Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 LR AWD Loud Oil Pump When Precondtioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 M3 LR AWD just turned 100k miles, the oil pump is making a strange sound from the rear DU when it’s preconditioning on cold days (coldest we’ve had is 25˚F so far this year) I don’t remember it making that much noise or uneven noise last year. I’m not in a great spot to spend the diagnostic money if they’re just going to tell me it’s fine.. anyone have experience with this?

My 2018 M3 LR AWD just turned 100k miles, the oil pump is making a strange sound from the rear DU when it’s preconditioning on cold days (coldest we’ve had is 25˚F so far this year) I don’t remember it making that much noise or uneven noise last year. I’m not in a great spot to spend the diagnostic money if they’re just going to tell me it’s fine.. anyone have experience with this?

I'm also getting a buzzing from the rear of the car when I when I use the Schedule Departure Precondition function of the app. I have a UK, Model 3 (2023), Is it normal?

I'm also getting a buzzing from the rear of the car when I when I use the Schedule Departure Precondition function of the app. I have a UK, Model 3 (2023), Is it normal?
Buzzing is normal, it’s the pump functioning and the way that it generates heat, the uneven sound of the pump sounds like air being sucked into the pump to me.

Is that plugged in, or does the inverter make the waste heat to precondition? Could easily be some software change.

Normal sound when preconditioning the battery. What you hear is the coolant pump for the battery.
It stalls the motors to generate heat (the high pitch sound) and the pump that you hear is to pump the coolant around to move the heat generated from the motors into the battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun