Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scope of HW2.5 to HW3 Upgrade for M3 LR (Feb 2019 Build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Motors Club members,

I've been searching through the forum for information on upgrading from HW2.5 to HW3.0 for my Tesla Model 3 (Feb 2019 build), but I haven't found a definitive answer—apologies if I missed available information. I understand that the cameras and sensors used with HW2.5 are compatible with HW3. Furthermore, I have been informed by local Tesla Service Center that should the HW2.5 computer fail, it would be automatically replaced with HW3.0.

The Service Center assured me that all current HW2.5 features would be retained post-upgrade but did not promise any new features, as they cannot officially sell this as an upgrade per their sales policy. If I were to purchase the Full Self-Driving (FSD) package, priced at €7500, the upgrade to HW3.0 would be included. However, Tesla Service Center has not confirmed which, if any, additional components might be updated with the FSD package.

From my understanding, the upgrade involves only the AP computer to HW3.0, with no other hardware changes. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case? Additionally, I am interested in knowing what other concrete benefits (like adaptive matrix lights (yes, I retrofitted matrix lights already), enhanced Sentry view in the mobile app, or cabin camera view in Dog Mode) might be expected through the enhanced processing capabilities of the HW3.0 computer? I am not planning to upgrade to FSD or EAP, but features such as adaptive matrix lights are of particular interest to me.

Your insights would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've undergone a similar upgrade.

Thank you!

In 2019, Tesla upgraded the AP computer on our US 2018 Model 3 to HW3 after we bought FSD. They didn’t upgrade anything else. I don’t know that HW3 gets you any additional fnon-AP eatures you don’t already have.

The only thing I would say that we got with HW 3.0 that wasnt there with HW 2.5 was an enhanced version of the "driving view" cartoon on the left side of the display. There isnt anything else that is coming with it.

In the US I know owners with EAP or AP of 2018 cars were allowed to pay 1k USD to upgrade to HW3 for the FSD subscription. The cameras on HW2.5 cars should be enough to support FSD though I know of some individuals that asked tesla for the newer side cameras that don't block vision when the signals are on. If your running AP or EAP spending the extra money for HW3 upgrade honestly isn't worth it. That being said you will get some new animation and visualizations.