Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing interest in the Tesla Brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on my expectations, my ownership experience has been near perfect. That’s why it’s so frustrating when Elon doesn’t have his *sugar* together anymore. There’s no need to bend the truth so much. It’s an amazing car without FSD and all the other crap he keeps “promising”

Agreed. Just focus on execution and innovation. We’ll see it and we’ll buy it, no need for all the bamboozeling (much like there’s no need for that “price with savings”, it’s needlessly shady and it’s not fooling anyone).

How does that help S and X? :p

More supercharging locations?
Over here in NC, we have a good amount and they are never crowded. But we could always use more. Every 20 miles on every interstate would allow perfect timing with bathroom breaks/meals etc.
Also superchargers could have more services - like the coffee shop/bathroom on site. That will happen with 2,000,000 Tesla's on the road

Perhaps it's different in the US but over here in Europe, some (especially those with misplaced brand loyalty) may consider a Jaguar ipace or an Audi e tron.

In my mind, Tesla's unique offering of a widespread charging network and autopilot is going to keep them ahead of the pack for some time. Also, the recent discovery that their battery management is around 20% better than the competition is nothing to be sniffed at.

I for one am very much looking forward to finding out what the future brings.

The autopilot and smart cruise control are not products created by Tesla, rather they are developed by an Israeli company who sells the technology to any car company with a checkbook. I had a 2015 P90D with Autopilot. After I dumped the car due to continuing excessive and major problems I bought an older car, namely a 2014 Mercedes E550. It may be a year older, but guess what? It has the same technology, the cruise control is called Distronic and works the same as Tesla in all respects. The lane centering capability is actually better than the occasionally wonky system in my Tesla that would often do unexpected, violent actions.[/QUOTE]

The autopilot and smart cruise control are not products created by Tesla, rather they are developed by an Israeli company who sells the technology to any car company with a checkbook. I had a 2015 P90D with Autopilot. After I dumped the car due to continuing excessive and major problems I bought an older car, namely a 2014 Mercedes E550. It may be a year older, but guess what? It has the same technology, the cruise control is called Distronic and works the same as Tesla in all respects. The lane centering capability is actually better than the occasionally wonky system in my Tesla that would often do unexpected, violent actions.

Yawn.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT and Ciaopec

Wow! No offense, whitex, but I got a good chuckle out of your your reply to me. I have a mysterious ability to find software bugs that generally go unnoticed (some for a long time), but you're at a whole 'nother level! The duffel-bag-in-one-door-and-out-the-other story is wild. Maybe my S would behave as yours did (I'm really tempted to try it), but how many people would ever come across it? That you figured out what was causing it says a lot for your tenacity and problem solving ability!

Some of your examples fall into my category of ill-thought-out software updates, like unfolding the mirrors when the car starts moving. To me that doesn't speak to the quality of the vehicle, but to the lack of foresight of some of the management at Tesla. Maybe it does fit into the "early adopter" paradigm, just in a different way.

The HPWC thing I never heard of before now. I wonder if there's a good reason the new cars won't charge from the older HPWC's? Or did they just change the handshake protocols with no thought of impact to owners replacing older cars with newer ones (that does sound very Tesla, doesn't it)?

It's disheartening to hear that repair problems have not been addressed - they've been around forever, and fixing them is a logistics problem, not a product quality one (at least not directly).

The price decrease was long overdue, this will make S & X more competitive with the new EVs hitting the market (especially after Tesla fully loses the EV tax credit) and against ICEs. While it's frustrating we lost about $25K in value overnight with our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D, the other manufacturers are going to be impacted more if the new pricing helps to pull more of their customers over to Tesla.
Maybe to you a $25K hit doesn’t mean much. But to some of us S and X owners $25K hit still hurts immensely. And perhaps that’s where the resentment with the company’s ways could be stemming from.

