Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Proof Cubby Drawer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a center console cubby drawer on Amazon for $26 and it fits perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079D2J2WC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only problem is that Ludicrous Mode also launches the cubby drawer... Has anyone found a solution to make a cubby drawer such as this stay in and not launch backwards with the car?

I'm thinking I should perhaps stick a magnet to the end of the cavity and then have a corresponding one inside the drawer. Anyone found a suitable sticky magnet set for this purpose or some other solution?

I bought a center console cubby drawer on Amazon for $26 and it fits perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079D2J2WC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only problem is that Ludicrous Mode also launches the cubby drawer... Has anyone found a solution to make a cubby drawer such as this stay in and not launch backwards with the car?

I'm thinking I should perhaps stick a magnet to the end of the cavity and then have a corresponding one inside the drawer. Anyone found a suitable sticky magnet set for this purpose or some other solution?

I was going to suggest the magnet when I started reading your question. I’m not sure what is in the back to attach to, I don’t have a drawer. But 3m double sided tape would be more than adequate as long as there is somewhere to attach it.

EDIT: or ever hot glue would probably even be enough..

This is the one you want...
Cubby Drawer with Molded Carbon Fiber Front $69 (with 20% off)

This is shaped in a way that gently wedges the drawer in the shelf. It's very secure and we'll built.

Wish it had two separate compartments like the Amazon one so there is a separate felt lined area for your sunglasses to be stored without getting scratched and a larger felt line area for everything else. Thanks for the recommendation though. Although I'm not a fan of carbon fiber, it's great that they offer many other trims.

After 4 months, I am still looking for a solution to Ludicrous proof my cubby drawer. I was planning to put a sticky magnet on the drawer and the sides of the compartment but with the MCU and other electronics I sometimes put in the cubby drawer, I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Otherwise this cubby drawer works so well and it is an inexpensive way to add some much needed and easily accessible storage space and I like that it has two separate felt lined compartments inside. Just not so great when the drawer goes flying inside the car if I launch in Ludicrous Mode.

Has anyone figured out a way to keep a cubby drawer from launching with the car? :D

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
They all look cheap and not OEM so I’ve never bit. I just don’t use the cubby, it’s annoying, accelerating sharply throws anything back. If there is an OEM-quality solution I’d buy.

I honestly found the black hole under the MCU more annoying to look at and that space was useless because anything you put in there would launch out of it if you accelerate. The biggest reason I bought this specific cubby drawer is because it's the least fussy drawer I could find. It's just plain simple black with no knob or other decorations and I liked the fact that it is felt lined to prevent things rattling in there and it is divided into two separate sections with a felt lined area for your sunglasses..

Just need to figure out a way to prevent it from launching with the car!

Last edited:
I use this, haven't had it shoot out yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VNMPG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And i always drive on ludicrous but not ludi plus, and occasionally will have a lead foot each signal light to signal light.

Oh what do you have in your cubby?
If you have something heavy, then there is no cubby holder that will not shoot out, as you can never win in a game against physics.

Nothing crazy. Post it notes, a pen, felt tip market, mints, USB cable for TeslaCam, EV charger cards, stuff like that that I need to access quickly. I'm going to see if I can attach some felt liners to the sides and underside, as suggested by @SDRick and see if I can get it to stay put.