Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really interested in the Mild option, I just want to make sure it's not too soft. Is the comparison to factory you show above against the original stiffer Tesla springs or the softer re-design that early owners have an option to update to now?

Thanks!

Sorry about that, I accidentally posted the older version of the chart (before we got our newer VIN demo car with the updated suspension and were able to get measurements of the newer spring rates). Here’s the updated chart, which includes the updated OEM suspension (the second diamond in the first row shows the rough difference in spring rate of the V2 OEM springs):

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Spring-Set-Diagram-V2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I accidentally posted the older version of the chart (before we got our newer VIN demo car with the updated suspension and were able to get measurements of the newer spring rates). Here’s the updated chart, which includes the updated OEM suspension (the second diamond in the first row shows the rough difference in spring rate of the V2 OEM springs):

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Spring-Set-Diagram-V2.jpg
Do you guys install springs and, if yes, how much do you charge?

Reactions: atlas310
That's my car(literally)! I love the finished product. I was very hesitant and naturally skeptical of any improvement in ride while also dropping the car. I noticed a difference in ride quality with out a doubt. I had the newer spring set up from Tesla and over 1,000 miles on them for reference. I could immediately tell the difference driving down the road from their shop. The small variations in the road, and hitting that bumpy railroad crossing next to the Hyperloop pod tester was definitely absorbed better with these moderate springs. I haven't cornered too hard or put that secondary rate to the test, but first impressions were extremely positive. Good product. I definitely recommend them. PM me if you have any questions. I'll answer as best I can. As an added plus, they answered all of my questions, returned my annoying emails and were obviously familiar with everything Tesla. They worked with my tight schedule and got the install done quickly(closer to 2hours than 3). Keep up the good work!

Reactions: RBowen and Ferdball
@dapiya,

Congrats! Love it! Can you post afew more photos only from a short distance....those photos from UP are too close too get the ‘full effect’ of the drop in perspective. Also a Followup on your driving impressions after awhile would be great! Enjoy!

Ski

@Skione65
What helped me decide to go for it was the fact that I could pretty easily have someone put the original springs back on if I wasn't satisfied for whatever reason. I'll post an update here in a couple of weeks. Here are a few pics I took yesterday...
WOW, this car is gorgeous! The model 3 is already a classic and in my opinion, it will be years before Tesla can ever meet demand. The model 3 will command a premium in the resale market. This car is a tuner/modifier/customizer's dream come true. @tracksyde , you and I have a high bar to meet!

Had anyone analyzed the change in efficiency at constant HW speed, say at 75?
Simple theory suggests it should improve ... but does it and by how much?

I'm thinking of getting the mild version that lowers the car by 0,7" (1,7cm).
1,7cm times 23,5cm (tire width) times 4 (wheels) equals 160 square centimeters reduction of frontal area (~2410 cm2). That is a surface of about one side mirror.

There is also a reduction of empty space between wheel wells and the tires (by ~1/5), possibly reducing total turbulation.
Will this give another 5% of HW range? Can please someone check it out?

Reactions: pace and tracksyde
Lowered cars look dumb. Cars that are slammed enough that they require the tires to be severely cambered to fit under the fenders look absolutely moronic.

I was on my way home from work yesterday, and was sitting next to a black Acura TL at a stoplight. It had aftermarket rims, and was slammed far enough that the rear tires had to be tilted to fit in there. All I could think was "What a f@#king idiot".

How fast do cars grind up tires when they are all cambered over to one side? 5000 miles? Not my idea of cool, to be buying tires all the time for no good reason except to look stupid.

I'm thinking the same thing whenever I see any lowered car. Tesla put a lot of work into making the Model 3 look good and run good, then you want to go and mess it up.

Last edited:
Tesla put a lot of work into making the Model 3 look good and run good, then you want to go and mess it up.

Whatever, man. Have you ever seen a Model 3 in person? They ride so high that I can fit my entire palm between the tire and fender. Reducing that gap to two fingers, the way most other sports sedans look from the factory is hardly 'slamming' the car. 1% negative camber is only half what the Model S and X seem to have from the factory, so tire wear should not be an issue. Also, it is "run well," not "run good." If you're going to be a crankypants, at least have good grammar.

Lowered cars look dumb. Cars that are slammed enough that they require the tires to be severely cambered to fit under the fenders look absolutely moronic.

I'm thinking the same thing whenever I see any lowered car. Tesla put a lot of work into making the Model 3 look good and run good, then you want to go and mess it up.
Tesla poorly chose not to put trunk emblems on the 3. I will prove them wrong, that it looks good. My 3 will have them, I want to people to know what I have.

Getting "Model" and "75" emblems (since my 3 has the LR battery, which is proven to be around 74-76 KW capacity) is easy enough on ebay, but I'm having trouble finding a "3" emblem that looks right.
Yeah, that's the psychological flaw known as, "everything I do 'looks good' and everything you do 'looks dumb and moronic'." And now I expect the "but, but, but" reply. Aren't you the same guy who said other people who drive model 3s shouldn't wave because they are not your friend? Why would you want "people to know what you have" when they are not your friends? I'm sure they couldn't care less.

Putting looks aside, every time you park the car in about 80% of parking spots you have to be looking out for those damn parking curb blocks that have no consistent height and are designed to scrape the bottom off your front chin. Lowering just about guarantees you will have scraped chins sooner or later as you misjudge the distance to one. If we had a front camera like the Bolt, maybe, otherwise I can live with the difference in appearance.

You say lower and the people get their crazy images into their heads totally missing the written stuff. I said mild springs that lower by 0.7". The result is a ride height still higher than my current unmodified car that i managed to scrape 0 times.

So, no data on effciency?

You say lower and the people get their crazy images into their heads totally missing the written stuff. I said mild springs that lower by 0.7". The result is a ride height still higher than my current unmodified car that i managed to scrape 0 times.

I don't think there are enough people with the springs yet and most who have them are doing it for looks not efficiency gains. I believe there is some efficiency gains, but probably not much and the data would probably get lost in the noise and variables. In real world, I would have to estimate 1%-2% gains max. With winds, temperature, elevation changes, etc..I don't think would be able to realistically notice any appreciable difference.

Whatever, man. Have you ever seen a Model 3 in person? They ride so high that I can fit my entire palm between the tire and fender. Reducing that gap to two fingers, the way most other sports sedans look from the factory is hardly 'slamming' the car. 1% negative camber is only half what the Model S and X seem to have from the factory, so tire wear should not be an issue. Also, it is "run well," not "run good." If you're going to be a crankypants, at least have good grammar.

The only car I have ever seen that NEEDS lowering springs are Dodge Neons. That all came from the factory with the "ass-in-the-air" look. I never did like that, but it was easy enough to go to the local auto parts store and get a cheap kit of bolts and brackets that pull a couple coils of the rear springs together and lower the car like that to a more normal looking stance.

The 3 already has a very good coefficient of drag (.23, something like that?), so I doubt that lowering it 0.7 inch or 1.5 inch or 2.1 inch would show little if any gains to that. The underside of the car is already pretty smooth with the battery pack in there, so its not like keeping more air from going under the car will help much.