Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor TWRAPS MagSafe Compatible charger for 2021-2023 Model 3 and Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iyordanov

Global Vendor
May 31, 2021
Bay Area
Hey folks

Iliya from TWRAPS here.
We get asked a lot to make a MagSafe charger for the 2021-2023 Model 3/Y, because the iPhone camera bump was preventing a decent charge at the OEM charger.
I am happy to say that we've finally developed one. Since the OEM charger is built in a way that won't allow you to easily connect a another charger there (no USB-C port nearby), I've designed the charger to be in front of the cup holders.
You can see a demo video here:

You can purchase the charger from our store at:

Make sure to use coupon code GASGONE for 10% off 👍🏻

Since this is v1 of the charger, I wouldn't be surprised if we receive some suggestions for improvements. Since we design & manufacture everything in-house (in California), we can make changes very quickly, so if you have any suggestions, please shoot :)

Thanks!

Reactions: danny
Hi!
This looks pretty good - what is the maximum power output for each charging puck (likely dependent on then single USB-C port powering them both) in single / combined use?
15W per puck or 20W total (if both engaged). Have in mind that iOS limits non-Apple pucks to 7.5W theoretically, although in my testing I was able to get 10W 🤷🏻‍♂️ (for 1 puck)

Reactions: Asad Chaudhary
I’ve been searching for a MagSafe charger for my 2022 Model Y and was excited when I saw this post. Until I saw the price, and then the location of the MagSafe charger. I think if this were molded to the OEM wireless charging pad and just covered it, it would be a win and possibly worth the $89 price tag. Similar to this:

But, since this just goes in the center console, seems like it would be just as easy to buy a MagSafe charger or even just plug in a usb c cable and just put your phone in the center console for less.
If you decide to develop version 2 that goes over the OEM charging pad, I’d be a customer.

I’ve been searching for a MagSafe charger for my 2022 Model Y and was excited when I saw this post. Until I saw the price, and then the location of the MagSafe charger. I think if this were molded to the OEM wireless charging pad and just covered it, it would be a win and possibly worth the $89 price tag. Similar to this:

But, since this just goes in the center console, seems like it would be just as easy to buy a MagSafe charger or even just plug in a usb c cable and just put your phone in the center console for less.
If you decide to develop version 2 that goes over the OEM charging pad, I’d be a customer.
I hear you! The issue is that most people are not overly excited about the prospect of drilling holes in their OEM charging pad, so they can get to some sort of power. And running a long visible cord is also not optimal. That's why we didn't design one that goes over the existing pad - due to lack of power there, unless you disassemble a bunch of things.

I hear you! The issue is that most people are not overly excited about the prospect of drilling holes in their OEM charging pad, so they can get to some sort of power. And running a long visible cord is also not optimal. That's why we didn't design one that goes over the existing pad - due to lack of power there, unless you disassemble a bunch of things.
I think you’ve underestimated the Tesla fan base. While researching a solution for a DIY version, there’s lots of interest in an OEM looking MagSafe charger. Hiding the wires running through the center console is easy. Yes, drilling a small hole may cause some hesitation, but would be done to get a clean looking MagSafe charger. The biggest roadblock now is there’s no hard plastic charging mat covers available to glue MagSafe chargers to, they’re all silicone.

I searched and searched and never found a solution where the built in charger could be replaced by magsafe pucks and so eventually I just modified my center console myself. It pulls off really easily with just snaps, no screws or anything. You can find tear-apart videos. Then I just removed the wireless charging module via 4 screws, and cut holes in the back of the plastic using a dremel. I nicked the back of the alcantara just BARELY in a couple spots on the right side and it keeps me up at night. But on the driver's side I managed to do it without damaging the alcantara. After the holes are cut you just need a plastic pry tool and you slowly and carefully peel the plastic circle you cut out off. Just go slowly so you don't rip the alcantara. When you're done the alcantara fabric will be all stretched out. Just use a heat gun or hair dryer and it will shrink back down and tighten up. Pro tip - blow on the BACK of it so you don't mess up the fabric, I applied too much heat on the front and it gets a little rough (I think it melted slightly).

