TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Mandatory Tesla AP training required before activation?

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by Pdub2015, Jul 13, 2016.

Should Tesla make AP training mandatory before the functionality can be activated?

1. Yes

2. Yes, and make it retroactive for current owners

3. No, and go away with your nanny suggestions

1. Pdub2015

Pdub2015 Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Wheaton, MD
    After reading about the most recent incident involving a driver who clearly did not understand the limitations of his Tesla's AP technology, I've finally become convinced that the factory should create and deploy a mandatory training program for everyone who wishes to activated and use their car's AP functionality.

It doesn't have to be long and drawn out, perhaps 30 minutes to an hour, delivered via webcast or maybe in person at the nearest Tesla shop. Maybe it can draw from whatever training is given to Tesla sales reps; or maybe it can enhance sales rep training. In any event, what's clear to me is that 1) not everyone reads the damn owner's manual and 2) not every Tesla owner takes the time to understand the nuances and limitations of this complicated technology.

We've seen the videos of the yahoos treating it as if it were some type of game, and we've read the tragic story of Joshua Brown. What we need is to make sure everyone who uses the system actually knows how it works before hand.
  2. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I would agree unfortunately. It could be something as simple as a video at the dealership, followed by a simple Q&A and an "I understand the limitations of the system" signature.
    • Like x 1