Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR trade in for MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I could trade in my nearly brand new 3 for a Y without taking a $20K bath on it, LOL. I would have gotten a Y but the prices felt so out of whack that it just wasn't worth it. At the current price point, I'd have gone for it.

Oh well, that's life. I'll keep the 3 until I get tired of it, or about 18 months based on my history. Then I'm going to be another EV, but it won't be Tesla.

I wish I could trade in my nearly brand new 3 for a Y without taking a $20K bath on it, LOL. I would have gotten a Y but the prices felt so out of whack that it just wasn't worth it. At the current price point, I'd have gone for it.

Oh well, that's life. I'll keep the 3 until I get tired of it, or about 18 months based on my history. Then I'm going to be another EV, but it won't be Tesla.
when you take a $20k bath does that include the $7500 credit you getting? if that's the case it is a $13000 bath? I just afraid in 10-18 months your used tesla will tank even more. Basically Tesla is an appliance, .. once purchase it is worthless.

when you take a $20k bath does that include the $7500 credit you getting? if that's the case it is a $13000 bath? I just afraid in 10-18 months your used tesla will tank even more. Basically Tesla is an appliance, .. once purchase it is worthless.
Relax. Used cars are supposed to, and always have, dropped quickly in value. Everyone acts like the crazy bizarre first time in the history of the world pandemic used car situation was normal. Used cars drop fast in value. They are luxurious expenses, nothing more. The sky is not falling, and Tesla has not brought about the end of existence as we know it.

In fact, the IRA and Tesla have basically just caused exactly what was intended.....MASSIVE, WIDESPREAD INFLATION REDUCTION. Hooray!!!!
1)New Teslas, WAY cheaper.
2) Used Teslas, WAY cheaper
3) Other brands of new EV's will be forced to drop prices, yay!
4) Other brands of used EV's will have to be much cheaper to have a chance to sell. yay!

No one is going to buy a used Mustang Mach E for $55k anymore. Try $35k
No one is going to buy a used MY or M3 for 45, 50, 60k anymore. Try $35k

This is fantastic news.

Last edited:

I had a 3LR then went to a Y Performance and went back to a 3LR. The Y doesn’t not drive as well (feels slower although it isnt) and does not sit much higher off the ground. Now if you need the space that’s a different question.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I paid $55k for my 22 red M3LR last year and now considering trading it in for a MYP as it’s $53k. Does anyone have experience with trading in M3 to get a new MY? Curious if it’s worth it or is Tesla going to screw me in value?
IMO - Used values dropped significantly and so did the new ones - same direction. Not only Teslas, everything! My 21 Acura RDX Aspec AWD went from $46k trade in 3 months ago to $36K now. Sure it will be less by summer. It is what it is.

MYP - is $56,990 + delivery and TTl (for White with black int - other colors are more). Does not qualify for the IRA EV tax credit (its above $55k).

If you like you almost new M3LR, I recommend buying the "performance boast", get some new wheels, a carbon spoiler, pedals and you'll have close to a M3P. $2k-5K depending on what you do to your M3LR. Otherwise it's going to cost you a chunk of change.

If you want a MYP - go drive one first, as it drives more like a sort SUV with a lot more space, than a 3 that's super sporty.

Last edited: