Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loosing faith waiting for my car to arrive...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a month ago(Oct 27th) I took a test drive and put down a deposit on a new inventory 2018 Model S 75D. The OA at the Tesla store said it was actually already on its way to the store(Baltimore), and was currently on a truck in AZ. I was thinking this is great, I'll probably have it in a week or so. The very next day, the DA in Las Vegas sent me an email saying my pickup date would be 11/22 at 12 noon. Thanksgiving? So on Monday, I called the local store where I took the test drive, and the delivery team there said I could pickup the car on 11/14.
Well, a few days before the 14th, my OA and DA told me the car would not arrive by the 14th, and my new delivery date was now 11/27. So on November 24th I get a call from the store, confirming everything with the car, and the delivery date and time on the 27th. So today, one day before delivery, they tell me my car is still in Texas. In one month it has only moved from AZ to TX. Will it really make it the rest of the way to Baltimore in 3 days?
I get the feeling I am being deceived somehow... Ironically, Tesla says on their website if I order a car before Nov 30th, it can be built and delivered by the end of the year? How can this happen if it takes a month just to go to AZ from TX?
Very frustrating since my financing will soon expire and have to be redone, I suspect I have lost the yearly 400 KWH supercharger credit, and I need the car in three weeks to travel for the holidays.
I'm almost tempted to try and fly somewhere to meet the car and drive it back. But that complicate the sale because I'd have to probably pay sales tax twice, and get it re-titled in MD.

I suspect they don't have complete control of the transport vehicles. Don't know if it works this way when you book space on a car trailer or not but when we were moving and needed to arrange for a moving van we were one of two or three customers for that van. It had stops along the way before it reached us, and stops after, which would take it sometimes out of the way from a direct route to us; and if there was a delay along the way with someone not being ready, oh well not much we could do but wait the extra days. Weather factored into that as well. Carriers are going to want to fill that trailer if possible to maximize their profits for that trip. Not worth transporting one or two cars across country otherwise. Same thing for companies shipping product across the country when they don't have their own trucking line and even then the company will want to fill that truck if at all possible before sending it on its way. Basically you are at the will of the owners of the transportation unless you pay top dollar and pay for all of the cargo space.

I'm always a bit surprised at how people seem to jump to the suspicion that Tesla is always the bad guy here and intentionally lying to them.

Last edited:
I suspect they don't have complete control of the transport vehicles. [...]

I'm always a bit surprised at how people seem to jump to the suspicion that Tesla is always the bad guy here and intentionally lying to them.

I don't think they have ANY control over the transport. It seems really bad from what I read and it's why they don't transport the used ones anymore.

The issue is that they don't have this control and yet they make it appear as if they do have control over transport and they make promises that they can't possibly keep. So yes, never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, BUT also, don't trust incompetent people.

Tesla makes cool cars that are beautiful, electric and feature nice safety and autopilot features.
They do not do ANY of the other parts of car sales well.

I think Tesla is likely given an estimate from the carrier and Tesla tries to plan out from that date taking into account prep time once it arrives. One glitch or change on their part along the way and there goes the schedule. Our cross country moving van contract had a delivery between X and X and I think there were provisions in the contract that gave the carrier additional leeway under certain conditions. Basically they had your belongings and not much you can do but wait until it arrived.

Really not too different if you think about it when you send a package UPS/USPS etc. for example. They take your package, give you an estimated delivery date, and they'll work it into their system to maximize the most cost effective way to get it to you at their convenience unless you pay for expensive Next Day etc. service. I've stayed home all day on a few occasions waiting for something to be delivered and even when it said it was scheduled for delivery that day didn't happen. Nothing like waiting past 6pm, 8pm and Customer Service has said to me could even be later and then you check in and see the computer at 11pm has reschedule it for the next day. And sometimes the package arrives damaged.

Last edited:
I suspect they don't have complete control of the transport vehicles. Don't know if it works this way when you book space on a car trailer or not but when we were moving and needed to arrange for a moving van we were one of two or three customers for that van. It had stops along the way before it reached us, and stops after, which would take it sometimes out of the way from a direct route to us; and if there was a delay along the way with someone not being ready, oh well not much we could do but wait the extra days. Weather factored into that as well. Carriers are going to want to fill that trailer if possible to maximize their profits for that trip. Not worth transporting one or two cars across country otherwise. Same thing for companies shipping product across the country when they don't have their own trucking line and even then the company will want to fill that truck if at all possible before sending it on its way. Basically you are at the will of the owners of the transportation unless you pay top dollar and pay for all of the cargo space.

Well, then don't give out any ETA to the customer. It's not the customer's fault that Tesla the car builder/seller can't control the transport aspect of their own vehicles.

