Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Since 2023.38.9 Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Long Range Y owner as of September. This week I noticed a battery drain that I haven't seen before. Yesterday we drove for less than 2 hours no faster than 55MPH with very little heating or AC (North Carolina climate) and the battery went from 75% to 45%. That's the second time this week I've seen the battery go down so quickly. Anybody else notice this since this update?

Thanks.

Usually when I read about "battery drain" on the forums, it refers to drain while the car is sitting. One reason this can happen, and likely the only reason, is that something continues to run when the car should be off and sleeping.

If you're talking about higher consumption while driving, that seems to me that any "drain" is likely related to physics while driving. This is because all of the systems in the car are already running.

That said, the car does have a way of running the motors inefficiently to generate heat for the battery... so I guess it's a possibility that the software could accidentally reduce efficiency while driving.

My guess is that most likely, you experienced a heavy headwind or perhaps you were driving slightly uphill. Was it raining? Is it a mountainous route?

The trip energy usage screen does a good job of explaining where the energy is going. Too late to look at it for that trip though.

Sorry for the terminology. The percentage loss was driving and not sitting. It was about 100 miles. It was drizzling for the trip but the terrain was pretty flat. This is actually the second time this week I've seen this battery drop while driving.
On the other hand, before the latest update, the car sat in the garage for 8 days and only lost 1%. Before this week the car was doing great and I usually charge about 3 times a week. I keep it between 75-40%. The longest trip was 3.5 hours from the dealer in Charlotte to home.

New Long Range Y owner as of September.
It was about 100 miles. It was drizzling for the trip but the terrain was pretty flat.
55MPH with very little heating or AC (North Carolina climate) and the battery went from 75% to 45%.

Yeah, sounds completely normal. Your car has an EPA rated range of 330 miles. The EPA rating is very optimistic, and measured under exacting circumstances (e.g. 45mph, zero wind / precipitation / elevation changes, optimal battery temp).

You drove 100 miles with 30% of your battery. Extrapolating that would actually give you exactly 330 miles with 100% of your battery... and you got that while driving 55mph with precipitation and while using heat.

If anything, it sounds like you got better than rated range. I'm in western NY and we're starting to get wintery weather... I'll be getting closer to 60% of rated range when it gets really cold outside. So if you lived next door to me, next month you'd be getting like 200 miles of range instead of 330.

Count your lucky stars. 😜

New Long Range Y owner as of September. This week I noticed a battery drain that I haven't seen before. Yesterday we drove for less than 2 hours no faster than 55MPH with very little heating or AC (North Carolina climate) and the battery went from 75% to 45%. That's the second time this week I've seen the battery go down so quickly. Anybody else notice this since this update?

Thanks.

This is not going to have anything to do with a vehicle update. If you have more drain now, that would be because its colder now than it was in september.

Reactions: father_of_6