Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 LR RWD as well with Eibach springs and running for about 4 years.

The UP springs are known to have noise issues and probably the only on your list above with plastic noise isolators. TSportline springs seem to be fine but I think Eibach ride a hair lower. H&R seem to ride even lower that Eibach and I've read that the H&Rs are a bit on the stiff side.

I have had zero problems with the Eibachs.
  • seems to be goldilocks height. It very rarely has clearance issues. Regular speed bumps don't require additional slowing down compared to stock springs.
  • it's as comfortable as stock
  • no noise whatsoever
  • trimmed my bump stops according to manufacturer's instructions. This is a widely debated decision but I think best to follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
Yes, coilovers are a great option providing they are reputable quality. The advantages are:
  • height adjust-ability, and
  • spring and shocks designed to work in conjunction.
Springs are not necessarily a bad option depending on your needs and they have suited mine. Keep in mind a reputable spring company with a significant R&D budget (like Eibach) can design their springs to match the characteristics of the stock shocks to create a well-matched set. Especially, if the car is not tracked and street use only.
Thanks for the info - would you mind sharing pictures?

Regarding the coilovers - agree with the comments that it's probably better. I just want to improve the looks without much headache. It's not a matter of having the funds. I have a weekend car that I use for fun, so it's hard for me to justify 3x the cost (700 installed for springs vs 2k installed for coilovers) in this situation.

I have a 2018 LR RWD as well with Eibach springs and running for about 4 years.

The UP springs are known to have noise issues and probably the only on your list above with plastic noise isolators. TSportline springs seem to be fine but I think Eibach ride a hair lower. H&R seem to ride even lower that Eibach and I've read that the H&Rs are a bit on the stiff side.

I have had zero problems with the Eibachs.
  • seems to be goldilocks height. It very rarely has clearance issues. Regular speed bumps don't require additional slowing down compared to stock springs.
  • it's as comfortable as stock
  • no noise whatsoever
  • trimmed my bump stops according to manufacturer's instructions. This is a widely debated decision but I think best to follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
Yes, coilovers are a great option providing they are reputable quality. The advantages are:
  • height adjust-ability, and
  • spring and shocks designed to work in conjunction.
Springs are not necessarily a bad option depending on your needs and they have suited mine. Keep in mind a reputable spring company with a significant R&D budget (like Eibach) can design their springs to match the characteristics of the stock shocks to create a well-matched set. Especially, if the car is not tracked and street use only.
The big problem with the stock suspension is not the springs or even the ride height which of course isn't really great from a number of perspectives it's the stock shocks. Older years had particularly problematic valving with high compression and flaccid rebound. Plus the bump stops were prematurely recruited so you got essentially jacking of the inside wheel. All of those issues are impossible to rectify with just springs. I understand the compelling cost logic, but almost everybody that's done Springs and compared that with a good coilover set has pretty much said these are not comparable and their results are far better when they did the full coilover kit. The MPP kits literally transformed our cars.

Last edited:

Regarding the coilovers - agree with the comments that it's probably better. I just want to improve the looks without much headache. It's not a matter of having the funds. I have a weekend car that I use for fun, so it's hard for me to justify 3x the cost (700 installed for springs vs 2k installed for coilovers) in this situation.
The big surprise for us was how much particularly the Comfort adjustable coilovers on my wife's car improved it as a daily driver. Far more comfortable ride. And with significant Improvement in handling too. That's the thing - a properly done coilover kit can give you much better ride, with somewhat better handling or much better handling with somewhat better ride. In any case the car is a whole lot more enjoyable. And also ended my wife complaining about any tweaking of the cars. Her new position is "keep pimping out the car"!

As the old joke goes "cost of coil springs $700, cost of coilover kit $2500, cost of wife no longer complaining . . priceless! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
The big problem with the stock suspension is not the springs or even the ride height which of course isn't really great from a number of perspectives it's the stock shocks. Older years had particularly problematic valving with high compression and flaccid rebound. Plus the bump stops were prematurely recruited so you got essentially jacking of the inside wheel. All of those issues are impossible to rectify with just springs. I understand the compelling cost logic, but almost everybody that's done Springs and compared that with a good coilover set has pretty much said these are not comparable and their results are far better when they did the full coilover kit. The MPP kits literally transformed our cars.
I've never had those issues you mentioned with my shocks so maybe I lucked out. I also have never felt my bump stops prematurely recruited. I guess it also depends on the roads one drives on plus individual driving styles. Bottomline for me after years with springs only is that I've never felt any need to pull them out and replace with coilovers as they perfectly suit my needs. My guess is that the MPP comforts would be better than my stock shock + Eibach springs set up but since I am perfectly happy with what I have I am glad I didn't spend the extra money out of the gate on coilovers. With respect to the stock shocks, I cannot pinpoint it right now but seem to recall that MPP once mentioned they are not bad. Maybe there's inconsistency and some are delivered by the factory as horrible and some good, not sure. So to answer the question of whether coilovers are a good idea - absolutely yes but at the same time many have stated they are perfectly happy with their spring only setups.

