Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon All,

I have been lurking on this forum sometime and found it interesting but have a few questions.

I am slowing changing my mind to EV and in fairness to Tesla they seem to check most of the boxes.

My current car is a Golf R (67 Plate) and don’t have too many issues but have been approached by a work colleague to see if I am interested to sell as his Honda Civic Type R is due to be replaced.

My questions are as follows

1. I live in Worthing in West Sussex, where will my collection point be?
2. I found the EV charging thread very useful, has anyone had the system installed by EDF?
3. Regarding charging can I schedule when to charge based on the rates offered by provider?
4. While I understand every scenario is unique to the car and individual but what is the mean mileage people are seeng on the M3P?
5. How long roughly is the lead-time from ordering to collection?
6. While this is a question I can answer, I pay £355 per month on PCP and £220 on fuel so the MP3 will be similar but am I mad in changing?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your help

Regards
Shaun

1. I live in Worthing in West Sussex, where will my collection point be?
2. I found the EV charging thread very useful, has anyone had the system installed by EDF?
3. Regarding charging can I schedule when to charge based on the rates offered by provider?
4. While I understand every scenario is unique to the car and individual but what is the mean mileage people are seeng on the M3P?
5. How long roughly is the lead-time from ordering to collection?
6. While this is a question I can answer, I pay £355 per month on PCP and £220 on fuel so the MP3 will be similar but am I mad in changing?

1. Heathrow most likely. You can choose, but seems closest to you.
2. No, but assuming you have a drive/ somewhere to install the charger then home charging isn’t really something to worry about. There are lots of options and with the grant you can get some installed for ~£350.
3. Yes but out of the box not when to stop charging currently. There are other apps that do let you schedule this (Teslafi seems to be the main one).
4. Don’t have real experience of this so others better placed to answer, but 230 - 240 miles seems a comfortable all round driving estimate.
5. Depends on your luck and the exact configuration you pick as Tesla don’t make to order. Could be within a month if you get very lucky, more likely 2 - 4 months (I ordered mid May and still waiting for confirmed delivery but lots coming through now).
6. I don’t think you will find many people here that will think you’re mad for changing! Look at the comments from people that have got their cars, some minor gripes but everyone loves the car. I’m buying a Tesla because after driving a Leaf I wouldn’t ever want to go back to an ICE, so coming in straight to a P3 I think you’ll be fine!

Reactions: Fullerene
Thanks @dazzleh, welcome aboard the crazy train @Tiptoe

my 2 cents

2. check out @Baldrick 's sheet EVSE Options , more options are turning up
3. Some chargers will do this for you (in fairness the charger is really in the car, the thing on the wall is the EVSE but we all know what we mean and we're not a bunch of pedants so it's all good)
4. the P+ and LRAWD have bigger batteries, check out A Better Routeplanner use the advanced options and see if your regular journeys look good, life is a little different compared to ICEs, most people here seem / intend to charge at home but everyone is appreciating the increase in public charging infrastructure.
5. Prepare yourself for the agony - you've seen it all here, random factors are at play.
6. Personally I think the tipping point has happened, you'd be mad not to. The range / price factor means that pure battery EVs are really competing with ICEs for price. Hybrids are starting to look a little bit odd compared to BEVs, cost per kWh of batteries means it no longer makes sense to put an ICE in to support the lack of batteries. It's no longer the preserve of the green or geek minded. You may have already read about the joys and irritations here, so you get a sense of what it's about.

Carry on doing your homework, I've become (even more of) a bore & my Mrs has heard all the stats, I glossed over the performance, it was mainly about economics and calming her range anxiety. A couple of weeks after I put my order in she ordered an M3 to replace her work car. Her current car is similar money but the savings on tax and fuel mean she will be significantly better off on a monthly basis.

Good luck ;)

Hi From sunny Worthing ;) give me a wave if you see a black P- on the A27!

Can't add much except for range, I did a trip to North Norfolk last week (190 miles) Started with 100% and finished with approx 42% so on long trips taking it steady (70-80) where possible 300+ miles is easily achievable in this weather.