Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of sound in New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y which is less than 2 weeks old, our first Tesla. It's sort of better than expected (in driving quality and sophistication of tech) but also glitchy. In the days we've had it, it has lost communication with both my and my wife's phone, causing the auto unlock and lock features to not work, several times. Sometimes it demands a physical key and sometimes using the app works but you have to manually choose lock or unlock. More disturbingly, yesterday all sound-based features on the car were totally gone. I checked (multiple times) that nothing was muted and it wasn't, and none of the infotainment sources produced sound (you could play things and turn them up full blast and the car would show they are playing but nothing came out), no GPS directions, no response from the voice recognition right scroll button on the steering wheel. I tried pulling over, going into park and then starting again and it persisted. At one point, with the radio at 100%, I could hear a very faint sound from the dash but it was barely there- and GPS still dead. Then finally I looked up online and did the reset thing (hold down both scroll buttons) and that brought things back to normal after the reboot and has been okay since then but who knows if it will happen again. Are these "normal" glitches for this car? Did I just buy a $50K Windows-mobile that needs a hard reboot from time to time? I can take it back for service obviously but just wondering if others have had this happen periodically. Like I said I'm impressed by the tech but also wondering if Teslas are so full of software based features that sometimes s**t just stops working

Mine does that too occasionally. The simple truth is that there has to be enough official complaints to have the software engineers work on a fix. It's much better media coverage when they come out with a new game, or a stupid new sound to play on the outside speakers, because that gets coverage. Fixing annoying issues that should never occur in the first place is low on the priority list. I have done two service requests for this issue, sent them video while it was happening, etc etc. Nothing.

Last edited:
Mine does that too occasionally. The simple truth is that there has to be enough official complaints to have the software engineers work on a fix. It's much better media coverage when they come out with a new game, or a stupid new sound to play on the outside speakers, because that gets coverage. Fixing annoying issues that should never occur in the first place is low on the priority list. I have done two service requests for this issue, sent them video while it was happening, etc etc. Nothing.
Ugh that's what I was afraid of. Yeah (though my kids were thrilled) I had to wonder how much software development time was spent for the fart on demand feature and how much is left to resolve more mundane things like this

Another great feature is the wipers going on instead of the cruise control when I push down the right lever . That was yesterday's bug of the day. Did it consistently the whole time I was driving it, then back to normal again today. Couldn't use cruise control at all that trip and the wipers wouldn't stop once the right lever triggered them, all the wiper functions just greyed out on the control panel. Honestly I have no idea if you guys put up with this kind of crap on a regular basis because of the complexity of the car but I am not happy wondering every day which function is going to go haywire. I'm going to request service but I have a feeling they will not be able to help me. So far 15 days in and not a happy camper at all