Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower Your Expectations, Be Happy!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a love-hate with Tesla since my first experience ordering a Y back in 2021. Very long story short, it arrived with a hood that wouldn't close, panel gaps, poor paint, and they wanted me to accept it as is, but with an additional 3-4 weeks waiting for them to fix "what they can". No discount, no kWh's thrown in, just the feeling they didn't really give a damn. I got my deposit back and walked away from the deal.

I ended up with a Lexus hybrid which is a solid car but I miss driving electric. Years later I'm here in Waikiki on vacation, and boom...there's a Tesla store...Why not take another look?

They have a grey Y in the showroom. Same great looking car but with the same panel gaps mine had years ago, and orange peel paint on parts of the car. This is when I had a Revelation: Accept the Mediocre

Let's face it, Tesla's overall build and quality control is substandard when compared with any Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Tesla will never get the car anywhere close to perfect (as my Lexus is) and they make no effort to do so. So...why worry about it? Just accept the imperfections and realize I'm getting technology and a charging network that is far and away superior to everything else out there. As the saying goes, it's the inside that counts, right? Not the warts.

So, when my new Y arrives with panel gaps and poor paint I'll just chill out this time around and enjoy the car for what it is: The best EV option available today.

Tesla is a different story.

Tesla doesn't tend to detail cars before delivery, unlike traditional dealers that will go through and fix things from the factory.
Tesla let's you list the issues that you find and then they will remediate them for you. They are able to fix many misalignments.

Remember that a traditional dealer makes a lot of money off the car. A Tesla delivery center doesn't make any.

See, you're getting it!!

When the car arrives with issues, why see this as a disappointment when it's an opportunity to make new friends in their service department and body shop.

Waiting a few more weeks to get things fixed just adds to the anticipation and enhances the overall Tesla experience. I'm going to embrace it this time around.

See, you're getting it!!

When the car arrives with issues, why see this as a disappointment when it's an opportunity to make new friends in their service department and body shop.

Waiting a few more weeks to get things fixed just adds to the anticipation and enhances the overall Tesla experience. I'm going to embrace it this time around.

Plenty of Tesla owners get a flawless car on pickup day. Mine was pretty flawless. The only thing I notice is that the flooring (carpet) on the left of the driver seat has a bad seam / gap. It's totally negligible to me, it'll only ever be under my feet.

I'll cross my fingers for you!

For sure though, the sales advisor cannot be trusted. I'm not saying that to be a jerk... just know that if you're basing your purchasing decision on what the sales advisor says, they could totally be wrong.

I've read many posts from people whose sales advisors gave incorrect information. I think this is partially because Tesla changes things so frequently and quickly, and partially because for most of the sales people - it's just their job. You'll find people on these forums who take a lot more of an active interest in what Tesla is currently doing.

See, you're getting it!!

The buyer is responsible for getting things fixed after buying. 😆

Let's face it, Tesla's overall build and quality control is substandard when compared with any Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Tesla will never get the car anywhere close to perfect (as my Lexus is) and they make no effort to do so.
I don't think it's far to compare Tesla to the quality of Lexus, BMW and Mercedes? Those are true luxury vehicles, while Tesla is only consider "luxury" because of their price point. But I have to say my latest Tesla purchase has much better panel gaps and no other issues so far. The thing with Tesla is that you can't say, you get what you pay for, because what you really are paying a premium for are the drive motors, battery pack and software, the "Tech". Maybe Lucid more what you are looking for in quality and luxury, if they can survive and get their prices down.

Tesla doesn't tend to detail cars before delivery, unlike traditional dealers that will go through and fix things from the factory.
Tesla let's you list the issues that you find and then they will remediate them for you. They are able to fix many misalignments.

Remember that a traditional dealer makes a lot of money off the car. A Tesla delivery center doesn't make any.
this is the main difference. dealers make a cut of the profit and perform pre-delivery inspection.
when i bought my tesla, the showroom had no zero resistance to correct the (truly) minor flaws that i saw.

Reactions: ewoodrick
I don't think it's far to compare Tesla to the quality of Lexus, BMW and Mercedes? Those are true luxury vehicles, while Tesla is only consider "luxury" because of their price point.
I think you missed my "accept the mediocre" statement regarding Tesla's build quality. I have accepted it, and others have too.

The first time around, my Y arrived with a hood that wouldn't close, poor paint, and panel gaps. To me, it was a shock and disappointment that Tesla allowed this vehicle to leave the factory in that condition - but flaws are a normal occurrence so why be surprised?

I've also learned from this thread, that Tesla puts the onus on the buyer to figure out what's wrong with the car when they receive it, "letting me" point out all the car's problems when I take delivery. So Fun! This was another revelation, so I'd like to thank @ewoodrick for pointing that out.

So, with that in mind - It's hard to be disappointed when you set the bar very low. This is part of the fun, kooky Tesla buying experience that I walked out on the first time.

I'm getting a great motor, battery, and technology. The rest of the car, not so much.

And that's ok.

I just find it a bit strange that a Volkswagen Golf isn't a "true luxury" vehicle either, but I've never heard anyone taking a multi-page checklist with them when they took delivery. My VW golf was perfect...great paint, no gaps, a hood that actually closed.

