Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 washing by hand (2 bucket method)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't rain water contain bits which could scratch the paintwork?
Well, that's a fair point. In my system, the rain water runs into one barrel from the drainpipe then passes to the rest of the system so that first tanks acts as a settling tank. I take the feed to the front of the house (where I wash the car) from the second tank and it's always been crystal clear.

I just foam it for pre-wash. Then rinse that off and use one bucket with car shampoo to clean the rest. I do 2 cars which takes about 1 hour for the exterior. Another 30 min to an hour to do interior...

I applied Gtechniq EXO V4 (ignoring the proper procedure and just rubbing it on and buffing it off with a cloth). Works a treat.

Once the car shampoo runs out I'll probably abandon the bucket all together and get shampoo foam.

The drying part takes probably half the time, so de-ionising water is interesting, but not sure if it would work with a pressure washer.

I have a DI water, pressure washer and ceramic coat.

I’m quiet happy to collect dirt until the worst of the season is over. My car like most doesn’t have mud flaps and there is a known issue with micro scratches with salt in the winter months. In the winter the dirt is truly adding extra layer of protection.

Other seasons I’ll wash every 3-4 weeks depending on condition. I use wax safe products so I’m not continually reapplying wax.

Most of the work is done by a good quality foam (I’m using Maguires) and pressure washer. I can usually detail and apply a wet sealant in 30-45m. Some of this is helped by the DI water and ceramic.

I’m worried about washing frequently in the winter as I honestly think that you end up with more clear coat damage.

View attachment 504246

I don’t buy that dirt is a layer of protection.

If anyone rubs a dirty car it will scratch it. It does happen.

I also think power washers and cars don’t mix. They do more harm than good.

I do agree you don’t want to over do it and wash to often. I wash when I get break in weather and forecast looks good (that includes not to much snow melting).

Mud flaps are your friend. They cut down frequency of washing, car looks better between washes and reduces sand blasting the sides of the car. They have surprisingly had little impact on efficiency and can look pretty good.

My wife told me she had "washed" her car by herself (first time ever) the other day. What that actually meant is that she had taken it to the local jetwash and sprayed it, remembering not to use the foam brush, which left the car looking like a zebra. Needless to say it was somehow my fault so I was forced to wash both cars.