Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Louisiana will not give notary stamp for trade in vehicle (home delivery)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm trading in my current vehicle to get my Tesla and I'm doing home delivery. I live in Louisiana and I tried calling 4 different notaries and they all said the same thing. They will not notarize any title that has blank spaces for the buyers info (and probably won't do it without the buyers signature I assume). Yet the instructions from Tesla says that the notary stamp is required. Has anyone ever had this issue? Tesla is supposed to be calling me tomorrow about the situation, but I'm just checking in here to see what I can do in the meantime.

Attachments

• RDT_20190610_1521208469379382855762091.jpg
    RDT_20190610_1521208469379382855762091.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 147
You HAVE to fill out and sign the seller portion, and THAT is what you're getting notarized, not the buyer information or signature.

The notaries obviously don't know what you're asking as they will have no issue putting their stamp and signature on a signed-by-the-seller title. They do this all the time for every vehicle. The buyer never has his signature notarized.

A notary is nothing more than a verification of a signature. Nothing more.

@jpschwartz44 I also traded in my vehicle to Tesla when I bought my Model 3 (also in Louisiana) and I don't recall having any issues getting the title notarized.

I suggest you take the title and the instructions from Tesla down to a notary (maybe a UPS store or Title transfer agency) in person and see if you can get it done. I wish I could remember exactly where I had mine notarized before sending it in to Tesla - sorry I can't be more help.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: neroden