I've never had those issues you mentioned with my shocks so maybe I lucked out. I also have never felt my bump stops prematurely recruited. I guess it also depends on the roads one drives on plus individual driving styles. Bottomline for me after years with springs only is that I've never felt any need to pull them out and replace with coilovers as they perfectly suit my needs. My guess is that the MPP comforts would be better than my stock shock + Eibach springs set up but since I am perfectly happy with what I have I am glad I didn't spend the extra money out of the gate on coilovers. With respect to the stock shocks, I cannot pinpoint it right now but seem to recall that MPP once mentioned they are not bad. Maybe there's inconsistency and some are delivered by the factory as horrible and some good, not sure. So to answer the question of whether coilovers are a good idea - absolutely yes but at the same time many have stated they are perfectly happy with their spring only setups.
For sure if you're happy with your car there is absolutely no reason to change anything. Most of the difficulties with the shocks and with the recruitment of the bump stops under high loads are not seen unless you're tracking your car or you're going over extremely bad road surfaces. Tesla has improved the stock shock performance in the new cars, the Highland models, apparently have gotten some additional improvements in control over low frequency versus high frequency oscillation.

also have tsportine springs on a 2018 LR rwd. 4 years. no issues. running tss 19x9.5+35 on 265/35/19 Hankook evo3 K127 performance (summer) tires.

IMG_0207.jpeg

Reactions: BobbyM3
Anyone notice squeaks coming from the stock shocks? Ive been lowered on eibach springs for about a year and a half and im noticing a faint squeak going over small bumps at times. Not 100% positive that its the shocks.

Not the best picture but here you go. I snapped this shortly after my side-skirts were installed.

SIlver3.jpg

It's also a case of you don't know what you don't know. I'd guess that if you went with MPP comforts you'd notice it a little bit, but after a month or two, if you went back to stock, you'd instantly know just how crappy the stock setup is.

Anyone notice squeaks coming from the stock shocks? Ive been lowered on eibach springs for about a year and a half and im noticing a faint squeak going over small bumps at times. Not 100% positive that its the shocks.
My bet is on your front upper control arm ball joints. Common issue in all Model 3s.

Disconnect them from the upright, inject some moly grease into the boot, swivel it around, and reinstall. Happened to me with less than 20k miles (and a month out of warranty).

Reactions: tegra7 and dfwatt
Just read through this entire thread - I see a few main options:

I see a few main options:
  1. UP Mild or Moderate
  2. Tsportline
  3. Eibach
  4. H&R
Can anyone with lowering springs that has had them for a few years and chime in on their experience with your spring and the following comments?
  • Ride height/scraping or bottoming out
  • Ride comfort
  • Suspension Noise
  • Did you modify your bumpstops

I know coilovers are probably the better option but not looking to spend quite that much. I am on a 2018 LR RWD if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance
Another thing that might be a possibility to consider is after you lower the car, will you be able to dial in the proper alignment that won't accelerate unnecessary or abnormal tire wear. I believe I read some people felt additional camber-related parts were required to get that dialed in correctly. Something to consider that might add to the cost of springs.

Also, How do you guys feel about the battery being that much lower to the ground? I know I've had some unavoidable objects in the road that couldn't be seen in time to swerve around, so in those circumstances I always try to straddle the object and hope it clears vs hitting it with the tire. I've been pretty fortunate that objects cleared but felt if I was even an inch lower it certainly would have hit the battery area.

