybe not a P. If I were really adventurous I might even try to retrofit the retracting rear wing.

Keep in mind that there are three versions on 90kWh battery. Also that if your pack ever fails you can get a 100 replacement.

I’d want a 5 or 7 seat version where the seats fold flat.
Do you know what it would cost to replace battery, ballpark?
Asking price is $40k for the P90D with 67k miles so it’s tempting

December 2016 P100d owner here. If you don’t mind the maintenance costs I think it’s worth 40k but you have to like to gamble.

Front axles every 30k if you have a lead foot. Front upper control arms are cheap. Falcon door gaskets are not. Transferable free unlimited supercharging my be worth something. MCU2 up grade is $2k+.

P models are all 6 seaters I think.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy