Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MagSafe and Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone has found a way to use MagSafe with Model 3 in Australia? The only power I have in mine is the 2 regular USB ports in the front console and that isn't enough to power the MagSafe cable. I was wondering if there is a workaround anyone has found?

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to use MagSafe with Model 3 in Australia? The only power I have in mine is the 2 regular USB ports in the front console and that isn't enough to power the MagSafe cable. I was wondering if there is a workaround anyone has found?
1620090534975.png

Does it have to be MagSafe? The older models have the wireless charging mod and works reliably from all the posts. Magsafe has its advantages ( I use it at home) but I see little use of that in a car..

So you can change the two normal USB-A USB ports to a USB-A + USB-C port pretty quickly. It will provide 9v 3a (27w) of power per USB-C port, you can also upgrade the rear two ports (that is pretty much a pull off, plug adapter in and push on the new part change).

Similar to this method:
Then just get a new Jeda V4 wireless charger (it has Magsafe magnets), though doesn't do 15W charging cause of the Apple proprietary adapter. It says it will charge at 7.5W for iPhone or 15W for Android.

Does it have to be MagSafe? The older models have the wireless charging mod and works reliably from all the posts. Magsafe has its advantages ( I use it at home) but I see little use of that in a car..
I have it in my car. I mounted a MagSafe charger to the right side of the dash and tucked the cord behind the dash down to the power in the console. The MagSafe holds the phone even through hard acceleration all while charging at a high rate. No need for a different case or bulky mount. Best mount setup I’ve ever had.