Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Buyer's Remorse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a MS for about 3 years now and have loved it; however, decided to take order of the M3. My main reasons was my MS was out of warranty, smaller battery, and only had AP1.

From everything I could see online, it received favorable reviews. However, now that I have it, I really wish I just kept the MS. Granted, I have only had the M3 for a day, the MS just seems so much nicer.

Any others coming from the MS to the M3 go through similiar feelings?
From purely a financial standpoint I think you made the right call. Your model 3 gonna depreciate by $15k tops over the next 3 years, you also have warranty etc.

To get to that figure I try to imagine what a used Fully loaded model 3 ($50k roughly OTD after tax incentives) would be worth in 3 years against a $35k base model 3 which comes pretty much with nothing. $15k depreciation assumes that your car will be worth as much as a brand new base car.

Back when I wanted to purchase an MS60 in 2016 I kept coming to a $35k depreciation cost over the next 3 years (15k miles a year). I don't think I was very far off. That assumed my $70K OTD MS would be worth $35k in summer 2019.

Other factor is that most parts of Florida offer comparatively few twisty roads.

I’m a Miami native, now living in LA. Favor M3 over MS (by a hair), but it would be the opposite back home.
I drive steep mountain hairpin curves every time I leave home and my Model S handles them really well — it shocks passengers and guest drivers who don't expect that from such a large heavy car. While I would expect the Model 3 to be more nimble, as everyone says, the implication that the Model S can't handle mountain twisties quite well, is just plain wrong IME.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I waited to pay off my S knowing that I might regret the purchase of the 3. I drove the 3 for a few days and enjoyed the more open interior and visibility, but missed the luxurious feeling of the S. I especially missed the seats in the S, which I still prefer. I decided that I was likely going to keep the S and flip the 3.

Then I drove the S for a couple of days to validate my feelings and I immediately missed the 3. I can't fully explain why, but I definitely prefer the 3 after driving them both for a while. My wife is now driving the S until we can sell it.

I would advise going back and forth between them for at least a week before you come to a firm conclusion.

lol, I really wanted to see if MS owners had the first inital response as I did. Sounds like @Ted Hadley has the right idea! I agree @xav- I do believe financially the M3 will make more sense than me continuing to hold onto the S.

Try buying a new Model S with the same range as your 3.. :)

Was being funny/sarcastic but looking at things even objectively:

It's an amazing deal. Remember anyone bitching about Model 3 PUP LR price vs a Leaf, Bolt, i3, etc places 0 value on aesthetics, performance, or the technological gadget wonderland that is a Tesla.

I'm currently on the fence.

Part of me wants to go ahead, and click the order now button for the 3. I know I'll enjoy the extra range, the sportiness, etc. I'll definitely enjoy the car payments being half as much (assuming I get a good deal for my S).

But, part of me knows I'll immensely miss some of what I really enjoyed about the S. I liked how it all feels when driving it, and the smoothness of it. I enjoy opening the sunroof on a nice day. I love the heated steering wheel on cold days.

It's a tough decision because my work commute is only like 10 miles, and none it is on the highway.

I do jaunts occasionally to Portland, and the 3's range would help out a lot for that. I wouldn't even need to supercharge assuming destination charging. I do enjoy supercharging, but I've grown REALLY bored of the Centralia supercharger.

I'm trying to hold off for the AWD Model 3, but I'm not sure I can.

The Model 3 fits what I want size, and cost wise. But, it's definitely not the spaceship style feeling of the S.

Reactions: MXWing
I'm currently on the fence.

Part of me wants to go ahead, and click the order now button for the 3. I know I'll enjoy the extra range, the sportiness, etc. I'll definitely enjoy the car payments being half as much (assuming I get a good deal for my S).

But, part of me knows I'll immensely miss some of what I really enjoyed about the S. I liked how it all feels when driving it, and the smoothness of it. I enjoy opening the sunroof on a nice day. I love the heated steering wheel on cold days.

It's a tough decision because my work commute is only like 10 miles, and none it is on the highway.

I do jaunts occasionally to Portland, and the 3's range would help out a lot for that. I wouldn't even need to supercharge assuming destination charging. I do enjoy supercharging, but I've grown REALLY bored of the Centralia supercharger.

I'm trying to hold off for the AWD Model 3, but I'm not sure I can.

The Model 3 fits what I want size, and cost wise. But, it's definitely not the spaceship style feeling of the S.

Arrange a drive of the 3 and then decide. But the best have your cake and eat it too scenario is:

Sell S
Get 3
Sell 3
Get S

I have had a MS for about 3 years now and have loved it; however, decided to take order of the M3. My main reasons was my MS was out of warranty, smaller battery, and only had AP1.

From everything I could see online, it received favorable reviews. However, now that I have it, I really wish I just kept the MS. Granted, I have only had the M3 for a day, the MS just seems so much nicer.

Any others coming from the MS to the M3 go through similiar feelings?
Everyone has their own personal preferences.
That said, not only did I not have buyers remorse, my wife liked my Model 3 so much she will be trading in her Model X for a Model 3.

Reactions: voltage
I am an S owner and a friend let me drive his model 3 on a couple of occasions to test drive and compare the two cars. My S is a 12/16 S75D uncorked. I am trying to decide whether to sell the S and go ahead and configure a 3 or pass on the 3. I really like the size of the 3 (I have owned BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class vehicles and an Audi TT and a Porsche 911 and a Porsche Boxter) it drives most like the 3 series BMW or Mercedes C. It is hard to describe how the S drives because the feel is definitely higher end (closer to the Geneisi I owned) but the handling is very very good. I would love to see a comparison between the 3 and the S driving through the twisty's. The S has less body lean and can take corners surprisingly fast for a bigger and heavier car. There really isn't a comparison in acceleration. The S is a lot faster and you can feel it. I read about the 30-70mph acceleration being very good in the 3 but after driving an S it doesn't feel that good. I didn't compare actual times so I can't say whether that feeling is valid or not. I still prefer having 2 (or 3) screens to only having one. It's sort of like having a 27" iMac versus a 21" iMac. Hard to make up for missing real estate. I would miss the power lift gate and the extra usable storage space and the real leather seats are more comfortable and nicer. The only fake leather that has ever been close to real leather is Mercedes MB-Tex. However, it is not as nice and supple. Why would I sell me S to buy a 3? For me the reasons would be cost, cut my monthly payments by $200 or more plus the tax savings and CA incentive, range, I like the idea of having 279 miles of range on a 90% charge versus 222 and it would be easier to park in my garage which is always a bit harrowing to make sure I don't hit something. My bigger concerns are the noise level of the 3 vs the S (I confirmed the difference using a sound meter @ 70mph S is average of 68db (A scale) and on the same stretch of road, same day traveling in the same direction 3 was 73db). You can definitely hear the difference in both wind noise and the tire noise transmitted to the interior of the vehicle. My S is 15 months old and no rattles, will the 3 be that way in 15 months? The ride with air suspension is really excellent. The 3's ride is harsher and on speed bumps you barely feel them on the S, I didn't drive over any with the 3 but my Bolt sends you flying as it goes over speed bumps the 3 will definitely not be as nice. I like having the sure footedness of AWD and until the 3 comes out with it that would concern me. On the other hand if the 3 with AWD and SAS adds $7,500 ($2,500 for SAS and $5K for second motor) to the price making it a $69K car with EAP, I would have to pass on AWD. Still pondering....if I wasn't retired it would be an easier decision.

I drive steep mountain hairpin curves every time I leave home and my Model S handles them really well — it shocks passengers and guest drivers who don't expect that from such a large heavy car. While I would expect the Model 3 to be more nimble, as everyone says, the implication that the Model S can't handle mountain twisties quite well, is just plain wrong IME.

We're actually in agreement here.

We do a lot of mountain driving around here, and I love the way that our Model S handles the twists.

However, I really, REALLY love the way that Model 3 handles them.

It's competence vs. exultation.

As, I said in my earlier post, my preference would be Model 3 ... by a hair.