Not everyone wants to invest over $2k for largely an upgrade to the looks of the car. Unfortunately, the Model 3 looks wretched at stock ride height; almost like an SUV. The issue is compounded by the fact that even though the car looks terrible stock, it is relatively low to the ground stock. So it's a double whammy. I put Eibachs on M3P and it absolutely fixed the appearance of the car which was goal number 1. Immediate transformation. However, the problem is the ground clearance becomes a constant chore to deal with. I live in hilly western PA and I was always worried about scraping. I even had to skip outright certain commercial entrances because the grade was too much. If you are always cognizant of it, you can largely protect against the problem but it's something you need to think about all the time. I don't think the springs made the already terrible stock suspension any worse. Garbage in garbage out there but no worse at least. Tesla needs to fix the stock suspension and at least lower the M3P suspension to differentiate the car. On the topic of tire wear, yeah, my 1 inch lowered car chewed through tires like nothing I've ever seen. Good luck trying to get a proper alignment as well. Went to multiple shops and most wouldn't even touch a Tesla. Those who did had no clue how to adjust. Tesla is a huge headache as well. They won't like working on a lowered car and with their service times, you have to leave the car with them for days.

Not everyone wants to invest over $2k for largely an upgrade to the looks of the car. Unfortunately, the Model 3 looks wretched at stock ride height; almost like an SUV. The issue is compounded by the fact that even though the car looks terrible stock, it is relatively low to the ground stock. So it's a double whammy. I put Eibachs on M3P and it absolutely fixed the appearance of the car which was goal number 1. Immediate transformation. However, the problem is the ground clearance becomes a constant chore to deal with. I live in hilly western PA and I was always worried about scraping. I even had to skip outright certain commercial entrances because the grade was too much. If you are always cognizant of it, you can largely protect against the problem but it's something you need to think about all the time. I don't think the springs made the already terrible stock suspension any worse. Garbage in garbage out there but no worse at least. Tesla needs to fix the stock suspension and at least lower the M3P suspension to differentiate the car. On the topic of tire wear, yeah, my 1 inch lowered car chewed through tires like nothing I've ever seen. Good luck trying to get a proper alignment as well. Went to multiple shops and most wouldn't even touch a Tesla. Those who did had no clue how to adjust. Tesla is a huge headache as well. They won't like working on a lowered car and with their service times, you have to leave the car with them for days.
Aligning a Tesla is like aligning any other car...take your car else where like a performance shop that likes to work on modified cars...once you have a proper alignment tire wear isn't an issue.

For instance i drive about 1 hour away to get a good alignment done to my specs and they don't complain about it being a tesla...

Aligning a Tesla is like aligning any other car...take your car else where like a performance shop that likes to work on modified cars...once you have a proper alignment tire wear isn't an issue.

For instance i drive about 1 hour away to get a good alignment done to my specs and they don't complain about it being a tesla...
I understand that but many shops don't. You found one that didn't. I'm relaying my personal experience living in a fairly large city. A few shops turned me away. I finally found a shop to do it. They opened it up and then put it back together and sent me home. I took it to an expensive Mercedes dealer who claimed they could do it. They couldn't get it right. This thread is about informing people on what to expect and I fully expect that more people than not will have trouble getting a lowered model 3 aligned. It's doable but it's a hassle. Just one more headache to add to the list of things when trying to lower this car. It may be different in places like SoCal.

• Informative
Reactions: canasion35
I empathize with your headaches around alignment but we've been able to find a couple of really first-rate shops in our area. I suspect Mountain Pass performance knows installers and alignment shops in a lot of area so if you reach out to Jesse you might get a recommendation. And their coilover kits are for sure the cure for the stock suspension. Isn't Western PA also the home of the Killer pothole? I bent a couple of rims coming back from Florida through pennsylvania, hitting a pothole about the size of milwaukee. I have PTSD like experiences now driving in PA after that!

Last edited:
It's also a case of you don't know what you don't know. I'd guess that if you went with MPP comforts you'd notice it a little bit, but after a month or two, if you went back to stock, you'd instantly know just how crappy the stock setup is.
Very true about you don't know what you don't know. I'm guessing you are right about noticing some improvement with MPP Comfort coilovers but the question each person needs to ask themselves is whether the ride quality difference is worth the money. For sure some say yes and some may say no depending on very individual circumstances. Having come from owning quite a few different cars and always modifying their suspensions, I can't justify paying more for a coilover set-up under my current contentment with the setup I have. The other thing is that QC on these cars is not the best so I am fairly sure some people will get factory shocks that are crap from the start and some might get better ones. The ones getting the crap will notice way more of a difference for any coilover upgrade as they are replacing a poor QC's shock.
Completely agree. If someone is not tracking their car and street use only but want a cosmetic upgrade without ruining the stock ride, then springs could be a good solution. Why pay $2k when springs will meet your needs.

My 1+ inch lowering actually have not really impacted tire wear too much. At 35000 miles I have exactly 50% tread wear which doesn't seem too bad.

Reactions: BobbyM3