Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering Raven?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're waiting for our 2019 Long Range to be delivered, and I've already collected a few toys to install right away. Primarily, 20x9 ET30 BBS CH-Rs with 245/40-20s and Airmatic lowering links.

Has anyone used adjustable or longer links on a Raven yet? One reason we ordered one instead of picking up an inventory car (without adjustable shocks) is the smoother ride on the Standard setting, which I plan to run with my wife in the car, since she's sensitive to such things. My concern is that, when lowered and with less compression damping in Standard, it will blow through the remaining travel too easily and hit the bump stops (I presume there are bump stops somewhere). With the Airmatic links I can adjust the length while on the car, so I may need to see what I can get away with in Standard. In Sport I assume that the increased damping will make it less likely to hit the stops.

Measuring the Airmatic links, one full turn of the barrel equals 2.0mm, and at 5:1 the car should lower 10mm (0.4in). I figure if I put a scribed or painted mark on the barrels I can easily count turns. I don't plant to go too low, maybe 2 or 2.5 turns. Maybe if I adjust the links 1/2 turn longer each month, my wife won't notice the change!

It would be nice if the car could be run at higher speeds on High, which would bring the car closer to the middle of the suspension travel (stock Normal) when lowered. At least I can set it to automatically raise where we have known speed bumps.

I'll post photos once I get the car. The silver CH-Rs are stunning, they're going to look amazing on the red MS.

Do Raven cars even use the same kind of height sensor links?

Good question. My assumption has been that the air spring system has not been changed, at least the self-leveling and ride height controls. This comparison photo seems to show similar air spring components. The photo on the right (Raven) shows a small green component behind the top of the steering knuckle/spindle, I believe this is the end of the arm on the encoder. There is a Raven S in town, I'll have to see if I can get a closer look.

model-s-adaptive-suspension-1.jpg

We picked up the car yesterday and drove it home through some hail around the south side of Mt. Hood. I immediately removed the front license plate bracket and this morning I installed the lowering links and 20x9" BBS CH-Rs. I went with about +4mm on the links, and the most difficult part of the installation is pressing the new links over the balls. Vice grips and a C-clamp were helpful. I did use a Dremel sanding drum on the front fender liners to add some clearance around the front links, which may or may not have been necessary. I haven't yet measured the ride height carefully, but it's close to 28.25" at all four corners on Normal.

CH-R 28.25.jpeg

New Airmatic Evolution front link installed.
Front Link.jpeg

Original plastic rear link before removal.
Rear Link.jpeg

Reactions: Cheburashka
These link setups look very similar to original design.
50mm front, and 70mm rear with a 180 degree twisted ball direction.
10mm ball/socket size.

I found adding 2mm length to old design lowers by 1/4" and your results sound similar for new design.

Reactions: logan
These link setups look very similar to original design.
50mm front, and 70mm rear with a 180 degree twisted ball direction.
10mm ball/socket size.

I found adding 2mm length to old design lowers by 1/4" and your results sound similar for new design.

Agreed. I don't have experience with the cars without dynamic shocks (pre-Raven), but this seems to confirm that the air spring height adjustment components have not changed (or not significantly).

To add a little content to the thread, when shopping for aftermarket wheels and tires, I found the following two links to be especially helpful:

The Unplugged Performance Wheel and Tire Sizing Guide shows the wheel diameters, widths, offsets, and weights, plus the tire sizes, for all Tesla OE options.

That information, plus the dimensions of any wheel and tire combination you might be considering, can be plugged in to the Calculator at WillTheyFit.com. In this case I'm comparing the 20x9" BBS CH-Rs and tires I ordered with Tesla's optional 21x9" rear wheels and tires. I can see that I'll have 10mm more poke and 10mm less inset (obvious, since the width didn't change, only the offset), and my rolling circumference has changed by 2% (it's nearly identical to the Tesla 19" option, though). I used to do these calculations with Excel, but this is nicer because it also gives you a visual representation.

I really want to do these links on mine but nervous about alignment and tire longevity. Looks amazing with the bbs and that ride height

Thanks! I haven't tried to measure the rear camber yet, but I'll try to do that soon and also keep an eye on the tire wear. I've considered that I might need to install eccentric upper control arm bushings for camber adjustment, but maybe not if I do a sufficient amount of hard cornering. "Sweetie, I have to take every onramp at 100mph so we'll save money on tires!"

• Funny
Reactions: BrownMS
I really want to do these links on mine but nervous about alignment and tire longevity. Looks amazing with the bbs and that ride height

Thanks! I haven't tried to measure the rear camber yet, but I'll try to do that soon and also keep an eye on the tire wear. I've considered that I might need to install eccentric upper control arm bushings for camber adjustment, but maybe not if I do a sufficient amount of hard cornering. "Sweetie, I have to take every onramp at 100mph so we'll save money on tires!"

After you are done fiddling with the links, you should get an alignment. I did that and my tires are wearing evenly.

Reactions: dcmackintosh
I have a 2019 100D Raven, we took delivery 3 weeks ago. I ordered custom Stance Wheels, 21x9 +25 front and 21x10.5 +30 rear. Took 5 weeks for the wheels but they finally arrived today. I also will be installing the Airmatic evolution lowering link . I plan on adding 6mm lenght to the links

My car is dark silver metallic. I already did the chrome delete, tinted all windows 20% ceramic and front plate delete.

Attachments

• jayt1.jpg
    jayt1.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 103
  • jayt2.jpg
    jayt2.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 95
  • jayt3.jpg
    jayt3.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I have a 2019 100D Raven, we took delivery 3 weeks ago. I ordered custom Stance Wheels, 21x9 +25 front and 21x10.5 +30 rear. Took 5 weeks for the wheels but they finally arrived today. I also will be installing the Airmatic evolution lowering link . I plan on adding 6mm lenght to the links

My car is dark silver metallic. I already did the chrome delete, tinted all windows 20% ceramic and front plate delete.
Have any pix?

NO. DON'T DO THAT.

If you're going to add rear camber adjustability, do it properly with aftermarket camber arms. I had eccentric inner bushings on my upper control arms, and they have a HUGE Achilles heel: adjusting the position of the inner mounting point moves the position of the mounting ball on the control arm and extends its swing. So, you'll likely need to have the car re-leveled after installing and aligning it. It's a huge pain.

I have since installed a proper engineered product:

Adjustable Rear Camber and/or Toe Arms for Tesla Model S

....and they look and function much better. I'd strongly suggest that route, if any.