Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD recent range drop during summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 LR AWD and have noticed a fairly drastic recent range drop after a relatively long period of stability. The graph below is from the last 8 months from when I started graphing with teslamate. As you can see I was hovering around the 290 mark for a months until around 6/22 where I dropped off to around 275. This is during the summer in GA so cold is not a factor. I haven't been driving alot during Covid so this could be attributed to reporting errors in the BMS. When Covid started I set my charge limit to 50% but have recently moved it back up to 80% where I normally charge to. I'm wondering if I'm not charging high enough to let the BMS balance the battery and with only short runs during Covid I may not be allowing the car to do what it needs to do. Any ideas?

upload_2020-7-9_13-27-30.png

I have a 2018 LR AWD and have noticed a fairly drastic recent range drop after a relatively long period of stability. The graph below is from the last 8 months from when I started graphing with teslamate. As you can see I was hovering around the 290 mark for a months until around 6/22 where I dropped off to around 275. This is during the summer in GA so cold is not a factor. I haven't been driving alot during Covid so this could be attributed to reporting errors in the BMS. When Covid started I set my charge limit to 50% but have recently moved it back up to 80% where I normally charge to. I'm wondering if I'm not charging high enough to let the BMS balance the battery and with only short runs during Covid I may not be allowing the car to do what it needs to do. Any ideas?

View attachment 562470
When exactly did you switch to 50% and when to 80%? Cause, the stable period starts around Feb 14th and goes to almost June 22nd. As @Gasaraki said, you can try 90% for a couple weeks if you think there's a cell balancing issue, but you might also consider dropping it back to 50%, for a short period, and see what happens.

When exactly did you switch to 50% and when to 80%? Cause, the stable period starts around Feb 14th and goes to almost June 22nd. As @Gasaraki said, you can try 90% for a couple weeks if you think there's a cell balancing issue, but you might also consider dropping it back to 50%, for a short period, and see what happens.

Those are good questions. It wasn't quite as cut and dry when I changed to 50% but it was sometime around 2/15 around the start of COVID. I have a few charges during the period where I let it go back above 50%. My did set the max back to 80% right around 6/21 which does correspond pretty closely to where I saw the estimated range start dropping. I'm generally guessing there is something odd going on with the BMS or balancing because I don't think there is a good explanation for why the estimate started changing so rapidly. I will probably try as you suggested and either drop the charge back to 50% or up to 90% and see what happens over the next couple of weeks. I was just surprised that going back to my original charge limit would cause such a drastic change in the estimate. If only we knew the formula:)