Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 HW3 for FSD added after purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know now that recent new M3 production comes with with HW3. We also know that M3s bought with FSD will be upgraded to HW3 for free.

What about those that bought an M3 earlier before HW3 and without FSD, with the intent of adding FSD later. Does the add later price include a HW3 upgrade?

Do you recall where you saw this? Presumably an Elon tweet. The only ones I saw seemed to imply you had already had FSD.

I haven't seen it. Any other scenario simply wouldn't make sense. I know Tesla has its quirks but I personally am not worried about HW3 at all. What bothers me is the feeling that buying FSD is a gamble because of the volatile pricing and questionable delivery timelines. If they're going to require a hardware retrofit to deliver the features you purchase, they are definitely going to have to disclose that cost when you buy. So until Tesla states that at some point FSD buyers will have to purchase a hardware retrofit in order to have the features they purchase, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you're concerned you should definitely seek assurances from Tesla before you buy.

Do you recall where you saw this? Presumably an Elon tweet. The only ones I saw seemed to imply you had already had FSD.

In dozens of news stories.

In at least a dozen Elon tweets.

In the Q3 2018 Investor call transcript.

And literally on the page you order FSD with when ordering a new Tesla.

Plus, as mentioned, FSDs full feature set requires HW3, so they can't sell you that if the HW3 computer isn't included in the price.