Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a VIN or delivery date yet? I live in the same area and originally, I had the same car as you on order then a few days later I changed to a P3D+ thinking that they may make those first before the LR AWD cars. Then I heard there was going to be a newly minted batch of P3D- minus cars so I changed to one of those all in an effort to get whatever AWD would show up first. I am wondering if I made the right choice. Haha
I asked my SA about that yesterday and got a confused answer that indicated that he knew less about what was out there than I did. I'm beginning to believe that the management at the factory doesn't know what configurations are happening and the guys in the hinterlands are completely in the dark. It's like dealing with the CIA. Transparency is not allowed. I'm wondering if this system will survive once all the true believers have vehicles and they have to sell to the avaerage car buyer who isn't willing to wait for an unknown and unknowable period.

Reactions: diezel_dave
I asked my SA about that yesterday and got a confused answer that indicated that he knew less about what was out there than I did. I'm beginning to believe that the management at the factory doesn't know what configurations are happening and the guys in the hinterlands are completely in the dark. It's like dealing with the CIA. Transparency is not allowed. I'm wondering if this system will survive once all the true believers have vehicles and they have to sell to the avaerage car buyer who isn't willing to wait for an unknown and unknowable period.

Don’t confuse what Tesla management knows and SA ignorance. It’s more likely they just don’t tell them much/anything, or prohibit them from communicating relevant facts to customers.

Tesla knows how to build cars. -Of course- factory management will know exactly the current and scheduled production.

Do you have a VIN or delivery date yet? I live in the same area and originally, I had the same car as you on order then a few days later I changed to a P3D+ thinking that they may make those first before the LR AWD cars. Then I heard there was going to be a newly minted batch of P3D- minus cars so I changed to one of those all in an effort to get whatever AWD would show up first. I am wondering if I made the right choice. Haha

No VIN, not even in the source code, and no delivery date. I do get a text once a week from my SA to update me on the fact that they don't have a VIN yet or know how much longer it'll be.

Don’t confuse what Tesla management knows and SA ignorance. It’s more likely they just don’t tell them much/anything, or prohibit them from communicating relevant facts to customers.

Tesla knows how to build cars. -Of course- factory management will know exactly the current and scheduled production.
I agree about current production although they are still stuck with responding to short term demand rather than a long term planned inventory system so things probably change faster than manufacturing management would like. I also believe the SAs are true mushrooms which is unfortunate since that is the only visibility the customer gets. As to Tesla knows how to build cars, that is true at some level but certainly not at the high end German or Lexus level.

tesla is a groundbreaking company .. it took tesla to wake up other manufacturers that consumers want innovative features int heir cars, they want ev, and they want them be compelling.

-- waiting sucks .. my last car though was delayed by months, it was a custom order mini cooper s .. and it got stuck in customs because MINI screwed up the EPA paperwork and they had re-apply for permission to import.

but it dont remember being so anxious.. -- and MINI did very little to communicate about the state of the car. (other than an email that said my car was in customs and no ETA on when it would be out).

so i guess this is not that big of a deal in the car industry .. and we should just suck it up, and be happy that one day we'll have a really great car.

-- i plan on buying more tesla later, so i hope more factories aroound the world mean shorter wait times in the future. (who am i kidding though, my next car is a model-y which is going to be a *sugar* show too)

It's like dealing with the CIA. Transparency is not allowed.

That's a good one! Made my day. I think it's safe to assume with Tesla that you really don't know what's going to happen until it does.

If I were to guess (and only a guess), we will start hearing about LR AWD cars in the 1st or 2nd week of December. I don't think we can even be sure that production is 100% N. American right now. If lots of N. American Tesla's (or rather Model 3's) were being produced, we hear some stories on this board. Actually a lot of them. 5000+ a week is a lot of cars to hit the fan. But I am confident that they will be all delivered by end of year - at least those ordered through November.

Actual cars are (mostly) SR/SR+ still. And not a whole lot of those. When the rest of the cars come flying out the doors, we'll see enough to book up delivery centers for multiple back to back 10-15 minute appointments. That's what the SA's seem to be planning for.