The autopilot and smart cruise control are not products created by Tesla, rather they are developed by an Israeli company who sells the technology to any car company with a checkbook. I had a 2015 P90D with Autopilot. After I dumped the car due to continuing excessive and major problems I bought an older car, namely a 2014 Mercedes E550. It may be a year older, but guess what? It has the same technology, the cruise control is called Distronic and works the same as Tesla in all respects. The lane centering capability is actually better than the occasionally wonky system in my Tesla that would often do unexpected, violent actions.
[/QUOTE]

To this day, the best Autopilot performance I have experienced was in an old AP1 with the system you mentioned (now owned by Intel, if I remember correctly).

But it tends to fall on deaf ears or they just don't have the staff numbers to fix it.
You can only make the excuse they are a young company for so long, they've been making the Model S for what, 7 years, none of them should be leaving the factory with misaligned panels, weather-strips not fitted correctly, paint imperfections or faults that should have been picked up by pre-delivery. They've been getting called out for that for a long time but nothing has changed.
Totally agreed. Folks have invested in the company are bias and tried to defend a bad business operation with excuses.

Reactions: BinaryField
Let's say you owned a 100k+ Mercedes, BMW or whatever car you liked, in fact it doesnt have to be an expensive vehicle either. Dont they drop the price on there vehicles over time also or just before a new model comes out? Tesla is no different. All vehicle manufactures have done this so stop whining and realize it's all part of doing business. How hard is that for people understand. It happens in all retail environments.

Let's say you owned a 100k+ Mercedes, BMW or whatever car you liked, in fact it doesnt have to be an expensive vehicle either. Dont they drop the price on there vehicles over time also or just before a new model comes out? Tesla is no different. All vehicle manufactures have done this so stop whining and realize it's all part of doing business. How hard is that for people understand. It happens in all retail environments.

There is no replacement model of S/X yet, and FSD is not out yet for anyone. So yeah, it's different.

Reactions: croman
I turned in my leased Model X yesterday. I probably should have kept it. It was reliable. I just wanted something different. I miss it. I’m sad. I could make do with a Model 3, but it’s a bit small. I wish we could see inventory cars online or that there was a lot of inventory that you could drive or inspect. I probably would have bought one.

I sat in a new X100D. There was no alcantara on the dash and no ventilation for the front seats. No thanks.

Reactions: davidc18
I was in the Palm Springs this weekend and my brother and I test drove an Aston Martin Vantage, we looked the McClaren 600lt and a Bentley Continental GT Speed. They don’t have *sugar* on my P100D, they are slow, outdated feeling. The only one I really liked was the Mercedes E400 convertible. I love my car, the whole shopping experience reinvigorated my love for it.

I referred a lot of people to Tesla. I’d like to see them succeed and I am sure they will. I’ve been treated to the red carpet experience by their employees. I’d like to see their management treat their employees the same way they treated me.

Last edited:
Reactions: unbelievable
What's that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Not talking about features of a specific car but the fact that in any retail environment prices change all the time whether new models/items are coming or not.

Dont they drop the price on there vehicles over time also or just before a new model comes out?

Make up your mind :)

It wasn't over time, it was a sudden 30k$ + drop, with no new models introduced. Never seen it.
And I have never seen a flash sale on a preorder (which FSD really is), and the original preorders not being adjusted down to match.

Make up your mind :)

It wasn't over time, it was a sudden 30k$ + drop, with no new models introduced. Never seen it.
And I have never seen a flash sale on a preorder (which FSD really is), and the original preorders not being adjusted down to match.

All of a sudden or over time really doesnt matter because it's the same end result. As far as anyone knows or doesnt know what tesla is doing they could have a new model S in the works. Ive said this over and over, Tesla is doing things the way they feel they need to in order to make money/survive and why is that so hard for people to see. They are a business and just like all business if they dont adjust there sales model they will not make it. You dont like the product move on and go buy something else you can wine and complain about because if you think Tesla is the only one making tough decisions your must live on a rock.