Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple of alternatives out there, all depends on the use case (stock wheels, must fit under stock cap/aero cover compatible, aftermarket wheels and need for narrow/tuner lugs, etc).

If an OE-like open ended short stubby lug nut fits the bill, grab a few sets of these and then each of the 5 per wheel becomes a lock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMH52W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_YmnkG4EqkzEKz (they also come in black, slightly different part number)

If you order a bunch more and experiment, you will find 20 (5 kits of 4) that can use the same key if you prefer one... or mix and match as you like (2 keys, one per side, 4 keys, one per wheel).

Thanks. Not interested in wheel locks at all. Just simple lug nuts that are solid one piece (I.e., no plastic cap).

My wheels are the Tsportline TS5 in black. I don’t track the car, though may try an Autocross or two in the future.

Pic of the wheel (currently with stock lug nuts and plastic caps):

EA4EBB3A-E84C-4EC1-9798-A1287FA99B3E.jpeg

There are a few other options out there for you then including the inexpensive home-brew titanium short stubs advertized on here in recent days, weeks.

Or perhaps better yet, the tried and true McGardSplineDrive lugs. These would also fit the bill. Come in black with a few advantages over OE socket style lugs.

Good luck with the hunt.

Reactions: f308gt4
So, I ordered the lug nuts I linked to on Amazon in my OP, and they came today (yay for Amazon next day shipping). I figure if they suck, should be easy enough to return.

There werent many reviews, but overall were positive. One mentioned paint chipping. I was able to install without chipping, and I even accidentally dropped one onto the garage floor and it was fine. Torqued to 129 ft-lbs per manual. Used a regular 22mm socket (OEM nuts use a 21mm socket). No special tools required to install or remove which is good.

I’ll be curious to see how they last over time with regard to chipping or even rusting. But for now, they seem good enough and are better than the cheap plastic caps over the OEM nuts. I’ll recheck the torque in a week to make sure nothing came loose.

08C0BB38-F9E3-4E9F-AA68-581F13C2219E.jpeg
3882BB35-2E43-4BFE-BEEC-D6CC9E7146FD.jpeg

Reactions: Perscitus
So, I ordered the lug nuts I linked to on Amazon in my OP, and they came today (yay for Amazon next day shipping). I figure if they suck, should be easy enough to return.

There werent many reviews, but overall were positive. One mentioned paint chipping. I was able to install without chipping, and I even accidentally dropped one onto the garage floor and it was fine. Torqued to 129 ft-lbs per manual. Used a regular 22mm socket (OEM nuts use a 21mm socket). No special tools required to install or remove which is good.

I’ll be curious to see how they last over time with regard to chipping or even rusting. But for now, they seem good enough and are better than the cheap plastic caps over the OEM nuts. I’ll recheck the torque in a week to make sure nothing came loose.

View attachment 669644View attachment 669645
Those satin black wheels are a pita to keep swirl free and clean. Don’t use compound on them like I did or it creates a shiny sheen on the spokes. If you ever needed to repaint your wheels I know the perfect can of paint for this color (satin black). Also smart of you to use that socket from marring the paint around the lug nuts which happen to me SMH.