So it's not VIN numbers or assignment that will be telling, but what people see when picking up their car. If it's a madhouse - then it's time!

This isn't Ford, Audi, Renault or Toyota, manufacturing behemoths with massive assets, longtail supply chains and continuous manufacturing processes that crank mlm out established inventories with sales that can be predicted within a broad margin

Thia is a disruptive startup, running lean batch manufacturing for their first mass market vehicles, seeking to adjust production to an emergent market demand. They don't have dealership networks or and ability to lard up their balance sheet with inventory.
They are not only building the plane as it flies-- they are building something that will soon displace planes as it flies.
They can't even follow known manufacturing disciplines because they don't have enough QA data to be meaningful.
It is awesome.
It's inevitable that we have expectations based on other buying experiences. I've spent professional life in and around startups and I can't believe what they are achieving.
My bet is that they'll be.a whole lot better at this is two or three years, and legacy auto manufacturers will wonder what happened.
Still, I wish I knew if our MDSM LR AWD premium b/w is going to arrive by Xmas.

Reactions: rjsully04
So this might get a lot of hate sent my way but I ordered white with black interior, no FSD, aero wheels on 11/24. I was randomly through out yesterday and today refreshing the new inventory in my area (within 200 miles) and found an MSM with sport rims. I immediately called my SA and had then claim the VIN and now looking at possible next week delivery. Still waiting on loan and trade in to go through. So excited!!!

Side note, anyone else who is trading in a vehicle that you still owe on, how long did the process take? I got an appraisal done by carmax within an hour, they were going to give me 1k less, so still sticking with Tesla but seems that they are swamped right now(understandably so) so I’m just waiting patiently.

So this might get a lot of hate sent my way but I ordered white with black interior, no FSD, aero wheels on 11/24. I was randomly through out yesterday and today refreshing the new inventory in my area (within 200 miles) and found an MSM with sport rims. I immediately called my SA and had then claim the VIN and now looking at possible next week delivery. Still waiting on loan and trade in to go through. So excited!!!

Side note, anyone else who is trading in a vehicle that you still owe on, how long did the process take? I got an appraisal done by carmax within an hour, they were going to give me 1k less, so still sticking with Tesla but seems that they are swamped right now(understandably so) so I’m just waiting patiently.

no hate -- excited that you found a way to fill your order.

i have a strict budger that i'm sticking to .. so no upgrade on paint on wheels allowed.

I just got an invite to orientation as well, Marina. Don't know if I'm attending..

I went to the Orientation last weekend in Fremont. When I got there, there was a line to get in - like a block long. It took about 15 minutes to check-in. After check-in, the Tesla representative told me I could go inside and listen to the presentation for their cars, solar panels, and battery wall.

I listened to the car presentation for about 5 minutes. It was very very basic. Almost like a sales pitch for buying the car. They tell you how it doesn't use a key, how it has adaptive cruise control, and if you purchase FSD, it has a feature that will summon your car... Really.. If you are in these forums, you will not learn anything new from the presentation.

After the presentation, they had a Q&A, then told everyone to get in line to have their files reviewed by SA's to ensure everything was in order. After another (15) minutes of waiting, I got to the podium and they asked for my reservation number. After giving it, they said, "Oh, it looks like you did everything on-line already. You are all set. We will contact you by text message when you have been matched with a VIN."

I'm not saying don't go to the orientation, but it really isn't necessary if you have filled everything out online that you are supposed to. (It's not like you get bumped up in line to get a VIN assignment just because you attended.) They had gourmet food trucks (not free) at the location, which I love and it was neat to see all of the Tesla models on display. Just don't want you to have super high expectations about what you are going to.... at least in the Bay Area.

I'm still waiting for a VIN assignment like everyone else. It will get here when it gets here... I placed my order on 10/11, MSM, 19" Wheels, Black Interior. I'm hoping before Christmas!

Saw this by Tesla plant in Fremont, wish mine is on there!!

Attachments

• 74CFA570-702E-4441-BF7C-35577809747E.jpeg
    74CFA570-702E-4441-BF7C-35577809747E.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 67