Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$89 Tera Level 2 Charger on Amazon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother has one of these he uses for his Kia Niro, I borrowed it when we first got our MY, and It worked surprisingly well, especially for the price. Even comes with the NACS adapter, I used it with the 120v plug the first day but had plugged in 240v until my Tesla Wall connector was installed. It worked so well that I still have a bit buyers remorse over the Tesla Wall connector.

Anyways anyone needing a cheap portable charger that can even be mounted and comes with a carrying bag this seems to be a good deal.

Tera Level 1 +2 EV Charger

charger.png

It includes a J1772/NACS adapter, which would be $50 all by itself at Tesla.

Notably, I'm seeing a price of $99 if I search for "Tera Electric Vehicle Charger", but if I then sort by price I see the same item for $89 and the $99 version disappears.

Buy one, send it to me and I’ll do a teardown. 🤣
I thought about doing that myself, actually. Trouble is that I'm a embedded software guy. While I'm good with schematics from a "Let me write the software to make this work" and "let's probe here to see if the bits are getting through at the right data rate" point of view, I'm not quite enough of a hardware engineer to really evaluate it properly.

For the price I'm going to give it a shot. The listing and a review indicate the unit and cord are UL and ETL listed so it should at least meet some minimum safety standards. I'm not sure these wall adapters are anything more than remote power switches that communicate with the car. The AC charger built into the car handles all the actual control, conversion and charging.

Color me skeptical that this device has any quality to it. I'd love to see a teardown by someone knowledgeable.

My brother got his in November and uses it daily to charge his Niro, he also already had a more expensive charger that he now uses for his wife's Ioniq but says this one seems just as good just 32 amp vs 48amp, which for most of the time is plenty. He also doesn't have a garage so it's held up to the weather also.

1710616735630.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
I'm not sure these wall adapters are anything more than remote power switches that communicate with the car.

Good EVSEs have temperature monitoring. The Tesla mobile connector for instance has temperature sensors in the wall end connect, right at the plug that goes in the wall.

The gist of what you're saying is correct - there's no significant power electronics in the EVSE.

Reactions: MP3Mike
lets get accurate on this, find @
dont want to knock it down, but lets keep our eyes wide open
$160, 32Amp max, plug in only, American flag on the product is slick (hope no one is that stupid)
"the customer support number was useless"
mostly good review, if you choose, scrutinize and good luck
American flag is only on the wall mount, charger it self is just white.

While I think it’s a good charger I wouldn’t pay more than $160 for it. At $89 it was a great buy.

Reactions: PA_EV_New
Just picked up a new MYP yeaterday and ordered a mobile connector which showed wasn’t arriving vehicle pickup. I ended up ordering this Amazon one at about $160 to hopefully get me a few days of usage without going to a Supercharger. Somehow it’s charging at 32amps going from the 14-50 plug to an adapter to 14-30

Just picked up a new MYP yeaterday and ordered a mobile connector which showed wasn’t arriving vehicle pickup. I ended up ordering this Amazon one at about $160 to hopefully get me a few days of usage without going to a Supercharger. Somehow it’s charging at 32amps going from the 14-50 plug to an adapter to 14-30
You are overloading your circuit, 14-30 is rated for only 24A continuous. When you use an adapter from 14-50 to 14-30 it has no way to know you are plugging into a 14-30. For the Tesla one, if you use the official 14-30 adapter it would know to toggle down the limit automatically.