Then I got some magsafe chargers with really strong magnets (I tried the OEM apple ones but the magnets aren't strong enough). I got these which ended up being less expensive than the OEM apple magsafe chargers and with way stronger magnets Amazon.com .

In the end I'm pretty happy with it other than that tiny nick where I cut through the fabric. I'd love to get a new sheet of Alcantara and just reapply the entire thing but I'm having a hard time finding it anywhere. If anyone knows a seller let me know!

For those wondering - yes there's still a camera bump so it won't sit fully flush, but since I positioned it to be perfectly aligned with my 15 pro max and the magnets are so strong it still charges well. Bonus - these wireless chargers use QC 3.0 so if you get the right 12v plug you can output 15w to EACH of these and get a pretty fast charge. Especially if you have a magsafe case that smooths the camera bump down a bit. I ran the cables back to the center console and pop them up in the very back corners so when the center console is closed you can't see any wires. They're easy to tuck into the trim.

Attachments

• IMG_0202 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0202 Large.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0120 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0120 Large.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0121 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0121 Large.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0123 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0123 Large.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0201 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0201 Large.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0203 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0203 Large.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0204 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0204 Large.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0205 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0205 Large.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0206 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0206 Large.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Kairide
Hey folks

Iliya from TWRAPS here.
We get asked a lot to make a MagSafe charger for the 2021-2023 Model 3/Y, because the iPhone camera bump was preventing a decent charge at the OEM charger.
I am happy to say that we've finally developed one. Since the OEM charger is built in a way that won't allow you to easily connect a another charger there (no USB-C port nearby), I've designed the charger to be in front of the cup holders.
You can see a demo video here:

You can purchase the charger from our store at:

Make sure to use coupon code GASGONE for 10% off 👍🏻

Since this is v1 of the charger, I wouldn't be surprised if we receive some suggestions for improvements. Since we design & manufacture everything in-house (in California), we can make changes very quickly, so if you have any suggestions, please shoot :)

Thanks!
Nice! I ordered two for my 2021 model 3's!

I searched and searched and never found a solution where the built in charger could be replaced by magsafe pucks and so eventually I just modified my center console myself. It pulls off really easily with just snaps, no screws or anything. You can find tear-apart videos. Then I just removed the wireless charging module via 4 screws, and cut holes in the back of the plastic using a dremel. I nicked the back of the alcantara just BARELY in a couple spots on the right side and it keeps me up at night. But on the driver's side I managed to do it without damaging the alcantara. After the holes are cut you just need a plastic pry tool and you slowly and carefully peel the plastic circle you cut out off. Just go slowly so you don't rip the alcantara. When you're done the alcantara fabric will be all stretched out. Just use a heat gun or hair dryer and it will shrink back down and tighten up. Pro tip - blow on the BACK of it so you don't mess up the fabric, I applied too much heat on the front and it gets a little rough (I think it melted slightly).

Then I got some magsafe chargers with really strong magnets (I tried the OEM apple ones but the magnets aren't strong enough). I got these which ended up being less expensive than the OEM apple magsafe chargers and with way stronger magnets Amazon.com .

In the end I'm pretty happy with it other than that tiny nick where I cut through the fabric. I'd love to get a new sheet of Alcantara and just reapply the entire thing but I'm having a hard time finding it anywhere. If anyone knows a seller let me know!

For those wondering - yes there's still a camera bump so it won't sit fully flush, but since I positioned it to be perfectly aligned with my 15 pro max and the magnets are so strong it still charges well. Bonus - these wireless chargers use QC 3.0 so if you get the right 12v plug you can output 15w to EACH of these and get a pretty fast charge. Especially if you have a magsafe case that smooths the camera bump down a bit. I ran the cables back to the center console and pop them up in the very back corners so when the center console is closed you can't see any wires. They're easy to tuck into the trim.
There's no way I'm going to attempt this, but I love and appreciate that you did it and shared it