Its disturbing to me that I pay such a high price for a car, and I feel like they can't be bothered to move the car for me, even when it was already on its way to my location, supposedly. Had I bought an a new existing car from any other manufacturer for the same amount, I bet I would have had possession of it within two weeks.
My concern is that if this is happening to me, it must be happening to others, and what happens if we all get frustrated and back out? If Tesla were to fold and their super charger network goes down, I'll never hear the end of it from my wife.

Its disturbing to me that I pay such a high price for a car, and I feel like they can't be bothered to move the car for me, even when it was already on its way to my location, supposedly. Had I bought an a new existing car from any other manufacturer for the same amount, I bet I would have had possession of it within two weeks.
My concern is that if this is happening to me, it must be happening to others, and what happens if we all get frustrated and back out? If Tesla were to fold and their super charger network goes down, I'll never hear the end of it from my wife.

Regardless of car company, you pay for a transportation fee. Traditional dealerships are contracted to accept X number of cars from the manufacture and then they "trade" them between dealerships. It's up to those dealerships from that point on to move the cars and depending on how many sales they've made that week they will either negotiate what you pay or try to hold firm. So you likely pay for 2 transport fees (one from manufacturer to dealership and then from dealership to dealership) in the event the car you want isn't at that location. The transport fee has little to do with the price of the car really, applies to inexpensive lower end models and expensive fully equipped SUVs. As for delivery in two weeks from any other manufacturer, I don't think your local dealership who has to inventory dozens if not close to a hundred or more cars sitting in their lots, is selling anywhere near the daily/weekly volume that Tesla is. The local Tesla delivery centers are struggling to have space to store the volume of cars being sent to them and while many have leased space to help accomodate the arrivals for prep and delivery, only so many cars can be delivered and unloaded to a location. Before the Model 3, MS and MX deliveries were pretty routine and on schedule. This "delivery hell" is rather new to Tesla and we all saw it coming but knew they were financially constrained until production hit the mark. Right now it's kind of the price of wanting the hottest EV out there. Elon said he's like to see the delivery time from factory to owner cut down. It's going to take some time.

So are you backing out? Some people do, but if you read the posts from those that hang in and get their cars they aren't sorry they waited it out. As for the wife, well in retrospect one can always come back and say I told you so. I think though that you'll have years of enjoying your car in the meantime and this comes from a wife who enjoys both of our Teslas. After driving my husband's car that he really wanted, I know why he was so set on getting one. Now I enjoy mine.

Is the delivery process any different if you custom order the car?

Well we placed an order for both of our cars, so custom and not inventory. The MS had good communication throughout the process and delivered to our local pick up center actually a week or two early. But then they weren't in Model 3 hell back then. The Model 3 we got in November was a much lengthier process, with 2 scheduling missteps I guess you can say, until it all fell into place and I got it. My advise is take dates with a grain of salt and try not to stress over it. Went with no trade-in at the very end (decided to go the CarMax route) and helped that we were coming in with a check so didn't have to juggle financing arrangements. Not everyone has a bad experience with their delivery/paperwork process so keep that in mind. Hope you don't have to redo your loan.

I hope your car gets routed to you soon. Don't know what the weather is like from TX to your state but will be keeping good weather thoughts for you. BTW I love our 75D! Even though I really love driving my Model 3 and a lot of things about it, our MS will still be my favorite car.

BTW why would you think you'll lose the supercharger credit? It will be based on your order/delivery date so I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited:
I worked in Tesla Delivery for 2 years. so I have been "that guy" who has called customers to delay their delivery multiple times. My advice is to stay in close contact with your delivery person and local staff but dont be too pushy. They have little to no control over the movement of your car. I had vehicles sit at hubs for weeks with logistics unable to find a truck to move them on their last leg. Delivery people are required to schedule you based on information they see in their computer systems. They are under huge pressure to have 100% of customers scheduled within a few days of their car's arrival date in the system. Even if they know the car will never get there by that date. Basically the frontline Tesla folks are not empowered to be realistic with customers. They have to meet their metrics under really tough conditions. It might not seem like it but they are working really hard to get the car to you. They have to, their performance is measured based on the percentage of possible deliveries they can execute. If you get a good vibe from your delivery people and local staff just try asking "when do you really think my car will be here?" and tell them to be upfront and tell you if an appointment is for real or just to hold a spot in case the car is there.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Had I bought an a new existing car from any other manufacturer for the same amount, I bet I would have had possession of it within two weeks.

But then, it wouldn't be a Tesla. Yes, it happens to others, but you and they are in the minority. Soon, very soon, you'll have your car and all this will be a dimming memory, hard to recall as you drive with your Tesla grin.

And I love your avatar. Are you "In the jungle"?

OP, these are all growing pains, just like the CPO/used car program as well as the online accessories ordering. Not good, but worth the hassle once you do get your car.
If you’re really worried about Tesla folding and/or the SuperCharger network going down, that’s a lot to worry about on top of the normal quirks that come in owning a Tesla.