Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love to hear your opinions about this p85d vs 90d.

2015 P85D vs 2015 90D (same miles, similar cost)

• 2015 P85D

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • 2015 90D

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, on the nonstop prowl as we all are or have been in the hunt of our perfect car. I found two, eerily comparable, Model S’s that I’d love to hear your opinions on if willing to share. I’ve done a bunch of research regarding these 2 models and understand the basic spec differences. However, given that they are 2015’s, and there’s been numerous updates and new findings since their build dates, I’d be curious and grateful for anyone’s input regarding the value comparison of each car, as well as any tips anyone has learned about these cars since they were built. (Eg, the early 90D’s may have faulty batteries, or the 90D performs just as fast since an “uncorking” or update.)

Thanks guys, l’d Be happy to hear any input from those more in the know than me. Cheers,

85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H40FF081644 | Tesla

Model S 90D 5YJSA1E21FF109194 | Tesla

They both are option’d out the same with everything i want, except the p85d has the tech package (which I’m still a little unclear what the difference is, given that they’ve both received multiple software updates since their build dates)
Since i’ll Likely be pulling the trigger soon, I’d be happy to apply any referral codes anyone might have that could help you or me out in any way.

Tech package was GPS navigation early on, and autopilot activation before people knew autopilot was coming. It was removed later on, that stuff should always have been standard. I think the 90 has it but after it was standard.

Get the P85D. More power, might have + suspension, and the early 90 batteries degraded more than other batteries so in the long term the 90 would have the same range anyway.

Referrals aren't applicable to used cars.

Here are the 'real' pics of each, if you haven't seen them yet:

P85D:
2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H40FE081644 | False, Fa | Tesla

90D:
2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E21FF109194 | False, Fa | Tesla

Not that the quality of the pics is a huge help, but it gives you a little something. Not sure if that is a scratch across the pano of the P85D or just water streaks. Also interesting that the listing shows 21 grey turbines, but the photos are clearly the 19s.

Still, I will add one more vote to the P85D - from all accounts here, it is a great car, and you really won't ever be sad you went with the Performance. :)

Reactions: TapHabit
Here are the 'real' pics of each, if you haven't seen them yet:

P85D:
2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H40FE081644 | False, Fa | Tesla

90D:
2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E21FF109194 | False, Fa | Tesla

Not that the quality of the pics is a huge help, but it gives you a little something. Not sure if that is a scratch across the pano of the P85D or just water streaks. Also interesting that the listing shows 21 grey turbines, but the photos are clearly the 19s.

Still, I will add one more vote to the P85D - from all accounts here, it is a great car, and you really won't ever be sad you went with the Performance. :)
First thing i noticed!

Just got off the phone with my rep about it and they will be swapping out the silver for the 21” grey’s as advertised. He didn’t know why, but it was likely from curb damage.

Another question from those following along, the build date on the p85d was 03/15. It has been upgraded to LTE. Is there anything else of concern from that build date that i should know about that may be relevant to this purchase?

Thanks for everyone’s advice and votes btw. I’m somewhat new to this community and i’m Blown away by the knowledge/honesty and civility of this forum.

I'm not the expert but I believe 03/15 was in the P85D+ build range so that's either good or bad depending on how you feel about the + suspension.

See if you can get a 100% mile charge number from both, I'm curious how that 90 pack held up.

The thing with the 85 and 90packs is tesla never made one of either capacity. 85s were 77kwh, and the 90 I think 81kwh. There wasn't much difference.. and the first 2 revisions of the 90 degraded and lost miles, plus are subject to supercharging throttling after a while. The 85 pack is a workhorse, I've only lost ~6 miles in 6 years. That 90 probably lost more in the first year.

First thing i noticed!

Just got off the phone with my rep about it and they will be swapping out the silver for the 21” grey’s as advertised. He didn’t know why, but it was likely from curb damage.

Another question from those following along, the build date on the p85d was 03/15. It has been upgraded to LTE. Is there anything else of concern from that build date that i should know about that may be relevant to this purchase?

Thanks for everyone’s advice and votes btw. I’m somewhat new to this community and i’m Blown away by the knowledge/honesty and civility of this forum.

Our Ludicrous 2015 P85D+ build date was also March 2015 and it has been rock solid... and came with the IMHO superior Plus Suspension. We still absolutely LOVE it 3.5 years / 42,000 thrilling miles later. We definitely wouldn't feel the same about a 90D.

Consider selling your like new Turbine wheels & tires and buying a set of staggered Arachnids instead. Definitely better looking from what everybody tells me, lighter, stronger and likely faster &more efficient too. YMMV

IMG_4896.JPG

Our Ludicrous 2015 P85D+ build date was also March 2015 and it has been rock solid... and came with the IMHO superior Plus Suspension. We still absolutely LOVE it 3.5 years / 42,000 thrilling miles later. We definitely wouldn't feel the same about a 90D.

Consider selling your like new Turbine wheels & tires and buying a set of staggered Arachnids instead. Definitely better looking from what everybody tells me, lighter, stronger and likely faster &more efficient too. YMMV

View attachment 380503

P85D+ is the best car ever. No major issues after 4+ years. Well since we’re posting pics, here are my babies:

E24BC727-FD3E-485A-85A8-ED964B62AA50.jpeg

And then upgraded to black arachnids...

