Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower Your Expectations, Be Happy!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a love-hate with Tesla since my first experience ordering a Y back in 2021. Very long story short, it arrived with a hood that wouldn't close, panel gaps, poor paint, and they wanted me to accept it as is, but with an additional 3-4 weeks waiting for them to fix "what they can". No discount, no kWh's thrown in, just the feeling they didn't really give a damn. I got my deposit back and walked away from the deal.

I ended up with a Lexus hybrid which is a solid car but I miss driving electric. Years later I'm here in Waikiki on vacation, and boom...there's a Tesla store...Why not take another look?

They have a grey Y in the showroom. Same great looking car but with the same panel gaps mine had years ago, and orange peel paint on parts of the car. This is when I had a Revelation: Accept the Mediocre

Let's face it, Tesla's overall build and quality control is substandard when compared with any Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Tesla will never get the car anywhere close to perfect (as my Lexus is) and they make no effort to do so. So...why worry about it? Just accept the imperfections and realize I'm getting technology and a charging network that is far and away superior to everything else out there. As the saying goes, it's the inside that counts, right? Not the warts.

So, when my new Y arrives with panel gaps and poor paint I'll just chill out this time around and enjoy the car for what it is: The best EV option available today.
good message, but this is not the norm, the not-ready vehicles from Tesla are a rarity
I am three Teslas in and my bother his first, no issues with the entire experience and ownership now living in the ecosystem
Tesla is amazing
2024 is going to be a great year, outside the box and in front of everyone

Reactions: father_of_6
1709405143912.jpeg

If our Food, Drink and Service
Arn't up to your standards
Please lower your standards.

Perfection is often the enemy of joy.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilerlord
We just came back from Hawaii a few days ago and visited the Tesla store in Honolulu. The steel grey Model Y in their showroom has panel gaps and orange peel paint on parts of the car too. It's reasonable that most would view this car as Tesla's example of a "Showroom Condition" car since it's located in their showroom.
I think you meant Stealth grey. I've had two Corvettes that had orange peel, not a big deal to me. And almost every vehicle I've even owned has had some degree of a panel gap, again doesn't bother me unless it's really bad. But as I've said my latest Tesla has a way better build quality than my first one.