S is an amazing mountain car.

I waited to pay off my S knowing that I might regret the purchase of the 3. I drove the 3 for a few days and enjoyed the more open interior and visibility, but missed the luxurious feeling of the S. I especially missed the seats in the S, which I still prefer. I decided that I was likely going to keep the S and flip the 3.

Then I drove the S for a couple of days to validate my feelings and I immediately missed the 3. I can't fully explain why, but I definitely prefer the 3 after driving them both for a while. My wife is now driving the S until we can sell it.

I would advise going back and forth between them for at least a week before you come to a firm conclusion.

Interesting.

My wife's conclusion is similar: We should keep one 3 and one S, rather than exercising our second 3 invite to take the place of our S.

If our S were a 100D (335-mile range) rather than a 3-year-old 85D (260-265), I would agree.

If we could buy a 100D, or better yet a 110D, for not much more than a 3LR AWD, I would agree.

But having the larger, luggage-swallowing, road trip car be shorter range and slower charging makes less sense.

Then again, whichever car I'm driving at the instant ... I love ... and couldn't imagine parting with!

I am an S owner and a friend let me drive his model 3 on a couple of occasions to test drive and compare the two cars. My S is a 12/16 S75D uncorked. I am trying to decide whether to sell the S and go ahead and configure a 3 or pass on the 3. I really like the size of the 3 (I have owned BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class vehicles and an Audi TT and a Porsche 911 and a Porsche Boxter) it drives most like the 3 series BMW or Mercedes C. It is hard to describe how the S drives because the feel is definitely higher end (closer to the Geneisi I owned) but the handling is very very good. I would love to see a comparison between the 3 and the S driving through the twisty's. The S has less body lean and can take corners surprisingly fast for a bigger and heavier car. There really isn't a comparison in acceleration. The S is a lot faster and you can feel it. I read about the 30-70mph acceleration being very good in the 3 but after driving an S it doesn't feel that good. I didn't compare actual times so I can't say whether that feeling is valid or not. I still prefer having 2 (or 3) screens to only having one. It's sort of like having a 27" iMac versus a 21" iMac. Hard to make up for missing real estate. I would miss the power lift gate and the extra usable storage space and the real leather seats are more comfortable and nicer. The only fake leather that has ever been close to real leather is Mercedes MB-Tex. However, it is not as nice and supple. Why would I sell me S to buy a 3? For me the reasons would be cost, cut my monthly payments by $200 or more plus the tax savings and CA incentive, range, I like the idea of having 279 miles of range on a 90% charge versus 222 and it would be easier to park in my garage which is always a bit harrowing to make sure I don't hit something. My bigger concerns are the noise level of the 3 vs the S (I confirmed the difference using a sound meter @ 70mph S is average of 68db (A scale) and on the same stretch of road, same day traveling in the same direction 3 was 73db). You can definitely hear the difference in both wind noise and the tire noise transmitted to the interior of the vehicle. My S is 15 months old and no rattles, will the 3 be that way in 15 months? The ride with air suspension is really excellent. The 3's ride is harsher and on speed bumps you barely feel them on the S, I didn't drive over any with the 3 but my Bolt sends you flying as it goes over speed bumps the 3 will definitely not be as nice. I like having the sure footedness of AWD and until the 3 comes out with it that would concern me. On the other hand if the 3 with AWD and SAS adds $7,500 ($2,500 for SAS and $5K for second motor) to the price making it a $69K car with EAP, I would have to pass on AWD. Still pondering....if I wasn't retired it would be an easier decision.

One potential tie-breaker thought:

Model 3 adds miles at Superchargers significantly faster.

15-20% less energy used per mile

equals

15-20% less charging time to add each mile
And, that's before considering that a Model 3 is longer range than an S75D and will thus add more miles before hitting the Supercharger taper.

We have an 85D that we've taken many times up to Mammoth. Our first trip with the 3 was half an hour faster in each direction. In fact, our return 300-mile trip required no charging stops (due to the downhill). The uphill leg only required 15-20 minutes in Lone Pine.