Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD history concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, thanks for advice...

I am to pick up the car in 2 days. Only paid $2500 so far. I received the MVPA which describes the vehicle as "New - Previous service/demo vehicle" built in 2018, odometer 50. I thought I was buying a 2019 but am willing to be OK with it.

So, is there a hardware difference between this car and current production? Other differences? Should I be concerned about the "demo/service" notation? Tips for when I see it?

Thanks a LOT for any links or advice, it is greatly appreciated!

Hi folks, thanks for advice...

I am to pick up the car in 2 days. Only paid $2500 so far. I received the MVPA which describes the vehicle as "New - Previous service/demo vehicle" built in 2018, odometer 50. I thought I was buying a 2019 but am willing to be OK with it.

So, is there a hardware difference between this car and current production? Other differences? Should I be concerned about the "demo/service" notation? Tips for when I see it?

Thanks a LOT for any links or advice, it is greatly appreciated!

I would be concerned by both the "demo/service" and 2018 build date. I suggest calling and saying you want a 2019 build. Worst case, you can try rescheduling the delivery to something over a week out and then they put your current vin back in the "available" pool for someone else. They'll reassign something else to you closer to your preferred delivery date. My delivery agent said this is how vin assignments works.

If you are paying for new, why accept a demo car? "Demo/service" could mean a customer return because there aren't that many Model 3 demos or service loaners. I think it's unacceptable they assigned this car to you instead of asking if you would consider it for a discount.

On 19 February 2019, Tesla had 11,000 unsold Model 3s in stock. These were mostly 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. See the list here. Your car should be on this list too. To me, this sounds like the store is trying to clear the cars they have assigned to them because they were told everything must go before the end of the quarter.

Last edited:
I walked in and bought a 2018 LR AWD drive yesterday, was built in Dec and had under 10 miles. Also noted that it was "demo/service" but I got $3650 off. So ask for a discount and if not discount tell them you can wait for a 2019. No difference in the cars.

If you are paying for new, why accept a demo car? "Demo/service" could mean a customer return because there aren't that many Model 3 demos or service loaners. I think it's unacceptable they assigned this car to you instead of asking if you would consider it for a discount.

On 19 February 2019, Tesla had 11,000 unsold Model 3s in stock. These were mostly 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. See the list here. Your car should be on this list too. To me, this sounds like the store is trying to clear the cars they have assigned to them because they were told everything must go before the end of the quarter.

Thanks a lot for that list, my car is on it with 15 miles.

For those that say there is no difference between 2018 and 2019, here is what I got from the Vegas delivery guy via email:

“I would have to reach out to your Owner advisor on that why you are assigned the demo/ Service car. And for your other question about 2018 and 2019 the only reason everyone wants the 2019 because it has the new hardware and better resale value.”

Sure would appreciate any info, thanks.

I agree with @82bert on what he said. Tesla made x amount of Model 3 AWDs to have on hand for sale during early part of 2019 while they then focused production on cars produced for Europe and China. If they didn't, they'd have no cars available locally. Tesla doesn't do model year changes like legacy car manufacturers and I'm also not aware of any recent hardware changes. There have been software upgrades like Sentry Mode etc. but those you'd get regardless. If you want to keep waiting at some point they will start putting in HW3 but don't think that's happened yet. When to jump in is always an unknown. If you buy AP and FSD you'll get an update to HW3 hardware anyway if not installed. If you are not interested in those features not sure how much it will matter anyway.

Every car sold has 50 miles on their MVPA regardless if it's less. My car I believe had something like 6-10. For a car to be listed as demo with such low mileage, it probably was a display car. While car prices are currently still reduced, we know they are going to be going up again by something like 3% what now on Wednesday or Thursday. If you wait too long you might lose out on the current level of Federal Tax credit. Weigh what is important for you. I will say that I have a 9/2018 build car that I bought in September and enjoy driving it. Don't think I would enjoy waiting and driving a March or April? 2019 any better.

Last edited: