Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Standard 220 range 172 mile commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just over a month now with the SR and all is fine. The 3 standard range works for my needs so far. Sometimes I'll stop for a few minutes of super charging on the way home, most days it's not needed. Typically arrive home with 16 to 18 % battery left so it's not as bad as I originally thought. Cabin heat protection setting changed to fan only because it was draining the battery quite a bit.

If you have to stop sometimes on the way home to supercharge now (when weather is warmer), I am curious what your experience will be during the winter months. Can you check back in with us when it gets colder and let us know what your experience is then?

How about asking your employer to use a 120V plug while at work? Even at $.30/KWh, you're talking about less than $5 per day. The 30 to 50 miles range you'd add during the work day would

a) allow a lower departure SOC, bettering battery life,
b) allow a higher return-home SOC, bettering battery life,
c) likely eliminate SC stops, at least in warm weather, and
d) maybe allow a little preheating in cold weather.

Sigh. It does not have to be an alternative fuel vehicle to get over 30 mpg. There are plenty of cars like the Civic or Corolla or Ford Fiesta that are fairly common that get over 30 mpg. Obviously those are not as big sellers as the trucks and SUVs right now, but you don't need to make it sound like it's some unheard of phenomenon like trying to locate the Loch Ness Monster.

Heck my parents Nissan Rogue gets over 30 mpg consistently. It has over 100,000 miles and has been perfect for them.

Reactions: Rocky_H
How about asking your employer to use a 120V plug while at work? Even at $.30/KWh, you're talking about less than $5 per day. The 30 to 50 miles range you'd add during the work day would

a) allow a lower departure SOC, bettering battery life,
b) allow a higher return-home SOC, bettering battery life,
c) likely eliminate SC stops, at least in warm weather, and
d) maybe allow a little preheating in cold weather.

There is a charging station about 2 blocks from my office. It is a chargepoint 1772 w/ 6Kw/hr - cost is $1.50 for 2 hours.

How about just "upgrading" and keeping it an SR+? With all of that driving, Autopilot will be a huge benefit.

We are deciding on adding another Tesla to our garage. Scheduled to pickup an X 100D tomorrow so we are debating what to do with our current gas guzzler. If we do get it I'll be driving that thing instead of the little toy 3 car which will be hers to use on her short daily trips.

We are deciding on adding another Tesla to our garage. Scheduled to pickup an X 100D tomorrow so we are debating what to do with our current gas guzzler. If we do get it I'll be driving that thing instead of the little toy 3 car which will be hers to use on her short daily trips.

Problem solved! Congrats on the new X. That will be far more comfortable for your long daily commute.