I guess it's that "but, they've been building cars for 100's of years thing".

One thing I have figured out is that Tesla really has no incentive in improving their own QC. Why?

Because people accept the mediocre. And that's ok.

Reactions: MD70
One thing I have figured out is that Tesla really has no incentive in improving their own QC. Why?

Because people accept the mediocre. And that's ok.

It sure seems like this thread is you taking a jab at Tesla, just masqueraded as a positive viewpoint. It's okay to do that, if that's what this is.

It's true Tesla's vehicles have their issues, but I haven't had a vehicle that didn't have it's issues. I also haven't had a vehicle before my Model 3 that turned me into a car enthusiast. Can't believe how much time I waste on these silly forums. Cars were always just cars before. No t the Model 3... it's still a car, but also so much more.

Tesla *has* improved their manufacturing, but perhaps not the QA. And to be fair, as you've stated - the other manufacturers have had 100 years to sort their issues out.

All new Y's come with LFP batteries, or is that a luck of the draw thing? The advisor didn't know but said he'd check back. Still waiting. Totally cool if I don't find out until it arrives, was just hoping someone knew.
Last I read *none* of the Y batteries were LFP, just Model 3 RWD (a.k.a. "standard range").

Just want to clarify for posterity's sake - the Model Y *is* sold with LFPs in Canada. I only just now realized you're in Edmonton.

Assuming it's just the standard range that's LFP, but I don't know that for sure.

I think you missed my "accept the mediocre" statement regarding Tesla's build quality. I have accepted it, and others have too.

The first time around, my Y arrived with a hood that wouldn't close, poor paint, and panel gaps. To me, it was a shock and disappointment that Tesla allowed this vehicle to leave the factory in that condition - but flaws are a normal occurrence so why be surprised?
No, I didn't miss your point at all. But you did compare a Tesla to those other luxury brands, as if you were expecting Tesla to have the same quality. I think you have to also remember that Tesla is a baby in the car market and things will improve over time. But I am in no way a Tesla, or Elon, fan boy. When they screw up I'll point it out. And yes, I wish Tesla would double down on quality control and really start pumping out more service centers. Maybe this time around with my Model Y I lucked out because as I said before, the quality in this car is way better than it was on my previous 2018 Model 3.

I do find it odd however that you would bring up VW, as if they are so much better. This is a company that knowingly lied with their dieselgate fiasco.

Well,have to say my new MYP (Jan 24) had zero gap concerns. I even checked the paint between door gaps and think for the price point was well built. No different than the Cybertruck; those receiving the intial ones are complaining about gaps ect. To be fair my half mil Ferrari Pista 2020 came with minor issues I.e replaced a lithium ion battery within one year at a cost of 7k. I had a Mercedes Amg which came with a bad steering problem they could not resolve. My lessons learnt warns against buying super early production cars. The first few months are OJT for the assemblers.

Reactions: ewoodrick
It would be interesting to examine 100 random Teslas, coming off the production line, and actually COUNT how many have the well-documented "panel gap, paint, interior rattle" QC issues. I have a sharp eye for detail, and I have yet to see issues in the hundreds of Teslas I've seen on the road, and I actively LOOK for the problems!

I find it hard to believe that any manufacturer could continue to have industry-leading sales numbers if these issues were common to more than a few examples.

My December 2020 MYLR was flawless, and continues to be rattle free at 51k miles. The paint is exceptional. Is my experience the exception, or are the vast majority of Teslas produced just as flawless?

It would be interesting to examine 100 random Teslas, coming off the production line, and actually COUNT how many have the well-documented "panel gap, paint, interior rattle" QC issues. I have a sharp eye for detail, and I have yet to see issues in the hundreds of Teslas I've seen on the road, and I actively LOOK for the problems!

I find it hard to believe that any manufacturer could continue to have industry-leading sales numbers if these issues were common to more than a few examples.

My December 2020 MYLR was flawless, and continues to be rattle free at 51k miles. The paint is exceptional. Is my experience the exception, or are the vast majority of Teslas produced just as flawless?
As someone new to the brand I'm happy to read that. Tesla's rep for questionable build quality and consistency rings loudly into the public arena, and I admit to having fears about committing to any model, but I recognize that there's a massive machine fueling the vitriol toward the brand and that can cloud reality. In hearing from owners, yeah, it's not guaranteed that your car will be perfect, but I'm less apprehensive about the hardware that will be delivered (hopefully next week) than I was a month ago, before purchasing.

Reactions: father_of_6
I do find it odd however that you would bring up VW, as if they are so much better. This is a company that knowingly lied with their dieselgate fiasco.
Staying on point...

I said my own VW's build quality in terms of paint, lack of panel gaps, and a hood that actually closed - was better than the car that Tesla wanted me to accept.

We just came back from Hawaii a few days ago and visited the Tesla store in Honolulu. The steel grey Model Y in their showroom has panel gaps and orange peel paint on parts of the car too. It's reasonable that most would view this car as Tesla's example of a "Showroom Condition" car since it's located in their showroom.

This isn't stopping me from buying one.

I mean think for a moment about the reason behind why people on this forum advise others to bring a multi-page pre-delivery checklist with them before accepting delivery. If the majority of the cars that ship from the factory were "flawless"...

This wouldn't be necessary.