D97B7038-D2A6-4582-B21D-4219C9934246.jpeg

View attachment 380503
Love it. Love the white too, which is what I’ve been aiming for. But I’m close to pulling the trigger and have yet to find the options/price/location/miles of one with the look of yours. The obsidian black is a bit too murdered out for me, so this silver is looking like a great option. It doesnt’t State + for suspension, but says smart air suspension so I’m assuming it doesn’t have that. Other than the LTE upgrade, is there anything missing from a 3/15 build date i’m Missing out on from cars built in this year? I was trying to keep budget at or below 50k, but this ride might be cool enough to push the budget up a few k :)

View attachment 380503
Also curious, after 42k miles, what’s the range when charging to 100%? (I know, just charge to 90%, just curious as to the max capacity of the battery after that many miles)

Also curious, after 42k miles, what’s the range when charging to 100%? (I know, just charge to 90%, just curious as to the max capacity of the battery after that many miles)

It's been a while since I charged to 100% so I'm going to guess ~ 250 miles vs. ~255 miles originally. Our 90% daily charge is 224 miles now vs. originally 227 when we bought it with 2,905 miles on it ("inventory car"). VERY little battery degradation even with occasional Ludicrous launches and spirited driving. We charge daily at 60A / 240V with our gen1 Tesla High Power Wall Charger... and supercharge ~ once a month on regional road trips.

FYI longest actual miles we've gotten was 200 miles between Page AZ and Blanding UT (Monument Valley) in March 2017. This was with our "road wheelset" (square set of 19" Cyclone wheels and Michelin M&S tires) which are more pothole resistant and worked great in snow in Breckenridge CO.

Another question from those following along, the build date on the p85d was 03/15. It has been upgraded to LTE.
3/15 should have the + suspension. Note that note everyone like the stiffer ride (I love it, but have seen people here complain about it back then). As for your LTE comment, I'd make sure, because it doesn't seem it was upgraded at the time pictures were taken.
3G.jpg

3/15 should have the + suspension. Note that note everyone like the stiffer ride (I love it, but have seen people here complain about it back then). As for your LTE comment, I'd make sure, because it doesn't seem it was upgraded at the time pictures were taken.
View attachment 380536
Yes spoke with my rep directly about that, and the obvious 19”silver wheels vs the 21” grey turbines as advertised. He was unsure why the wheels were swapped other than they must have had bad rash, and told me it has in fact been upgraded to LTE. Both would be confirmed as part of a “due bill “ at signing. As far as the + suspension, why wouldn’t it be advertised as such, and why would it include “smart air suspension” in the description? Honestly i like aspects of both, but i certainly would want to know before signing. I’m in Sacramento and the car is in LA, so I’ll probably just fly down there and drive it back up.

Any other tips of things to look into for a first time buyer like me? (Ive been prowling this and other sites for 6 months now, so i think i know the basics)

As far as the + suspension, why wouldn’t it be advertised as such, and why would it include “smart air suspension” in the description?

Smart Air Suspension ("SAS") is an electronically controlled ride height adjustment that can be set for:
  • Very High
  • High
  • Standard (default)
  • Low
This is "smart" in that your Tesla can remember the ride height you select at GPS coordinates of multiple locations... and raise / lower your suspension automatically when you get near these GPS locations. It works great! We have it set to raise to High approaching our private street curbed driveway and our personal driveway... as well as several other locations.

The + suspension was never advertised, probably because IMHO originally Tesla decided to use the same / similar stiffer suspension components (shocks, sway bars, etc.) from the P85+ on the P85D+ but then decided to cut cost by making ALL Teslas with the same suspension components including P85D's made shortly after our March 2015 P85D+ was built. Yes this means except for the original P85D+'s made, every Model S P85D, P90D and P100D have the same "softer" suspension as plain Non-P models. Coming from a "street legal track car" Corvette Z06 we love the + suspension... but other people like the standard softer suspension. The + suspension is similar to the BMW makes "M" series, Audi "R" series, and Mercedes "AMG" vehicles with more sporty suspensions. Not for everybody, but driving enthusiasts usually prefer these sportier suspensions.

Reactions: TapHabit
Smart Air Suspension ("SAS") is an electronically controlled ride height adjustment that can be set for:
  • Very High
  • High
  • Standard (default)
  • Low
This is "smart" in that your Tesla can remember the ride height you select at GPS coordinates of multiple locations... and raise / lower your suspension automatically when you get near these GPS locations. It works great! We have it set to raise to High approaching our private street curbed driveway and our personal driveway... as well as several other locations.

The + suspension was never advertised, probably because IMHO originally Tesla decided to use the same / similar stiffer suspension components (shocks, sway bars, etc.) from the P85+ on the P85D+ but then decided to cut cost by making ALL Teslas with the same suspension components including P85D's made shortly after our March 2015 P85D+ was built. Yes this means except for the original P85D+'s made, every Model S P85D, P90D and P100D have the same "softer" suspension as plain Non-P models. Coming from a "street legal track car" Corvette Z06 we love the + suspension... but other people like the standard softer suspension. The + suspension is similar to the BMW makes "M" series, Audi "R" series, and Mercedes "AMG" vehicles with more sporty suspensions. Not for everybody, but driving enthusiasts usually prefer these sportier suspensions.
So its possible that the listing says “2015 P85D” and in the features section says “smart air suspension” but it actually has the + suspension? Like i said, I’m kinda good with it either day. I miss my 2016 stage 3 Subaru STi every time i see one on the road. That little AWD car absolutely ripped and my wife’s BMW 7 series cant hold a torch to any of these cars. Excited for my first Tesla!

You guys agree that the move is to fly down to LA and drive back up vs have them bring it up too a nearby service center for pickup? I wonder if its a flat 2k delivery regardless of where they’re shipping it to