Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to rent Tesla Model S for west coast road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

As the title states, I'm in the process of planning a west coast road trip that will take me from Chicago west to Seattle, south towards San Diego, over to Houston and then back home to Chicago. This road trip stemmed from wanting to see the major points of interest and national parks along this route. I was simply going to rent a Toyota Camry but I thought that it would be great exposure and publicity for Tesla if it was done in one of their vehicles. I have already reached out to Tesla and have spoken to a few managers at a few facilities so I'm optimistic that something positive will result in this. The trip would be documented via pictures and video and then shared on social media. A friend of mine did a similar route in a vintage vehicle and his story was picked up by The Wall Street Journal so the media exposure is there.

Otherwise, I will sadly have to commence forward with a petrol powered vehicle.

Lastly, if you are willing to rent to me your Model S (w/Ludicrous Mode and Autopilot preferably), please send me a private message.

I plan on starting on road trip mid to late August 2016.

My Model 3 will not arrive in time to do it in my own vehicle. Plus, I currently have the time that allows me to complete such a road trip.

Thanks.

I have a P85D in Seattle(you could upgrade it to Ludicrous for me!). I can't imagine a reasonable price for such a trip. We're talking around 5,000 miles right? Even at 50 cents a mile that's pricey.

I guess you need someone in Chicago anyways, but if you think it would work and have a spare kidney we could work something out. Although insurance issues come to mind as well (using a service like Turo would eat up 30%).

What you plan on doing is nothing new. It's been done countless times on a Tesla, to include a 15K mile trip (over 3 years ago) and a record-breaking "L.A. to New York" trip on an electric vehicle. You'll have to figure out another angle on what makes your trip stand out but I think your biggest problem will be obtaining a Tesla especially since your Model 3 won't make it in time for the trip.

Thanks for the feedback. My trip is not merely LA to NY, but more of a west coast scenic tour with various stops at national parks and points of interest. This would highlight the efficiency of the Tesla vehicle given that it is a solo trip and the auto pilot feature would be used whenever possible.

I may simply have to embark on this trip in a gas powered car and then when I receive my Model 3, simply complete the trip and do the eastern side of the US.

If anyone here wants to rent me their Model S, please contact me and we can discuss rental cost.

With the Corolla I could complete the trip in a shorter amount of time due to the amount of gas stations vs needing to stop to charge up.

Thanks.

I have a P85D in Seattle(you could upgrade it to Ludicrous for me!). I can't imagine a reasonable price for such a trip. We're talking around 5,000 miles right? Even at 50 cents a mile that's pricey.

I guess you need someone in Chicago anyways, but if you think it would work and have a spare kidney we could work something out. Although insurance issues come to mind as well (using a service like Turo would eat up 30%).

Have you checked out turo.com? There are generally lots of Teslas available to rent.

There's one Tesla S on turo.com but the owner places a mileage limit of 1500 miles. Price would come out to $2500. Can't swing that just yet but simply with the mileage restriction, that option is out.

I'm still trying to figure out the publicity angle

Driving in a Tesla around half of the country. Sure, it may have been done before, but I still run into many skeptics on a regular basis who argue with me against the practicality of a Tesla. This would shed all barriers and driving solo, the auto pilot feature would be a high selling point.

What you plan on doing is nothing new. It's been done countless times on a Tesla, to include a 15K mile trip (over 3 years ago) and a record-breaking "L.A. to New York" trip on an electric vehicle. You'll have to figure out another angle on what makes your trip stand out but I think your biggest problem will be obtaining a Tesla especially since your Model 3 won't make it in time for the trip.

Don't have any other ideas for another angle other than a guy driving half way around the US in a Tesla. If I come up with a better one before I end up driving in a Corolla, I'll post up here.