Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$89 Tera Level 2 Charger on Amazon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the price I'm going to give it a shot. The listing and a review indicate the unit and cord are UL and ETL listed so it should at least meet some minimum safety standards. I'm not sure these wall adapters are anything more than remote power switches that communicate with the car. The AC charger built into the car handles all the actual control, conversion and charging.
I would bet that if you actually look this product up, it is not UL or ETL listed. Chinese products can 100% lie about this on Amazon with no repercussions. They can stamp the product and the cord, but it doesn't mean anything.

I guarantee you this is not approved or tested by any entity. Buyer beware - but these products usually do work just fine.

EDIT: I did some legwork and searched the UL numbers they provided on the Amazon page. These are not for any EVSE, they are for random electrical components, some that may not even be in this EVSE.

Looked up the ETL number - "0 Results found"

So.... yeah. Seems like a scam, unless someone else knows more than me about these certifications and they're somehow legit. It looks like they just used random numbers on the product listing to fool everyone.

Last edited:
I would bet that if you actually look this product up, it is not UL or ETL listed. Chinese products can 100% lie about this on Amazon with no repercussions. They can stamp the product and the cord, but it doesn't mean anything.

I guarantee you this is not approved or tested by any entity. Buyer beware - but these products usually do work just fine.

EDIT: I did some legwork and searched the UL numbers they provided on the Amazon page. These are not for any EVSE, they are for random electrical components, some that may not even be in this EVSE.

Looked up the ETL number - "0 Results found"

So.... yeah. Seems like a scam, unless someone else knows more than me about these certifications and they're somehow legit. It looks like they just used random numbers on the product listing to fool everyone.

It appears the ETL listing is legit, here is a reddit post with someone's research on this unit:

However, the UL part seems to be more of a confirmation through ETL that it meets UL standards rather being tested directly by UL itself.

Reactions: PA_EV_New
Somehow it’s charging at 32amps going from the 14-50 plug to an adapter to 14-30
I thought maybe it was due to me having a 50amp circuit breaker for that box.
Wait a sec. Are you saying this is a single line that has a 50A breaker and then goes to an endpoint that is a 14-30 receptacle in the wall? If so, that is a code violation that needs to be corrected. Code says that the breaker must never be higher than the rating of the outlet type. So something needs to be changed one way or the other, and that would depend on what type and gauge of wire it's using too.

Wait a sec. Are you saying this is a single line that has a 50A breaker and then goes to an endpoint that is a 14-30 receptacle in the wall? If so, that is a code violation that needs to be corrected. Code says that the breaker must never be higher than the rating of the outlet type. So something needs to be changed one way or the other, and that would depend on what type and gauge of wire it's using too.
Sorry for this. I double checked and it was a 30amp breaker for my l14-30. For some reason it was in my head that it was a 50amp breaker until I went to box and double checked

Reactions: Rocky_H
I found it on Amazon for 89$ + tax. It's good if you already have a dryer (30 Amp) outlet for plugging in.
Note that it only charge at 16A max (3.8kW). My M3 with 57kwh battery capacity would take 15 hours to charge to full starting from near 0%.
Could be good to charge half a night, repeat again the following night to get a full charge.
The good part is PORTABLE.

My brother got his in November and uses it daily to charge his Niro, he also already had a more expensive charger that he now uses for his wife's Ioniq but says this one seems just as good just 32 amp vs 48amp, which for most of the time is plenty. He also doesn't have a garage so it's held up to the weather also.

View attachment 1028678
Safe and reliable! It says so right in the ad, just like Honest Bob’s Used Cars.