Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ or LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an SR+. Charge to 80%, which is ~190miles, drive around 40-50miles per day, rinse repeat. Sometimes we go 2-3 days without charging it. The charge rate won’t matter much as most of it will be done at home. Road trips are where you normally supercharge and it sounds like you have the roomy minivan for that use case.

The extra range is only useful if you plan on using it. The LR also has AWD and premium interior stuff. If you don’t need or want these things then save the money and get an SR+.

Extra range might help with resale value down the road as well.

Reactions: Msjulie
Extra range might help with resale value down the road as well.

Possibly, but you have to spend ~$10k more to get it. Also, resale value is tricky because the prices of these cars keep dropping anyway. One could argue the SR+ has less depreciation in it because it starts off life $39k - $1875 tax credit. The market may be willing to pay $30-32k all day long for a 2 year old SR+ but the $48k LR AWD may fall to $36-38k after 2 years. It will be interesting to see what the market will bear for these cars in 2-3 years.

For reference, here are some real auction sales for 2018 LR AWD M3s. Now that the new prices have dropped we will expect to see a similar drop at the auction.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 7.52.50 PM.png

Here are some 2018 LR 2WD auction sales.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 7.56.23 PM.png

Reactions: zannman
Hi all,

My needs at the moment are met by SR+. However work and family changes can mean my commute can change. If I were leasing the car, I would have gone with SR+. Owning the car means that I cannot predict my commute situation 4-5 years from now and a little (albeit expensive) future proofing means the longer range is a better option. I decided to order a M3 LR AWD

Thanks you all for your advice.