Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Parcel Shelf Official Retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In early 2023, some videos surfaced from a few Model Y owners who were able to get Tesla service to install the parcel shelf in their older Model Y's. Some of the repair techs were figuring it out on the fly with no official training on it. When others, including myself, contacted Tesla service, we were told Tesla isn't officially offering a retrofit yet even though the three part numbers were provided. My request was declined. Anyone else have luck with getting this retrofit?

People did a while ago. However many were declined parts as time passed. Might take a while for parts to be marked restricted in the database so that could explain it. From my own experience With retrofitting center console usb ports to support data, I could buy the part over the counter last year and this year the part was markEd restricted. tesla said they had to do the install for $160 although it takes 5 minutes And I can do it myself. In my case Tesla did the install for free (part was $20) since they didn’t tell me the part was restricted until I drove there after waiting 2 weeks for part to arrive.

Last edited:
Just a comment about the parcel shelf in my month old MYLR. When I did a demo back in May, I was impressed with the parcel shelf. I was able to put it in three separate positions and could fold it and remove it without issue. When I took delivery last month, it was a different shelf. It basically has one position and makes it difficult to place or remove items in the back without actually holding it up with one hand out of the way.

I've learned to pick up the front section out of the slots and slide it toward the front of the car, then reverse that procedure. That's awkward at best. Removing the shelf is even more difficult. My point is, I'm not sure I would consider adding the current shelf to a vehicle which doesn't already have it. JMO

Reactions: Bart404
Just a comment about the parcel shelf in my month old MYLR. When I did a demo back in May, I was impressed with the parcel shelf. I was able to put it in three separate positions and could fold it and remove it without issue. When I took delivery last month, it was a different shelf. It basically has one position and makes it difficult to place or remove items in the back without actually holding it up with one hand out of the way.

I've learned to pick up the front section out of the slots and slide it toward the front of the car, then reverse that procedure. That's awkward at best. Removing the shelf is even more difficult. My point is, I'm not sure I would consider adding the current shelf to a vehicle which doesn't already have it. JMO
Yes, the one I saw in the demo LR I drove in Houston was different than the one present in my delivery LR in November. I have a similar issue with it being somewhat difficult to put stuff underneath it, especially all the way at the back by the seats. The shelf part, however, is great. It adds a lot of useable space to the rear of the vehicle.

Yes, the one I saw in the demo LR I drove in Houston was different than the one present in my delivery LR in November. I have a similar issue with it being somewhat difficult to put stuff underneath it, especially all the way at the back by the seats. The shelf part, however, is great. It adds a lot of useable space to the rear of the vehicle.
My demo was in the Woodlands in May. I picked up at the new location in League City in November. Really disappointed with the new style shelf.

In early 2023, some videos surfaced from a few Model Y owners who were able to get Tesla service to install the parcel shelf in their older Model Y's. Some of the repair techs were figuring it out on the fly with no official training on it. When others, including myself, contacted Tesla service, we were told Tesla isn't officially offering a retrofit yet even though the three part numbers were provided. My request was declined. Anyone else have luck with getting this retrofit?
The Tesla parcel shelf is horrible. My wife & I both took it out. It rattles & the folding operation is terrible.