Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map area greyed out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Sorry to ask a daft question. When on the Map view, why do some areas look to be a darker colour to surrounding areas. See attached image.

And no... this is not where I live. Why is the area with the red arrow a different colour to the surrounding (green) areas.

Many thanks

IMG_8274.jpg

It isn’t greyed out. It’s just different satellite/aerial images stitched together, if they’re taken at a different time of day, or season, or a cloud was obscuring the sun a bit more than the previous image etc.

All map apps have the same image artefacts to some degree, because it isn’t possible to photograph everything at once in the same conditions. I see at least 3 different shadings on your image, brown at the top, green around the edge, and grey in the middle.

Example of a similar issue in Google maps:

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpeg
    IMG_0831.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
That is a fantastic answer. Thankyou. Also did a quick check on Google Maps on my laptop and you are right, it appears there too.

However makes me think, why the different images cannot be normalised as part of the stitching together process. E.g. Same elevation, same, locality, similar density of features = balance colours.

Clearly not a priority, but I am surprised It has not been done. Really a question for Google I guess who supply the maps.

Reactions: boombap
The images keep getting updated, so what do you normalise to? If you normalise to the first images then if newer images come with better colour do you degrade them to keep them looking like the old ones?
You'd also have to normalise the whole world to avoid any differences in a particular section.

Reactions: boombap
I thought this thread was going to be about map tiles not uploading and appearing as black on the map or only uploading very slowly. Uploading seems to have got worse for me in recent months. Have others experienced this?

This thread perhaps?

Reactions: init6