Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luggage shelf Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody installed this:

This is the one I see at most aftermarket accessory sites. Personally I'm not a fan of this one, as it uses brackets that are adhered (and overlapped) on interior panels. If the brackets didn't overlap the interior panels I would have less of an issue with it. It would be ideal for someone to make interior panel replacements with the bracket molded into it (mainly like they do on most other cars).

Oh, that's new (to me). Previously I was only aware of this 3rd party option Model Y, which is discussed fairly extensively starting approx here in this thread: Rear hatch privacy cover.

That one you've found looks quite interesting as well!
That ModelYShelf is interesting due to it incorporating non-permanent hooks held on by the seat., definitely haven't seen this one yet.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have installed this on mine. Looks good and functions well. It looks OEM except the anchors are glued-on to the existing panels which will make it difficult to removed if you ever need to undo the interior trim in the trunk. Crossing fingers I don't have to do that. I am sure this version will improve as the time goes on.

I recently purchased the BASENOR brand cargo cover for the Model Y. These cargo covers, sold under different brand names, all appear to come from the same overseas factory. I purchased mine off of Amazon, there was a $10 Off coupon and free shipping.

Amazon.com: BASENOR Tesla Model Y Retractable Cargo Cover Rear Trunk Shield Privacy Cover 2021 2020 (No Drilling Required): Automotive

The BASENOR cargo cover for the Tesla Model Y is a useful accessory. The cargo cover arrived quickly. Installation is easy but take the time to watch the BASENOR video on Youtube.

The appearance of the cargo cover could be improved by using black anodized pop rivets (hidden fasteners) to secure end caps of the roller mechanism instead of plain aluminum pop rivets (these look cheap.)

There is no instruction sheet so do take the time to view the BASENOR installation video.

The following items helped me when installing the cargo cover mounting brackets:

Blue painters masking tape (used to mark the outline of each bracket once it is in the correct position.) When you do install the bracket you don't want to be figuring out the final alignment and positioning while the adhesive foam tape is gripping the interior panel of the vehicle.

Isopropyl alcohol and a clean rag - used to wipe off the area of the vehicle's interior panels where the mounting bracket will be installed. The alcohol removes any oils, contaminants from the surface of the panel to help the adhesive foam tape bond with the panel.

A small hand tool with a round ended handle such as a dry wall compound tool - I wrapped the round end of the tool in a clean rag, used the handle end of the tool to firmly press the bracket into place so that the adhesive tape is fully pressed against the vehicle panel. The rag will ensure that the tool leaves no marks on the outside surface of the mounting bracket. (If the adhesive tape is not fully contacting the vehicle panel you will hear a tick or click as you press the mounting bracket against the vehicle panel. Press firmly using the tool in any area where you hear a tick or click until you don't hear the sound.)

Binder clips (1 or 2 medium sized clips) - Can be any small spring clips; the clips are useful for holding the second row outboard seat belt out of the way while preparing, installing the front mounting brackets that support the cargo cover roller mechanism.

Tweezers - Useful for peeling back the edge of the protective film on each section of the double sided foam adhesive tape on the back of each mounting bracket.

3M Adhesion Promotor (Optional) - You can find this product on Amazon. BASENOR should have included at least two to three packets of the 3M Adhesion Promotor with the cargo cover. This product is applied using a foam applicator pad just prior to installing each mounting bracket. The 3M Adhesion Promotor prepares the surface of the vehicle's interior trim panel for bonding with the foam adhesive tape, improves the grip and performance of the adhesive. The 3M Adhesion Promotor should only be applied when the temperature of the surface being prepared is between 60F(15.5C) and 80F(26.5C). (I would not have known about the Adhesion Promotor except I watched a competitor's cargo cover installation video. The Adhesion Promotor is mentioned under trouble shooting at the end the video. I ordered a small quantity of the 3M Adhesion Promotor packets (3), ended up using (2.) This product is highly volatile, dries quickly in under 2 minutes. Peel the backing from the adhesive tape and install the mounting bracket as soon as the Adhesion Promotor has dried, not more than 1 hour.)

Amazon.com: 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter, 3 Sponge Applicators: Industrial & Scientific

One of the reasons I decided to use the 3M Adhesion Promotor is the spring tension on the cargo cover shade seemed a little too strong (to me anyway.) I was concerned that the spring tension on the cargo cover shade might cause the rear mounting brackets to pull away from the side panels of the vehicle. I did not feel like disassembling the cargo cover roller mechanism and figuring out how to loosen the spring.

When In use the BASENOR cargo cover is not visible from the Model Y driver's seat when looking in the rear view mirror. The cover is at a height of 16.5" above the cargo floor. You can only deploy the cargo cover when carrying suitcases, back packs, etc. not taller than about 16.5 inches. ( I do have a cargo liner in my Model Y that is probably 1/2" thick.) Without the cargo area liner items up to about 17" tall would fit under the cargo cover.

Last edited:
Wanted to add that if you don't want to leave the cargo cover in the Model Y all of the time or if you need to use the full cargo space with the second row seats folded down the BASNEOR cargo cover roller mechanism can be removed in seconds by lifting the mechanism out of the mounting brackets. The roller mechanism weighs ~5 lbs.

The BASENOR cargo cover for the Model Y will only fit Model Y vehicles with 5 passenger seating, is not compatible with Model Y vehicles with the optional 3rd row seating.

Last edited:
Wanted to add that if you don't want to leave the cargo cover in the Model Y all of the time or if you need to use the full cargo space with the second row seats folded down the BASNEOR cargo cover roller mechanism can be removed in seconds by lifting the mechanism out of the mounting brackets. The roller mechanism weighs ~5 lbs.

The BASENOR cargo cover for the Model Y will only fit Model Y vehicles with 5 passenger seating, is not compatible with Model Y vehicles with the optional 3rd row seating.
I got the one from RPMtesla which fits just fine in my seven seater. You just have to remove the roller mechanism if you want to sit anybody in the back row. Since the third row is only rarely used, it’s not much of an issue

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe