Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main House Fuse Deteriorated - Tesla charging responsible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main house fuse is burnt and causing pulsing lights in the house. Also, the Wall Charger doesn't work.

I got my Model Y in August. I had a Tesla Wall Charger installed with 60 amp breakers and was charging at 48 amps.

Hawaiian Electric inspected the main fuse box and said it is deteriorated and should be replaced. The electrician says that main fuses last about 25 years in Hawaii. My house is 35 years old. I feel that the Wall Charger caused the deterioration. I should have used a lower charge setting.

I am using the mobile charger to charge off a wall plug on a different circuit until the fuse is fixed.

So if you are in an older house, you should not charge at the highest rate.

^ exactly

I charge my Tesla and Smart EV in a gravel floor garage made in 1920.
Obviously, I have them on modern electrical lines that I have run expressly for this purpose.
The age of the structure isn't the issue, the electrical system needs to be evaluated and weaknesses identified if you're going to be adding 50A x 240V continuous loads.

While I did charge my Smart EV on a 120V 12A outlet plug that was circa 1960 for about a week before I upgraded the electrical to breakers (formerly fuses) and modern capable and proper gauge wiring, the 12A load was well under the spec of the wiring (which was open/exposed so I knew exactly what it looked like), but the outlet was old and certainly got warm, so I upgraded in a hurry.

My message was a warning. If you are adding a wall charger and your main circuit breaker is more than 25 years, be careful. My electrical system was working fine and it went bad a month after I started charging my new Tesla. I doubt it was a coincidence.

• Disagree
Reactions: LN1_Casey
My message was a warning. If you are adding a wall charger and your main circuit breaker is more than 25 years, be careful. My electrical system was working fine and it went bad a month after I started charging my new Tesla. I doubt it was a coincidence.

It wasn't working fine, if it were, the extra load wouldn't have affected anything. The installation of the wall charger exposed a preexisting issue.