Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low pressure on highest pressure tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a low tire pressure warning. The funny? thing is it is complaining about the tire which is showing the highest pressure in the sensors view.

I pumped it up to 42 and it's still complaining. Any way to reset the warning?

IMG_20181114_201248.jpg

I will try and bring them up to 42/43 tomorrow morning in cold. I just found it odd that the one tire it is complaining about shows the highest pressure ("REAR LEFT"). The picture shows all the other tires at a lower pressure yet that is the one it is complaining about. Anyway, this morning I brought it up to 41 and it still complained after around 10 kms.

Is there a way to get Tesla to reset the sensors? For example, what if I only wanted to tires to be inflated to 38 instead of the 45 they recommend?
Good question and a lot of thoughts come to mind. Apologies if I bore you with repeating info you may already know: TPMS is a lot more complicated than many people realize. Based on limited information from your post, it is difficult to know the reason or solution. You could have a faulty TPMS sensor or other reason.

The general rule of thumb for TPMS is cars is that you should get a warning when the pressure is "roughly" 20%-25% below the recommended tire pressure.

FYI, there are two main types of TMPS systems; indirect and direct. Tesla uses the dTPMS (direct) type and one of several reasons why the car needs to be moving to report tire pressures. It has an auto-learning process that takes several minutes to calibrate and you need to be moving at about 15 mph or more.

One question is when was your car made? The reason I ask is because Tesla changed systems a few years ago. If I recall correctly, it was in early 2015. Second question is whether or not you replaced that tire or had it repaired at one time?

To answer your question about ability to "reset" the TPMS. Yea, there used to be a method for doing that under the "service" menu, but so many problems occurred from drivers using that process, that it was determined to remove it. Example, one reason is drivers doing just what you want to do...... reset a low pressure because they didn't want to see the warning or thought it needed some sort of reset. It can (and usually does) cause other false indications, so you shouldn't generally do that.

Lastly, I can't think of a reason why you would want to inflate the tires to only 38 psi when recommended for much higher. Not a good idea in my humble opinion.

Just go to the service center and have them check it out. I'll be interested in hearing why that particular tire reports low when the other ones at higher pressure don't. I'm guessing just a variance in the calibration of each time. The other ones might be on the edge. My MX starts to report low pressure at 39 PSI.

Last edited:
Mine cold is at 45. But I’m in high elevation.
Out of curiosity, help me understand why you mention you are in a high elevation. I am wondering if you say that because of the lower air pressure at higher elevations? If so, it doesn't make any difference because TPMS reported tire pressures are relative to outside air pressure. Thus, 45 psi at 5,000 feet is the same as 45 psi at sea level as far as the tire is concerned :) Perhaps there is another reason you mention it that I am not thinking about ?

Good question and a lot of thoughts come to mind. Apologies if I bore you with repeating info you may already know: TPMS is a lot more complicated than many people realize. Based on limited information from your post, it is difficult to know the reason or solution. You could have a faulty TPMS sensor or other reason.

The general rule of thumb for TPMS is cars is that you should get a warning when the pressure is "roughly" 20%-25% below the recommended tire pressure.

FYI, there are two main types of TMPS systems; indirect and direct. Tesla uses the dTPMS (direct) type and one of several reasons why the car needs to be moving to report tire pressures. It has an auto-learning process that takes several minutes to calibrate and you need to be moving at about 15 mph or more.

One question is when was your car made? The reason I ask is because Tesla changed systems a few years ago. If I recall correctly, it was in early 2015. Second question is whether or not you replaced that tire or had it repaired at one time?

To answer your question about ability to "reset" the TPMS. Yea, there used to be a method for doing that under the "service" menu, but so many problems occurred from drivers using that process, that it was determined to remove it. Example, one reason is drivers doing just what you want to do...... reset a low pressure because they didn't want to see the warning or thought it needed some sort of reset. It can (and usually does) cause other false indications, so you shouldn't generally do that.

Lastly, I can't think of a reason why you would want to inflate the tires to only 38 psi when recommended for much higher. Not a good idea in my humble opinion.

Just go to the service center and have them check it out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Tesla over inflate the tires to maximize range. The recommended psi for the tire are typically lower.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Tesla over inflate the tires to maximize range. The recommended psi for the tire are typically lower.

Ok, so you are saying that Tesla does what I do with my checkbook? The wife says I constantly over-inflate the grocery budget to get better mileage out of my overall budget :D

Hmmm, I don't know the answer to that. Maybe someone else knows. Interesting thought. I only know the recommended pressure has changed a couple of times over the last couple of years and I forget the reason why. I think the current range is 42-45, but again, I am not sure. I'll ask someone on that team, but by the time I get the answer, someone else here likely will respond with good info.

Hmmm, I don't know the answer to that. Maybe someone else knows. Interesting thought. I only know the recommended pressure has changed a couple of times over the last couple of years and I forget the reason why. I think the current range is 42-45, but again, I am not sure. I'll ask someone on that team, but by the time I get the answer, someone else here likely will respond with good info.
I'm just curious. I have no problem setting it at 45. My preference is range over comfort anyways. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Out of curiosity, help me understand why you mention you are in a high elevation. I am wondering if you say that because of the lower air pressure at higher elevations? If so, it doesn't make any difference because TPMS reported tire pressures are relative to outside air pressure. Thus, 45 psi at 5,000 feet is the same as 45 psi at sea level as far as the tire is concerned :) Perhaps there is another reason you mention it that I am not thinking about ?
We have often had the TPMS report issues (low tire pressure) when going over mountain passes but I suppose it could've been due to the colder temperatures at higher elevations and not the elevation change itself. We often have the same issue when we have the first cold snap every fall.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert