Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud screeching/squealing noise coming from rear wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
Was driving my P3D yesterday and made a right turn into a plaza and immediately heard a loud screeching noise which sounded like metal grinding against each other. The noise was coming from the rear drive side wheel area. Perhaps the brake caliper? It was extremely loud. The road we were on was filled with rocks and gravel but it didn’t really sound like a rock getting stuck somewhere. Anyways after driving home 20 miles or so the sound disappeared. Any ideas what this could be? I’ll probably take it in for service to check out just in case.

This literally happened to me tonight. I am at my mom's house for Christmas and she has pebbly driveway. The car started making a very loud metal screeching noise. Didn't know what it was so I contacted Roadside assistance. After reading this thread, I drove down the street and aped up/slammed on the breaks a few times. I could hear the pebble pop out while driving. Problem fixed and Roadside assistance canceled.

Reactions: hydro 481
Was driving my P3D yesterday and made a right turn into a plaza and immediately heard a loud screeching noise which sounded like metal grinding against each other. The noise was coming from the rear drive side wheel area. Perhaps the brake caliper? It was extremely loud. The road we were on was filled with rocks and gravel but it didn’t really sound like a rock getting stuck somewhere. Anyways after driving home 20 miles or so the sound disappeared. Any ideas what this could be? I’ll probably take it in for service to check out just in case.

I had the identical experience with my P3D months ago when I was driving on a road surface that had just been chip sealed. The rock passed about five minutes later, but got my attention. You should be okay.

Reactions: hydro 481