Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR Battery Drain on Lockdown?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

McNulty

Sep 2, 2019
UK
Hi, I have a M3 LR that I picked up in August 2019. Totally happy with the car to this point. It's been sitting mostly idle in my drive for the last 6 weeks while the UK has been in lockdown.

I charge once a week to 80%, its not constantly plugged in as I don't have an external charging point. A couple of weeks ago it started to lose a lot of range each day - approx 15 miles per day.

It doesn't seem to be related to a particular software release, the car has updated twice since it has been idle (currently 2020.12.11.1), but the issue occurred a week after the first update and before the second. I'm not running sentry mode and the climate control is off. Last week I rebooted the car to make sure that there were no zombie processes running, this made no difference.

Anybody else experiencing this? Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

For what it is worth, our August 2019 LR AWD was last charged on 19th April. That charge was to 85% which gave an indicated range of 248 miles. Since then we have done 119 miles and the SOC has dropped to 23% or 65 miles. So over the course of nearly a month we have used a nominal 183 miles of range to do an actual 119 miles. That, I think, gives a slippage of 64 miles which equals about 2.37 miles per day. Some of this is down to my driving, so phantom losses pretty small

Hi, I have a M3 LR that I picked up in August 2019. Totally happy with the car to this point. It's been sitting mostly idle in my drive for the last 6 weeks while the UK has been in lockdown.

I charge once a week to 80%, its not constantly plugged in as I don't have an external charging point. A couple of weeks ago it started to lose a lot of range each day - approx 15 miles per day.

It doesn't seem to be related to a particular software release, the car has updated twice since it has been idle (currently 2020.12.11.1), but the issue occurred a week after the first update and before the second. I'm not running sentry mode and the climate control is off. Last week I rebooted the car to make sure that there were no zombie processes running, this made no difference.

Anybody else experiencing this? Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Do you have your phone in Bluetooth range of the car? Perhaps it's not going to deep sleep very often.

Parts of my house see my phone connect to the car (and of course my daily walk past it each day ). I get a few miles lost because of it.

If I turn Bluetooth off, I get zero phantom drain. 0 miles lost :)

• Informative
Reactions: Godsense