Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2024 Model Y Break-in period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new Tesla owner, for that matter a new EV owner, I have what might be an absurd question. For every new ICE vehicle I have owned, there is a break in period of 500 - 1000 miles, where you return to the dealer for an oil change, gerneral inspection of the vehicle, etc. Is there any reason, thought, guidance regarding a break in period for an EV. I have tried to ring my local Tesla service department, which is impossible since no one, “live” answers and any message I leave is not returned. So, I thought I would pose this question to all the experts on this forum, which I have found great, as a new owner. Thank you.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
As a new Tesla owner, for that matter a new EV owner, I have what might be an absurd question. For every new ICE vehicle I have owned, there is a break in period of 500 - 1000 miles, where you return to the dealer for an oil change, gerneral inspection of the vehicle, etc. Is there any reason, thought, guidance regarding a break in period for an EV. I have tried to ring my local Tesla service department, which is impossible since no one, “live” answers and any message I leave is not returned. So, I thought I would pose this question to all the experts on this forum, which I have found great, as a new owner. Thank you.
LOL - No need to break in the rings and cylinders on an EV.

Is there any reason, thought, guidance regarding a break in period for an EV

The answer to this is, in general, "No, there is no real need for a break in period for a Tesla". The slightly more nuanced answer is the one that @ColoDriver gave, in that it certainly wont hurt anything, but its also not necessary.

The answer to this is, in general, "No, there is no real need for a break in period for a Tesla". The slightly more nuanced answer is the one that @ColoDriver gave, in that it certainly wont hurt anything, but its also not necessary.
Thanks to everyone who responded. I knew it was an odd question, but if you don’t ask you don’t learn. I do love the car and I’m sure I’ll come up with more odd-ball questions along the way. Thanks again.

I'm shocked none of you "experts" here mentioned the new tires on the new car?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The "releasing agent" (which is slick) on the tire tread needs to be worn off, AFAIK, needing around 100 miles to wear off.

Tires need 600-`1000 miles to fully break in.

Reactions: electricar
I'm shocked none of you "experts" here mentioned the new tires on the new car?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The "releasing agent" (which is slick) on the tire tread needs to be worn off, AFAIK, needing around 100 miles to wear off.

Tires need 600-`1000 miles to fully break in.
OMG, the attorneys have got hold of the tire companies. I've probably installed 2 dozen sets of new tires, and all I've ever done is drive the snot out of them.

So, ok, maybe don't push it too hard in the rain on corners.

If there was any serious safety issue, the mfg would scrub them off themselves.

No one ever said anything about driving easy on new tires, in person after installing, or in the fine print on the invoice (I read everything, I think I have a problem).

I have no doubt that real car guys do such a thing, but 99% of the folks have never heard of it. So, no, no need. (If there was a need, we'd have heard about all the brake issues by now.)
Many things which are uncommon knowledge are also a good idea. It's not *necessary*, in that your brakes will work, but it does help the life of your brakes, and can even improve performance. Dealers might fail to mention this because they're happy to have you come back for brake servicing. As always, it's smart to be a dog who's willing to learn new tricks.

Reactions: Pianewman
Many things which are uncommon knowledge are also a good idea. It's not *necessary*, in that your brakes will work, but it does help the life of your brakes, and can even improve performance. Dealers might fail to mention this because they're happy to have you come back for brake servicing. As always, it's smart to be a dog who's willing to learn new tricks.
I had occasion to have to emergency stop in the first 25 miles I had my MYP. Standing on the brakes. You can tell big time when they aren't broken in yet as your stopping power just isn't 100% yet. That is why I posted about it.

OMG, the attorneys have got hold of the tire companies. I've probably installed 2 dozen sets of new tires, and all I've ever done is drive the snot out of them.

No one ever said anything about driving easy on new tires, in person after installing, or in the fine print on the invoice (I read everything, I think I have a problem).

The info I posted is industry standard. Tire tread/carcass longevity is increased by gentle break in. Tire "release agent" is a known quantity.

• Informative
Reactions: OxBrew
I guess race tires don't need a "release agent" to get out of the mold.
Pretty sure they are scuffed (aren’t they called scuffs) before being put on a car in competition.
You definitely still need to bed in the brakes over the first 100 miles or so.
On new aircraft brakes we brake hard on the first landing to get them good and hot. Not sure that’s done on automobile brakes.

I’ve had an occasion or two where I was a bit too aggressive with brand new tires and found out exactly why the recommendation of taking it easy the first few hundred miles or so.

I think it’s really more of, “for most people” so long as they aren’t super spirited or aggressive, any kind of break-in period won’t be any different from their normal driving.

As for the rest of us… chances are good, you/we/they already experienced exactly what it is you need to do and why.